How much is Gabby worth ?

walesavfc

Well I'm not going to jump on the Gabby bandwagon as I have been very critical of him for as long as I remember. Though I have been critical I have always said that he has a place at Villa and for me that would be as an impact player, coming off the bench to exploit the tired legs of our opponents defenders for the last 20 minutes...

I've always thought that his only above average attribute has been his pace, going past players for Gabby is 4 out of 5 times hit and run as his dribbling skills are not that great. Positionially he looks clueless most of the time and he picks out the wrong pass too often for my liking. In front of goal its at best the toss of a coin to if he'll put it in the net and considering the amount of both clear cut and half chances he misses dont make up for the goals he's scored or created during his time in the side.

I think there are a lot of people getting very excited about Gabby based on the first handful of games this season. Prior to the Wigan game I dont think he'd showed anything more than he has previously, I'm not taking away his goals from him, he's done well to score the goals but again he's missed a lot of chances and his movement particularly in the Bolton game was dissapointing.

The above said I watched Gabby for pretty much most of the Wigan game and was impressed with his movement and desire to get on the ball. The cross for Bents goal was a quality one, not just the kick into the box he usually delivers. He took is goal well and he looked like a striker that could contend for a place in any premier league side.

I hope that he's "come of age" and we're now seeing the real Gabby, he's got the heart that's for sure, just his ability for me thats been in question and at a time where the club and its fans are going through a rough time I hope that I've been wrong all along and he's exactly what we need to, a star to get behind and base the next squad we build on. Time will tell.

To answer what he's worth, I think it would take about 13 million for us to let him go in the current climate regards inflated transfer fees and also considering he probably has 3/4 years left where he's going to be quicker than the average bear...

Thats a post i can really relate too.

I have been a bit unconvinced with Gabby in the past, but that performance against Wigan was one of his best.

I was most impressed with his movement which was one of my criticisms of him.

He took his goal" Rooney style" with all the confidence and aplomb of a United player..... no hesitancy, no second bites, pure confidence and slick delivery.

One of the real fillip's in football is when you have doubts on a player and he proves you wrong..... good on ya Gab.

Agree he will be back to mediocre soon enough. He's lucky his first goal went in as he should have undoubtedly passed to Bent there.

Pretty much one of the most ridiculous posts I have read on here.

Erm why? Bent had an open goal! Gabby took a risk and it paid off but should that situation ever arise again Gabby should pass it to Bent I'd expect Bent to do likewise in that situation. An open goal is much easier than one with a goal-keeper and defenders in front of it.

Only a week ago Gabby was anonymous vs QPR! Yes he had one of his best matches in ages against Gary Caldwell on Saturday but rest assured Caldwell is terrible. Lets not get carried away and start comparing Gabby to Henry :lol: There's been plenty of Gabby false dawns in the past.

That's like saying Petrov should have passed it square against Everton instead of shooting, or Gary Cahill should have headed the ball back across the area against small heath rather than try a ridiculous overhead kick. It makes absolutely no sense what you are saying IMO.

As for being anonymous against QPR, if we can't even get out our own half in the first period I'm not sure how I'd expect a striker to be in the game. He also assisted our only goal in the game as well.

Gabby's form (should he sustain it) has made it 2 players other teams may look at during the next window or the one after that. I would love to think that both Bent and Bent will be Villa players at the start of next season or at worst half way through this one but every player has his price and it seems that every player will make a move if it doubles his wages. I would love Gabby to be the one that shows he would put loyalty above wages and winning medals (the old excuse for leaving) but for me if he performs like he has been doing of late consistently and we continue to look to profitable player trading as a club then it is a question of when he may go rather than if. :cry:

Gabby's form (should he sustain it) has made it 2 players other teams may look at during the next window or the one after that. I would love to think that both Bent and Bent will be Villa players at the start of next season or at worst half way through this one but every player has his price and it seems that every player will make a move if it doubles his wages. I would love Gabby to be the one that shows he would put loyalty above wages and winning medals (the old excuse for leaving) but for me if he performs like he has been doing of late consistently and we continue to look to profitable player trading as a club then it is a question of when he may go rather than if. :cry:

Bent and Bent sound like a firm of dodgy lawyers! :winkold:

I prefer not to get dragged in to which of our best players will stay or go. It involves too much guesswork and may, or may not, end in disappointment.

That's like saying Petrov should have passed it square against Everton instead of shooting, or Gary Cahill should have headed the ball back across the area against small heath rather than try a ridiculous overhead kick. It makes absolutely no sense what you are saying IMO.

They are strange examples. If you watch Barca/Arsenal they would usually pass in the situation Gabby was in. In this instance he scored so no problem but play that scenario 100 times over 50 times he passes to Bent, 50 times he shoots. Now which scenario would result in the most goals? :winkold:

It's a real pet-hate of mine I've even called Bannan out for it earlier in the season (and so did Mcleish).

Arsenal built a dynasty on this extra pass concept, and still score plenty of goals with it.

They are strange examples. If you watch Barca/Arsenal they would usually pass in the situation Gabby was in. In this instance he scored so no problem but play that scenario 100 times over 50 times he passes to Bent, 50 times he shoots. Now which scenario would result in the most goals? :winkold:

It's a real pet-hate of mine I've even called Bannan out for it earlier in the season (and so did Mcleish).

Arsenal built a dynasty on this extra pass concept, and still score plenty of goals with it.

Actually if you watched the game you will see that Bent had been clever in moving to the far side of the goal thus creating sopace for Gabby and also dragging the keeper across his goal to try to anticipate the expected pass to Bent. Thus allowing Gabby to score at the near post. Good play all round by both strikers.

Stop having a go at Gabby for something he hasn't done yet! Fair play if his form dips then feel free to critize but this is all because Gabby said GH was a poor manager.

They also missed a shit load of chances by trying to walk it into the net.

Is this all because Gabby had a pop at your beloved Mr. Houllier?

Gabby is a striker, he gets paid to put the ball in the onion bag, thats exactly what he did, not sure what your problem is?

If Gabby would have passed and Bent **** it up, you'd be going crazy at Gabby for not shooting!

Sounds to me like your argueing for the hell of it!

Who compared him to Vassell ?

Vassell was with us for 7 years and scored 35 goals.

Agbonlahor has already scored 52 in league for us

obviously reading is not your strong point

i said he is like vassel ( and here is the important bit) IN THAT HE WILL DO HIS BEST WORK AT VILLA

i dont recall putting their stats together and doing a direct comparrison of end product?

why do some posters read things which clearly are not there?

They're pretty much the same though. Gabby scored and it was a superb finish so really what we are arguing doesn't matter. I just don't see how this can be used to criticise him.

A couple of weels ago I talked about the potential for him leaving and what would happen if a bod of 14M came in. I was slagged off for this and people saying tere is no way we would get a 14M bid and if we did we wuld snap their hands off.

I still think 14M would be a good price

I am sure if he keeps this form up there are bound to be clubs eyeing him up

I wouldn’t trust us to invest the money wisely.

According to some we did well selling Milner, Young And Downing for the prices we did. And then we promptly invested poorly.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. Still doesn't mean that could stop someone bidding or us accepting.

To me Gabby is one of the more underrated players in the league, always amazes me when fans of other clubs (and even on here ) just seem to think he's a speed merchant.

Maybe in 2006 but since then he's improved his strength, finishing and his technique seems to have come on a lot over the last 6 months. Only thing I'd like to see from him now is to go on to regularly score more than once in a game, when he scores one goal he often dosen't regularly go on to get a brace or even a hattrick. once he does that he could be touching 20 goals.

I think I also put it on here a few years ago after he scored against Fulham, he's also reasonably two footed as he set up the Bent goal with his left foot and he's scored quite a few with his left down the years.

He is worth much more to us than what another club is willing to pay.

Unless he seriously falls out with someone he will be at the club for life IMO and become our very own Ryan Giggs playing well into his late 30's.

Â