• Ireland
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey (for Ireland 56)
    • N'Zogbia (for Bent 74)

Decent showing, nothing spectacular but something we can hopefully build on. It was a little worrying that it took two pieces of individual excellence from Gabby to give us what we really needed from this game, but as long as he's playing that well I guess there's no problem.

Not quite sure why some here seem so underwhelmed with Ireland today, since he had a good game. He and Bannan share credit for much of our positive work, although unfortunately it didn't lead to much (see the above comment about being worried due to relying on Gabby). The more that Bannan and Ireland start together, the better an understanding they can build up. Warnock too looked very good, showing none of the rashness or unreliability that's coloured our opinions of him.

Wigan looked dismal, though. They put me in mind of us last season - decent amount of tippy tappy possession in their own half, but no ideas and near zero goal threat. Seeing how they couldn't even be arsed to attack the ball in our area at 0-2 down almost made me pissed off on their fans' behalf. Really we did the minimum expected, but at least we did it comfortably.

Negatives were Delph still looking poor, the fact that we didn't miss Nzog at all (more a depressing fact than a negative), Bent looking lost until Gabby set him up and the continual penalty risk that is Hutton. I'll be surprised if he doesn't give away a couple this season, although it was nice to see him blocking down a shot at 91 minutes with his hands clasped behind his back - he's aware he's been a risk and he's trying not to be.

I'm happy with a win today, especially as I was far from convinced we'd get one. Plenty of positives on display.

But I'm not going to get carried away with this results, just as I'm not going to get incredibly upset when Man City turn us over. Broadly speaking I still have a negative attitude to the way McLeish's reign has gone so far. If we carry on getting a few decent results over our next few matches, my opinion on that might start to change. And I hope it does, I really do. But we'll see.

I'm happy with a win today, especially as I was far from convinced we'd get one. Plenty of positives on display.

But I'm not going to get carried away with this results, just as I'm not going to get incredibly upset when Man City turn us over. Broadly speaking I still have a negative attitude to the way McLeish's reign has gone so far. If we carry on getting a few decent results over our next few matches, my opinion on that might start to change. And I hope it does, I really do. But we'll see.

Fair one. I'm in the same boat really. However whilst there is forward progression (literally) I think it's only fair to focus on the positive for a change.

We've looked a different side these last 135 minutes or so as they've taken to a new formation, new tactics. I hope it sticks.

We weren't on last!!!!

Mcleish in

Penultimate though..... at least Gabby got a couple of mentions off the MOTD spundits even if they didn't do an analysis of his good bits today.

Anyhows who cares.... been a good day as someone else posted with the Rugby this morning....the lovely sunshine and 3 points this afternoon!

A good all round performance.

We were lacking service from wide with Albrighton a little out of sorts and N'Zogbia still finding his feet. Full marks to AM, then, for getting his team selection and substitutions right in this one.

Special mentions too to the following players:

Ireland - good to see him get a run. You can see he is not quite as sharp as he could be and a little low on confidence but he can build on what he did today.

Warnock - I'm just not a fan but credit where it is due, he was faultless today both in defense and going forward.

Petrov - he didn't stand out for me which means he was doing exactly what he should be.

Bent - he really needed a goal and a cool finish it was too. More of that, thanks!

Agbonlahor - I don't have enough superlatives to describe his performance. Easily the standout on the pitch and relishing a role that doesn't force him wide all the time. Long may it continue!

Just watched the replay on TV. Great performance, we were never troubled at all. Stats dont mean jack shit, there was only one team on the pitch.

I dont get the Delph bashing on here? Sure, he makes some mistakes but his first touch and vision is class. He was not at all THAT bad as some posters are trying to make out.

Gabby MOTM really great performance, Bannan really good and a quality left foot. Dunne and Warnock good, Given and Petrov solid and reliable.

Bring on City :?

Don't think the side needs analyzing this week. Good result and nice to see Villa players pinging shots in from all directions.......with some on target as well!!

Gabby looks a player transformed this season. Hope he keeps it up.

Well done Benty.

Solid and decent win. They didn't hit the target before the 70th minute or something like that, did they?

Gabby was excellent and I guess the answer to the question where the goals will come from if Bent gets injured or out of form is now found.

Good for Bent to get a goal again.

Ireland had a good game and just needs a goal or two to get his confidence back. He lacked in the end product.

Bannan again shows that he's good enough for this league.

Warnock had his best game in a very long time.

The only question marks are around Delph and Hutton for me. They haven't been good so far this season. Then again, Hutton's only been here for a couple ofweeks. And Delph hasn't been that bad.

3 points, clean sheet, goals from Gabby and Bent who looks like they are starting to form a good partnership up there and glimpses of some nice play. The build up to Delphs shot was rather good. More of that, please.

Happy chappy.

I thought it was great performance yesterday. After the shambles of defending last year under Houllier, AMC has immediately sorted that out. And against wigan i thought there were signs of the attack coming together. Personally i think the signs for this season are good

A much needed result that appears to have brought the pro McLeish brigade out of the woodwork, good for you, enjoy it while it lasts.

Good Points:

Much better tempo of football.

Actually looked to pass and move for the most part (except Collins and to some degree Warnock who played long)

Warnocks distribution and contribution today was excellent (played long, but with quality and a target)

Pressed much higher up the pitch which meant we transitioned into attack much quicker

Bannans hollywood passes came off today for the most part, he looked to feed Gabby/Bent and feed them early

Gabby was very, very good and on his game today

Bad Points:

The triangle formation worked in possession, but didnt when we were not. Wigan were guilty of what we did last season to a large degree, playing for playings sake with no tempo or end product otherwise there might have been big problems.

Wigan opened us up too often for my liking, especially for a team playing their reserve frontline

Delph gave the ball away too often from a deep lying position which is a concern

The moment Heskey came on, we sacked playing football and decided to see who could knock his head off with the ball first

Alan Hutton hitting the first man every time he crossed the ball

Switching to 4-5-1 with 15 minutes left and then sitting back whilst they opened us up. We could have had no arguments if we had conceded during this period. Piss poor tactical decision when we were controlling the game.

Credit where credit is due, the team won. Personally, I see no reason to be crowing after defeating what essentially is a toothless Wigan side on a run of three consecutive defeats, get a result against Man City and I might think that McLeish has something hidden up his sleeve, at the moment, I remain to be convinced.

Mallam, I regularly lock horns with posters on here who contribute to reasoned argument. Your disrespect to posters who dont agree to your blinkered view is disgraceful and rarely backed up with anything except an abuse mentality that I would associate with a 12 year old (Sorry 12 year olds!)

Without wishing to fall out with you mate its a tad hypocritical to insult a poster (and for the record I don't know the history) and yet you start your post with a dig at a whole load of posters to this thread.

I consider myself to be a Villa fan not a supporter or hater of McLeish. I was at Villa Park today and we played well and won. Could we have played better? Yes, Were there mistakes? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes.

But at the end of the day we won and won easily.

What i dislike is that there are a whole bunch of fans out there who seemingly want us to fail. If we lose it proves their agenda regarding McLeish or Lerner or the Club or whatever. If we win its never quite the right sort of win or never quite good enough.

Well for the record I had a very pleasant afternoon at Villa Park in some barmy autumn sunshine. Not the best game I have seen but its three points. I'm guessing as you describe your location as Rome you we not there. Luckily I had the benefit of seeing everything that happened on the pitch.

I dont intend to fall out with anyone Harry, but the first line was in response to postings on pages 1 + 2. One swallow doesnt make a summer and I didnt think the performance was that emphatic. I guess we all see things differently.

Apart from that, I wrote as I saw the game and no, I am not in Rome, but neither was I at the game as I choose not to be. I did though watch the whole game, as I usually do every Saturday.

Disturbing how many pages a ratings and reactions thread has after a win compared to after a loss.

There are only so many times u can say, comfortable performance where Gabby was amazing. Not much to discuss.

Disturbing how many pages a ratings and reactions thread has after a win compared to after a loss.

There are only so many times u can say, comfortable performance where Gabby was amazing. Not much to discuss.

We can talk about your call in the match thread to sub Bent off about 2 mins before he scored!

:P

:lol:

Â