• Ireland
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey (for Ireland 56)
    • N'Zogbia (for Bent 74)

3 points and a clean sheet is always welcome. At the risk of being called a moaning tosser by some half brained idiot we should temper today's result by reflecting on the fact that Wigan are a very poor side and we hardly set the world alight with pass and move attacking football.

Looking at the crap clubs at the bottom of the table, it's just about a lock we don't get drawn into a relegation battle. I'm feeling better about the team in a long time, if we can grind out some decent results heading into the break, we just might want to make a winter signing to make some kind of push up the table, or at least an honest go at the FA Cup.

3 points and a clean sheet is always welcome. At the risk of being called a moaning tosser by some half brained idiot we should temper today's result by reflecting on the fact that Wigan are a very poor side and we hardly set the world alight with pass and move attacking football.

Agreed about the football apart from the middle of the game today, but we haven't beat Wigan at home today and games like this have been our biggest problem over the years???

If you're gonna claim Wigan had more shots and more possession you might as well go the whole hog and claim they won 3-0 and McLeish started emptying a shotgun into the Holte End at full time

Hutton is a terrible footballer though, I don't know what universe that wasn't a penalty in

The good:

A win, a clean sheet, Gabby/Bent partnership starting to flourish/Bannan/ 6th place/ still unbeaten/Shay Given is ace/ Dunne,Petrov and Warnock played well. Knowing that we have Jenas almost fit and ready to come in for Delph.

The bad:

Delph is pants/McLeish's subs were a bit mystifying/Ireland, did he really deserve the excellent applauses when he went off? The midfield still don't press enough from the centre/giving the ball away in stupid places.

The ugly:

Wigan are woeful/The attendance, although the atmosphere was actually quite good.

Really good performance. Gabby obviously MoTM but can't really fault any of the players today. Given pulled off some astonishing saves yet again. We tailed off a bit towards the end but managed to close the game out pretty comfortably. Not much to complain about really. Good atmosphere as well.

Also,

The Truth to end the drought. Calling it now.
:D

Gabby was **** brilliant today, love his form this season.

Nice for Bent to get a goal.

Good atmosphere despite there only being 31k there.

I thought Ireland played well, and Bannan and Warnock. Petrov was very good too.

I don't see the point in Alan Hutton though, and would really like to see Clark come in for Collins.

Roll on Citeh.

enjoyed the villa today,gabby was head & shoulders,their keeper had a blinder! still waiting for delph to make a impact in a game,dunne was solid again..i think a lot of teams will find the villa a different team to last year,credit to the manager.

Have to agree, not sure where you get the idea from that they had more shots, according to the official stats, Wigan hadn't even hit the Target until we had scored our 2nd...we'd had 6 on and 8 off by this point...I don't remember them having many more after that either...

I don't believe Sky is wrong, but I believe my own eyes more than I believe sky because, you know, I was there and that...

I thought it was a penalty ...he just barged into him, nowhere near the ball. Rash.

Di Santo had lost control of the ball and from my view (sat in my armchair) and they ran into each other. He wasn't even looking at Hutton when contact was made.

It could have been given by the letter of the law perhaps depending on the referees interpretation of "under control". But it would have been one of the softest you'll see this season.

BBC seems to suggest we have had more shots though... But only by one each on/off target. And to be fair none of their shots were that of a threat to us perhaps apart from the last few mins. Can't say we bossed them but we were definitely worth the 3 points today.

A much needed result that appears to have brought the pro McLeish brigade out of the woodwork, good for you, enjoy it while it lasts.

Good Points:

Much better tempo of football.

Actually looked to pass and move for the most part (except Collins and to some degree Warnock who played long)

Warnocks distribution and contribution today was excellent (played long, but with quality and a target)

Pressed much higher up the pitch which meant we transitioned into attack much quicker

Bannans hollywood passes came off today for the most part, he looked to feed Gabby/Bent and feed them early

Gabby was very, very good and on his game today

Bad Points:

The triangle formation worked in possession, but didnt when we were not. Wigan were guilty of what we did last season to a large degree, playing for playings sake with no tempo or end product otherwise there might have been big problems.

Wigan opened us up too often for my liking, especially for a team playing their reserve frontline

Delph gave the ball away too often from a deep lying position which is a concern

The moment Heskey came on, we sacked playing football and decided to see who could knock his head off with the ball first

Alan Hutton hitting the first man every time he crossed the ball

Switching to 4-5-1 with 15 minutes left and then sitting back whilst they opened us up. We could have had no arguments if we had conceded during this period. Piss poor tactical decision when we were controlling the game.

Credit where credit is due, the team won. Personally, I see no reason to be crowing after defeating what essentially is a toothless Wigan side on a run of three consecutive defeats, get a result against Man City and I might think that McLeish has something hidden up his sleeve, at the moment, I remain to be convinced.

Mallam, I regularly lock horns with posters on here who contribute to reasoned argument. Your disrespect to posters who dont agree to your blinkered view is disgraceful and rarely backed up with anything except an abuse mentality that I would associate with a 12 year old (Sorry 12 year olds!)

Without wishing to fall out with you mate its a tad hypocritical to insult a poster (and for the record I don't know the history) and yet you start your post with a dig at a whole load of posters to this thread.

I consider myself to be a Villa fan not a supporter or hater of McLeish. I was at Villa Park today and we played well and won. Could we have played better? Yes, Were there mistakes? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes.

But at the end of the day we won and won easily.

What i dislike is that there are a whole bunch of fans out there who seemingly want us to fail. If we lose it proves their agenda regarding McLeish or Lerner or the Club or whatever. If we win its never quite the right sort of win or never quite good enough.

Well for the record I had a very pleasant afternoon at Villa Park in some barmy autumn sunshine. Not the best game I have seen but its three points. I'm guessing as you describe your location as Rome you we not there. Luckily I had the benefit of seeing everything that happened on the pitch.

Â