• Ireland
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey (for Ireland 56)
    • N'Zogbia (for Bent 74)

Solid win. Looked in control throughout.

MOTM: Gabby by a million miles. He had an excellent game.

Honourable mention for Barry Bannan as well. I'm really starting to like the wee lad.

I'm also pleased to see a Stephen Ireland who looks interested and showing glimpses of what he's capable of.

Gabby was a beast. Bannan was excellent in the first half and faded in the 2nd. Given and Dunne were fantastic.

Delph was a real concern - most of Wigan's more promising moves today started with Delph.

Was it just me or did the "penalty" to di Santo exist solely and entirely in the commentator's mind?

Hi haters :wave:

What is it this week, Wigan are just shit thats why we won?

How about some home grown players playing some great stuff at times and creating plenty of chances.

You can only beat whats put in front of you.

Give it a rest, we won and deserved it!

Villa player well today and could have and should have scored 2-3 more. Gabby was outstanding as was Bannan who is starting to look like the player everyone said he could be.

On the downside I did not like the way we shut up shop for the last quarter of the game and there were only 31k at Villa Park.

I appreciate that economic time are tough which accounts for some of the reduced crowd but I have to say there is a significant body of 'fans' who have thrown their toys out of the cot with club and are now not attending. Sad really but to he honest if that's the level of their support we are better off without them.

Job well done today. Gabby was a beast... apparently he was carrying a back injury, so makes his performance even more pleasing.

Nice to see fabulous shots coming from Bannan & Petrov from outside the box. Thought Al Habsi was world class today, he's a super keeper

who Wigan will be lucky to keep long term.

Some of Bannan's little lay offs were sublime..he's really starting to show what he can do.

Mention for Heskey - worked his socks off when he came on and made sure we kept a clean sheet.

Good win. Wigan were disappointing and we won without ever really playing that well.

Low point again, Ireland, just don't see anything from him to suggest he can do it here. I'd like to give N'Zogbia a chance through the middle at that point.

Fabian Delph was again poor but 2nd half, he did improve (again) seemed better and had more freedom, was going forward, going past players, seems more his game rather than a conservative get the ball, pass it ...and just generally sit in the middle.

Good points.

Petrov in his best position was good. Bannan was good. Bent goal in front of the holte ..

and obviously, Gabby was excellent, the play for the second goal was top class.

Was it just me or did the "penalty" to di Santo exist solely and entirely in the commentator's mind?

Yeah, I was puzzled by this as well. I even shouted at the screen "oh, would you please shut up about it you dick". It would have been very soft to give a pen against Hutton there.

Were the Oompa-Loompas a tribute to Barry Bannan?

Speaking of which I thought Maloney looked bright for them when he came on. Nice welcome from the VP crowd too.

Think our formation was much better today - at least before Ireland got injured. Hutton still isn't doing enough for me - don't think he got a decent cross into the box once despite being put in some good positions.

Bannan was the pick of the midfield - at least until he got pushed further right when Heskey came on. Great ball for Gabby for the opening goal.

Bent still doesn't look fully fit to me - there were a couple of balls that I expected him to chase that he didn't bother with. Or maybe he just looks worse in comparison with Gabby, who was just superb today. Caldwell will be having nightmares about him tonight.

Good win.

Agbonlahor was excellent throughout, really good to see him back playing well again. Thought Hutton was much improved and seems to be finding match sharpness. Didn't like how narrow we were but we were good enough on the day. Also nice to see Bent get a goal. Given is becoming the buy of the season.

Wigan reminded me of us last season. A lot of short passes in their own half which lead to a lot of mistakes, but a complete lack of ideas when they got past the half way line and just ended up playing the long diagonal ball. They will probably go down this season if they carry on like that.

Good 3 points today, and the football is getting better. I still don't like how we sit on our lead to much but if we win I dont care. Gabby MOTM by miles. Also it's good to see no silly bookings and cutting out of the silly free kicks. Wigan were poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you. 11 points from 7 so far 6.5 out of 10 so far for McLeish as I think it's pretty par with the fixtures we've played so far.

Good Points:

Much better tempo of football.

Actually looked to pass and move for the most part (except Collins and to some degree Warnock who played long)

Warnocks distribution and contribution today was excellent (played long, but with quality and a target)

Pressed much higher up the pitch which meant we transitioned into attack much quicker

Bannans hollywood passes came off today for the most part, he looked to feed Gabby/Bent and feed them early

Gabby was very, very good and on his game today

Bad Points:

The triangle formation worked in possession, but didnt when we were not. Wigan were guilty of what we did last season to a large degree, playing for playings sake with no tempo or end product otherwise there might have been big problems.

Wigan opened us up too often for my liking, especially for a team playing their reserve frontline

Delph gave the ball away too often from a deep lying position which is a concern

The moment Heskey came on, we sacked playing football and decided to see who could knock his head off with the ball first

Alan Hutton hitting the first man every time he crossed the ball

Switching to 4-5-1 with 15 minutes left and then sitting back whilst they opened us up. We could have had no arguments if we had conceded during this period. Piss poor tactical decision when we were controlling the game.

Credit where credit is due, the team won. Personally, I see no reason to be crowing after defeating what essentially is a toothless Wigan side on a run of three consecutive defeats, get a result against Man City and I might think that McLeish has something hidden up his sleeve, at the moment, I remain to be convinced.

Routine win, very pleasing. Gabby has been sensational this season, thought Ireland, Petrov and Bannan were all really good and Given pulled off some great saves again! We got the much needed three points, if we could get a draw at Citeh I will be on cloud nine!

The positives

Bannan - never been convinced myself. but he is really starting to dominate things now - and his confidence is growing.

Gabby - looked awesome today a really senior pro's performance

these two players are still young - and on todays showing can steer us to top half of the table.

the negatives

Delph - poor passing today - maybe its time he was rested

Hutton - poor i thought - should have been a pen against us

Ireland - i will put it as a negative because he didn't do anything great. however AM seems to have got his head right - he battled away today. I would persevere - if only because there are no options - and if a run games might just get him into his man city form - then its a risk worth taking - although he did go off injured.

Overall baby steps to improvement - gabbys among the goals - and bannan is playing creative midfielder. but the easy games are over now - i will be pleased with draws in the next few games .....up the villa

Â