Is it the players or McLeish

foreveryoung

Ive been to every game bar QPR today but I watched with detail. The first half was absolutely awful football, but the second half for 10 minutes no doubt we played some quality football, then reverted back to negative defensive tactics. Is it McLeish setting us up incorrectly or is it the players not playing the formation the manager wants. You see McLeish at nearly every game going mad, asking players to get back into position and to keep the ball down on the floor to feet etc.

Is it the players are not good enough or McLeish's tactics. I think we proved today we can play proper attacking football and with Bent fit I think he would have had at least one.

I think a bit of both to be honest.

Certainly, our defence does like to hoof the ball out but that's generally because we appear so static in the middle of the park - surprising really as he lumps five players in there!

I think the players are trying to get used to the tactics and the manager is trying to get to know the team.

One thing though, AMC needs to sign a couple of wingers who'll run at a fullback and put the ball in the middle

I would say the players we have are good enough to be top 6 challengers..But the system McLeish plays isnt getting the best out of them. You could see today Bannan pegging back to clear the ball away and then shake his head at how poor the system is. Yet then when we do start playing, players like Bannan and Ireland look good. We need to start coming out to play the game, no more long ball, no more giving the ball away cheaply etc. We did see 10mins of good football today from Villa and that 10mins included good movement from N'Zogbia and Delph too..

For me it's a bit of both.

Today it appeared our tactics were get in at 0-0 at half time..It worked

2nd half appeared to be nick a goal & then defend it.. It almost worked.

For me though our players, especially N'zog, Gabby & Delph had plenty of good openings/chances but fluffed the lot through poor decision making & generally unintelligent play. This of course cannot be the gaffers fault & he showed his disbelief at some of the cock-ups from those 3. Especially when Gabby was in a scoring position but instead of simply heading the ball over their player he made the wrong choice & they cleared.. Another time he beat Paddy Kenny in a foot race then hesitated & Kenny had the chance to come out of his area, tackle Gabby & take the ball back into his area. Stupid poor thinking was rife for us today up front & it was inevitable that a similar dumb moment this time in defence, would be our undoing also.

For me AMC needs to realise our players are a touch too daft to succeed with his "no errors" tactics & that for me is his downfall at the moment. His style depends on one or 2 chances per game & no mistakes at the back... This will not happen very often with our players of that i am certain hence the lack of wins.

Bit of both, as both should take praise and criticism.

Nothing McLeish could do about the freak equaliser, but it's no coincidence we played a lot better after he presumably fired a HT rocket up them. He could drop Collins and tell Albrighton to sort his act out though.

A bit of both.

tactics are far far far too defensive and long ball and everyone knows it.

However, it isn't helped when we play it on the floor every time the ball is passed to the likes of NZogbia , he loses it.

I thought today showed something up also. It showed how much running off the ball Bent does. Bent's movement, although not getting his own goals, was creating space for others. Take Bent out and we are buggered.

So far I am less than impressed with McLeish and I think the attendance against Wigan will show I am not alone.

However, I will reserve full judgement until I see Bent upfront and a midfield of Petrov , Jenas and either Bannan or Ireland - as I think that is the preferred line up.

Â