The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we dont get rid of McLeish its going to cost the club millions..

Players like Delph, Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner will make no more progress under this system..Their value will plummet..Bent and N'Zogbia will also be worth less under this regime.

The only player likely to increase in value is Ciaran Clark(if he gets a game)..

We need a better manager that can add to our young player's game..A manager that understands movement, creativity, technical ability,passing techniques and tactical game plans. Otherwise our players will just end up like bog standard cloggers at higher Championship level at best.

Players like Delph, Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner will make no more progress under this system..Their value will plummet..Bent and N'Zogbia will also be worth less under this regime.

The only player likely to increase in value is Ciaran Clark(if he gets a game)..

We need a better manager that can add to our young player's game..A manager that understands movement, creativity, technical ability,passing techniques and tactical game plans. Otherwise our players will just end up like bog standard cloggers at higher Championship level at best.

Scott Dann and Craig Gardner are young players and they both improved under McLeish.

I think that you will find that N'Zogbia was worth considerably less than we paid for him at the time that we bought him. Buying a £3m player for £9.5m is the only thing that McLeish hasn't yet been picked up on yet..

But then Ireland was worth £8m less than the £8m Messrs. Lerner and Faulkner paid for him....something that they haven't been picked up on.

But history tells us that Villa managers do pay some very strange fees for some very poor players......

A manager that understands movement, creativity, technical ability,passing techniques and tactical game plans

would love it if we had a manger like this, McLeish has non of these qualities he is stuck in 80's mode, he thinks football is the same has when he played :(

I would ask the question can we afford not to get rid of him?

Another 4,000 on the gates would bring in an extra 1.5m plus food and merchandising, plus the money for extra places in the table, plus potentially a few more TV games if we play well, PLUS we might not get relegated.

Hughes could deliver this IMO. I would say this squad is as good, if not better, than the Blackburn and Fulham teams that he has got top half finishes with.

Of course the 4000 on the gates would work, if 4000 are staying away because of McLeish, but I would doubt that. People are short of money, simple as that.

And who is to say that Hughes didn't turn the job down, because of the austerity measures put in place to address the overspend of the previous 3 years?

Bouncing a manager who has had no time at all would be the worst thing for the club at this point in time.

A manager that understands movement, creativity, technical ability,passing techniques and tactical game plans

would love it if we had a manger like this, McLeish has non of these qualities he is stuck in 80's mode, he thinks football is the same has when he played :(

Me too, but from what I saw last season, it wasn't Houllier either.

I'm backing the new manager rather than liking the new manager. I don't know one Villa fan online or offline who wanted him, but it's nice to see most backing him, but i think its more in hope than expectation.

It's gonna be a hard long season, with the squad we have it would be remarcable if we even equal last years points total. It's going to be dour dull football as well, I think we all realised this during the Newcastle game.

I do find this argument pretty redundant, Houllier would never have managed us again, we needed rebuilding especially if Houllier went I think we would have seen Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Gabby going as well as the ones that left. So then we would have done that without a manager...wasn't gonna happen.

I think that you will find that N'Zogbia was worth considerably less than we paid for him at the time that we bought him. Buying a £3m player for £9.5m is the only thing that McLeish hasn't yet been picked up on yet..

In what sense was he a "£3m player"?

His club were asking £10m and were reluctant to sell.

£9.5m was the price we had to pay if we wanted to get him.

Based on what we have seen so far there is no chance the board will get rid of him. Simple reason for that is what we have seen is what we, and I presume Lerner and Faulkner, fully expected presuming they did their homework. Facts are we lost our two main creative players and only replaced one with an inferior player. We have employed a manger not known for playing attractive football or for his team to score many goals but a manager known to put a team on the pitch which is decent defensively.

Given the above - loss of Young and Downing and appointment of McLeish I doubt very much that Lerner and Faulkner are scratching their heads at our results/performances so far.

There is absolutely no doubt that they'll stick with McLeish even if we find ourselves deep in the mire. I also fully expect he'll be here next season bar us getting relegated. The only thing I could see changing that is if Lerner sells up which I wouldn't rule out.

that's a major rebuild required all in all ... would we rather trust that rebuild to AM or someone else would be the question to ask imo

for me the answer is NO , not just the crap football but the fact he wanted to resign Steven Davies and the "secret" other Ex villa player he enquired about means he can't be trusted to rebuild the team

That is how I feel as well. If those stories are true and I reckon they could well be, then it shows AM up as having no guile or nous in the transfer market. Nothing that is going to improve us. For instance it was obvious all summer that we needed a RB, and the best his imagination could come up with was Hutton because he'd played for him previously. It was also obvious that we needed a powerful DM, but he didn't get one. :cry:

The only thing I could see changing that is if Lerner sells up which I wouldn't rule out

That is my current wish

It would have to be the right person/group though. How realistic is it that another Arab gazillionaire is out there. Other than them I can't see anyone else doing more than what Randy has for the club and we have seen so many clubs go down the shitter because they sold out to some crooks.

In what sense was he a "£3m player"?

His club were asking £10m and were reluctant to sell.

£9.5m was the price we had to pay if we wanted to get him.

Nzogbia has never done anything in his career to suggest that he is any more than a very average £3m player

The only thing I could see changing that is if Lerner sells up which I wouldn't rule out

That is my current wish

It would have to be the right person/group though. How realistic is it that another Arab gazillionaire is out there. Other than them I can't see anyone else doing more than what Randy has for the club and we have seen so many clubs go down the shitter because they sold out to some crooks.

To be honest we would be better with someone who knows something about football, and not such an idiot to over spend and then over cut all within a 4 year period. I like Randy, I think he had the right intentions but made stupid decisions mainly intrusting MON way to much.

I know we are living in make believe land until he decides to put us up for sale. But we are a premier club, with very little debt, a ready made stadium and training ground (therefore, not like Everton in the slightest)

I would have thought we were an attractive proposition for anyone looking to buy a club.

How about this - Usmanov and David Dean are sitting on their hands thinking "if only Arsenal had gone with us"

Possible ?

"It's not going to be the Aston Villa of 1982 (when they won the European Cup) or the giddy heights of a couple of years ago (under Martin O'Neill).

6th, the giddy heights!

"It's not been the worst start. We could have done with another couple of three-pointers in games but we've got to keep believing in ourselves.

Well durrr!

Probably not. Daniel Levy has sold some of their best assets in the past though, and appointed some dodgy managers, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat and Jacques Santini. They've made the CL once.

Indeed they have.

I admire the way the tottenham sides play the football at White Hart Lane under most managers. Often a very decent quick passing game which is end to end and exciting.

Also I like the transfer policy of signing of getting the best young players and the occasional top quality player. I suppose the benefit is clubs like ourselves always seem to go for the Routledges, Huttons, Walkers and Jermain Jenas cast offs..

Â