The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Not looked like we have a formation, game plan or tactics apart from trying to strangle the life out the game.

Obviously different scale, but that approached work remarkably well for Jose Mourinho.

did it though?

i remember Mourinho losing games 1-0, making 3 subs at once, changing tactics/formation, and going on to win the game.

whereas AMC is losing a game 1-0, and carries on exactly the same (seemingly playing for a 1-0 loss).

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mourinho not scoring thing is a myth thou.

During his 3 years at Chelsea they scored more than 200 league goals, only Man U comes close to that.

Just because they were fantastic defensively didn't make them useless going forward

Hate to say it again but we've lost ONE game.

I didn't want McLeish here no one did and yes the football is predictably very poor but this type of thread is just silly

I see what your saying, but you can look at it the other way too.

We've won only ONE game.

I all comes down to if our aim as a team is to not loose or to win?

Not a sacking offense so far is it?

Our squad is threadbare , painfully limited and at best hopelessly midtable.

Basically due to our reckless summer firesale action by the board we have a painfully mediocre at best squad on the whole and a crap manager.

What else can we expect?

He was (ridiculously) given a 3 year contract - the club have made a rod for their own back.

All we can do is hope we improve . Frankly i feared a much worse start than we have had so far. We've done not that bad so far despite the predicatbly awful football.

The thing about him not being backed whilst correct for me disguises the fact that he would not have been able to bring in any decent quality creativity anyway due to him being bereft of any clue in that area

Hate to say it again but we've lost ONE game.

I didn't want McLeish here no one did and yes the football is predictably very poor but this type of thread is just silly

I see what your saying, but you can look at it the other way too.

We've won only ONE game.

I all comes down to if our aim as a team is to not loose or to win?

Not a sacking offense so far is it?

Our squad is threadbare , painfully limited and at best hopelessly midtable.

Basically due to our reckless summer firesale action by the board we have a painfully mediocre at best squad on the whole and a crap manager.

What else can we expect?

He was (ridiculously) given a 3 year contract - the club have made a rod for their own back.

All we can do is hope we improve . Frankly i feared a much worse start than we have had so far. We've done not that bad so far despite the predicatbly awful football.

No i agree not a sacking offense yet, this is exactly what we all expected when they appointed McLeish. And as you point out, the silver lining is that it could have been even worse. But it's still not ok or acceptable.

I think that McLeish should be sacked because he appears sane.

Gregory, O'Leary, O'Neill and Houllier have maintained a strong tradition of insanity at management level in the recent history of our football club.

Alex M is far too level headed, and should be removed and replaced by the nightmare team of Neil Warnock and Robbie Savage immediately.

:winkold:

I can't entirely blame Mcleish, the board need to take some flack for not investing in the squad properly.

Mcleish hasn't been helped by the boards mandate either, which seems to be 1) reduce the wage bill 2) don't get relegated.

IMO Randy needs to get his check book out in January!

Yes I hear this a lot too. For me though it is hard to have too much sympathy with him.

Are you saying he was not aware of these restrictions before taking the job? I doubt that yet he still took it.

On the Lerner front, and people not understanding why Mcleish was appointed in the first place, how about this as an answer to that. Lerner knew full well the shit coming our way this season, why not appoint a manager to take some of the flak for that so supporters would focus on Mcleish rather than Lerner ? So appojt Mcleish as a cushion.

That just sounds like Mcleish has been stitched up by the board.

If that is the case, and he's been employed just to act as a buffer between the fans and the board then that is disgraceful IMO, and I fail to see how that is HIS fault.

Not saying that that is his fault

What is his fault is the shite performances by the team

Well you can't polish a turd!

Our squad is poor IMO and our youngster simply aren't good enough to compete. Plus the money we made from the Downing and Young sales hasn't been reinvested in the team as it should have been.

Don't ghet rid of him now and it wil be anoyther 20+m spent in january trying to revive our season. I'm not sure why they have made sucha meal out of it twice, the board, and to be fair I'm not sure I'd back them to get the right man a third time.

Not saying that that is his fault

What is his fault is the shite performances by the team

Well you can't polish a turd!

Our squad is poor IMO and our youngster simply aren't good enough to compete. Plus the money we made from the Downing and Young sales hasn't been reinvested in the team as it should have been.

This, as ive said before, this is our worst midfield in the 22 years ive been going.

I would ask the question can we afford not to get rid of him?

Another 4,000 on the gates would bring in an extra 1.5m plus food and merchandising, plus the money for extra places in the table, plus potentially a few more TV games if we play well, PLUS we might not get relegated.

Hughes could deliver this IMO. I would say this squad is as good, if not better, than the Blackburn and Fulham teams that he has got top half finishes with.

The midfield is weak BUT it is McLeish's fault. He has paid good money for Hutton when we had four right capable backs (Beye, Cuellar, Lichaj and Herd) and bought in Jenas, who does not add anything over and above Delph and Bannan, when we really needed a strong DCM and an ACM option.

We still have a few fairly old players in Petrov, Heskey and Dunne who will most likely be gone next season

possibly Carlos as well as his contract runs out ?

Add Ireland finally being taken off to the funny farm and someone finally realising that Bannan and Delf are never going to be premiership players

that's a major rebuild required all in all ... would we rather trust that rebuild to AM or someone else would be the question to ask imo

for me the answer is NO , not just the crap football but the fact he wanted to resign Steven Davies and the "secret" other Ex villa player he enquired about means he can't be trusted to rebuild the team

but we wouldn't pay the compo to get Moyes so I don't see Lerner breaking the bank to get us a manager (and players) that can deliver the promised land

you cant just blame the manager because our players are playing like there not bothered bout winning or losing

But it is a key part of the manager's job to get those players motivated and make sure they are bothered!!!

It's as much the players responsibility to motivate themselves.

I remember an article posted on here last season from one of the local papers. It was a Q&A with Houllier, McLeish, McCarthy, Hodgson. One of the questions was asking about motivation and how they go about it.

IIRC 3 (if not all) of them said it's as much the players responsibility as it is theirs and too much emphasis was placed on it being the managers job to fully motivate the players. I also remember everyone being in outrage for Houllier saying this, as people hadn't read what the other managers said which was exactly the same.

In other words people want to blame McLeish for anything and everything they can because they don't want him here. Give him time and support the club. Shouting abuse, booing & generally not getting behind the team will not help in any way whatsoever so we might as well get behind him while he's here and see what happens. Because one thing we know for sure is no matter how the bad results (and they're not bad, we lost a CC game. THAT'S ALL!!) we won't sack him.

UTV! :flag:

Â