The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

So let me get this straight....new managers dont need time to get some of his own players and bulid an ethos at the club??

There really are some small minded people on here. You need to stop playing football manager. A season doesnt last 6 hours in real life you know.

Except that not all managers work out when given time and money. I think McLeish at SHA was a perfect example of that. His "ethos" is certainly not the way forward.

Why does McLeish deserve another season? He couldn't have done much worse this season, aside from being relegated (which still is still a possibility at the moment).

Your logic is totally and utterly crazy. Managers need time but in some cases it's obvious things are never going to work out.

You can't seem to understand that some managers are better than others. Why is this concept so alien to you?

Err yes i can. Houllier is clearly a better manager than Eck, but he only managed to get the same sort of performance from this squad - plus Ashley Young and Downing might i add - so does it really make a massive difference??

The squad is still shite no matter who is managing them.

Why is this concept so alien to you?

Of course Houllier is better than "eck". However, the season isn't over yet and if we will probably finish in the bottom 6. Add in the fact that performances this season have been so much worse than last season and I think it's pretty clear that McLeish will not work out. He even had a pre-season to sign players and implant his "ethos".

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't seem to understand that some managers are better than others. Why is this concept so alien to you?

Err yes i can. Houllier is clearly a better manager than Eck, but he only managed to get the same sort of performance from this squad - plus Ashley Young and Downing might i add - so does it really make a massive difference??

:crylaugh:

You've used 2 not very good managers as proof that no other manager could do ANY better with our squad.

No-one has said that our squad is much good. We've merely suggested that a different manager, like Lambert, would probably get more out of the squad than mcLeish.

Again, I refer you to MON's first season. Only one real signing (and Petrov wasn't much good in his first season) yet the team improved significantly.

I don't think that is alien to anyone, all people are saying, and rightly so IMO, is that ECK is no good, his record proves it. To add insult to injury the football is dour, and he really is negative.

You impliedd that he was good when by saying he should be given time. What do you think he would achieve given time.

would love lambert - he wouldnt need to buy anyone - maybe tinker in the transfer market

You having a laugh?? Our whole team needs an overhaul. I agree that the kids are coming along nicely but **** me, the rest of the squad is just poor. If Lambert comes here the first thing he should do is bring Pikington and Holt with him. Im sure both of those players would do great here under him

If I was appraising McLeish's performance, I would be asking him whether he thinks he's getting the best out of the current squad. Clearly, the guy isn't. He's not motivating them enough, playing them in positions that they are not ideally suited to, or, playing the type of football that they are used to, particularly the kids. Therefore, the owner should, by rights, tell the Manager that he needs to get the best out of the players before he is allowed to buy. After all, what's the point of buying a new centre forward if the one you've got is good, but not doing it for the current Manager.

The answer for me is simple and staring Randy right in the face. McLeish set the Blues up to play tough, hard to beat football, particularly at home. The Manager has failed so badly in this regard that Villa have won once in 5 months or so at home. I wouldn't give this Manager a single penny in the transfer market until he sorts the defence out and then appraises them himself. Only when he says that he cannot get anything extra out of them would I give him money. McLeish was said to be a good defender, why is the Villa defence the weakest part of the team? (arguably)

As I truly do not believe he is capable of getting any more out of the players, in fact, he is taking them backwards in their development, I would ask him to leave. Appoint Paul Lambert, as long as MON doesn't talk him out of it. Give HIM the money to spend. I would also be prepared to take a gamble on Ian Holloway, rather than another season of McLeish.

I remember in McCant's 1st press conference he was asked a question along the lines of;

"Fans think your a negative manager, what is your reply to these fans?"

He replied;

"Ill prove you wrong"

What a total cock. You have just proved us right. Do the right thing and piss off!

Si

haven't you heard, he should be given time, all managers should. What do you want a new manager every year? :-)

I mean come on, next you'll want the club to employ a decent manager, who can actually take us forward, whilst playing decent attractive football, giving us stability for years to come, and getting the fans back on the club's side.

How long do people think Terry Conor needs at Wolves in oder to ensure his ethos is embedded and he has his own players? At what point will he become successful? :D

I really do hate this missguided notion that all managers should be given time. Its as if people think that every manager will work out so long as they are given enough time and sufficient backing which is just utter nonesense.

Sometimes people are just bad managers who will never succeed no matter how long they are given or how much they are backed. Just because Fergie worked out after a bad start doesn't mean that everyone will, Fergie is an exception not a rule. He is also an exception who had a quite exceptional track record before arriving at United and getting off to a bad start.

If you have the wrong person in place or a bad manager giving them time and money won't solve that problem it will only make it worse and that is where we are at with McLeish in my view.

I remember in McCant's 1st press conference he was asked a question along the lines of;

He replied;

"Ill prove you wrong"

What a total cock. You have just proved us right. Do the right thing and piss off!

sorry mate but you are talking shit, i have a letter that he personally sent to me saying that he cant be a negative manager because he won the scottish league

:P

He replied;

"Ill prove you wrong"

sorry mate but you are talking shit, i have a letter that he personally sent to me saying that he cant be a negative manager because he won the scottish league

:P

How about the letter after he finished 3rd with Rangers? :winkold:

I really do hate this missguided notion that all managers should be given time.

Sooo say Lambert does become our manager next season and then come xmas we're in the bottom half of the table.

Get the pitchforks out?

Even we have signed Lambert and he finished 15th next year i'd be more willing to give him time then if McLeish finished 11th.

McLeish is a terrible manager, who plays terrible football. Always has been, always will be. He won't just suddenly change and get us playing good football. Though, I think Lambert has the capabilities to do that. He's a much much better tactician and sets his teams out to beat the opposition, not to stop the opposition like McLeish.

Â