The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I just can't see us going down this season, regardless of whether you think McLeish is a crap manager or not. We will finish comfortably in mid-table, which is okay for now. Whatever he did at SHA is irrelevant now, we have a better squad, we are a bigger club, and we have better players.

Some of you lot think our players are that rubbish, that they would allow that to happen? There are far, far worser teams in the league than some of you think we are. At least we have some quality in our squad.

Some of our so called supporters make me sick. Why can't people just back the manager and get behind the team?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't see us going down this season, regardless of whether you think McLeish is a crap manager or not. We will finish comfortably in mid-table, which is okay for now. Whatever he did at SHA is irrelevant now, we have a better squad, we are a bigger club, and we have better players.

Some of you lot think our players are that rubbish, that they would allow that to happen? There are far, far worser teams in the league than some of you think we are. At least we have some quality in our squad.

Some of our so called supporters make me sick. Why can't people just back the manager and get behind the team?

Well said :thumb:

You reap what you sow don't you. At the beginning of last season we sold our best player then eventually appointed a manager that was clearly past it and not suited to getting the best out of our players. The result - being in the lower echelons of the league and battling relegation for the best part of 6 months. The pre season just gone we sold our two best players, failed to replace one and replaced the other with a player of nowhere near the same quality and appointed a very average manager with a reputation for playing very cautious un entertaining football. The result so far - us grinding out a few half decent results on the back of playing backs to the wall unimaginative football.

You know what though maybe a manager of McLeish's ilk is about the best we can attract at the moment. We don't have a pot to piss in, have again just sold our two best players and are left with a group of aging for the most part average players with a sprinkling of youngsters who have either been around for a couple of years and are looking to be lower tier Prem players/Championship level or in the likes of Gary Gardner great potential but totally unproven. An established manager with a very good reputation is not going to risk that reputation by coming to us and an up and coming ambitious manager is not going to take the chance of his upward rise/growing reputation being brought to an abrupt halt with us. The fans ambitions/expectations for this great club are rightfully high but sadly the reality of our situation in terms of quality of our squad and the apparent ambition, or lack of from our owner, does not make the fans expectations realistic.

We apparently over the summer courted the likes of Ancelotti and Benetiz but due to lack of money to spend they didn't want to know. We also apparently went after Moyes and Martinez who didn't see us as a risk worth taking in terms of damaging their growing reputations and a big enough step forward.

In terms of where we are at and the owners current sell players and don't replace/replace with inferior quality policy, then a McLeish, McLaren, Allardyce, Curbishley is about as good as its going to get I'm afraid.

the idoitic thing for me was lerner and his cronies providing an unpopular choice with a three year deal. this was always a huge gamble so he should hav eonly got a 2 year deal max now the compensation will be huge if he flops

i have no faith in him to appoint a decent manger after his last two. has no clue whatsoever

We knew when we appointed him that he'd either be a decent little success or he'd be out by the New Year. It was obvious he'd have no support or patience to begin with. If the board didn't realise that as a part of their gamble, we're in trouble. Surely they had to have some sort of backup plan if it didn't all work out (due to the high probability that it wouldn't).

The players show absolutely no signs of fighting for him, if anything, performances have been dull and uninspired with little by way of fighting spirit.

Twice behind at Everton

Did we at any stage look like we wanted to go out and win that game?

We just dont look like we have the desire to go and win games, full stop.

Supporting doesnt seem to quite be what it used to be or stand for. It seems now if something doesnt fit with someones view then they will not get support and anyone that does is burying their head in the sand.

I thought the Houllier out thread was too quick to surface and how many times I read that he would take us down, but for this thread to pop up as early as this is not imo what supporting a football club is about.

I didnt want McLeish and his appointment makes little sense but the moans and groans are not just in this thread and are already at Villa Park and no matter how much the players earn it just does not help.

Football is a team game and that includes, chairman, manager, staff, players and fans. If we go down (which I believe we wont) there is not one culpable person but we all have our part to play and if we dont give our all it wont help.

Take Arsenal no the atmosphere at the Emirates horrendous and this transferring to the pitch and the players will make more mistakes.

I'm surprised the thread for who will be Villas next manager hasnt opened.

The players show absolutely no signs of fighting for him, if anything, performances have been dull and uninspired with little by way of fighting spirit.

Twice behind at Everton

Thats not what you originally said though is it? You said the players show absolutely no signs of fighting. Coming twice from behind suggests otherwise.

Twice behind at Everton

But you said about fighting.

If they didn't want to fight for him or the team, they would have rolled over and lost?

The simple fact is that if Mcleish wasn't the ex Small Heath manager a lot more people would be saying, give him time.

A lot are also biased based on his past track record, which is obviously not great.

But everyone deserves time to succeed or fail imo.

I'm surprised the thread for who will be Villas next manager hasnt opened.

That's because even if McLeish was sacked tomorrow it'd take Lerner and Faulkner until next season to tap up Peter Reid.

Indeed John. The only thing worse than having a manager like McLeish is the thought of who Dumb and Dumber would appoint next.

Twice behind at Everton

But you said about fighting.

If they didn't want to fight for him or the team, they would have rolled over and lost?

The simple fact is that if Mcleish wasn't the ex Small Heath manager a lot more people would be saying, give him time.

A lot are also biased based on his past track record, which is obviously not great.

But everyone deserves time to succeed or fail imo.

In my opinion, we were battered at Everton and if you think we put some monumental Churchillian effort into getting back into it when 2-1 down you must be watching a different game to me.

That chance came from a moment of quality from Albrighton and a good finish from Gabby against the run of play. We didnt have them pinned back, they werent there for the taking, it was fortuitous to say the least.

If you take solace in that being fighting spirit, then good luck to you, your going to need it.

In my opinion, we were battered at Everton and if you think we put some monumental Churchillian effort into getting back into it when 2-1 down you must be watching a different game to me.

That chance came from a moment of quality from Albrighton and a good finish from Gabby against the run of play. We didnt have them pinned back, they werent there for the taking, it was fortuitous to say the least.

If you take solace in that being fighting spirit, then good luck to you, your going to need it.

No one mentioned a Churchillian effort, just a fighting spirit. But they way you put it I'm surprised the players bothered to try and equalise then or even defend whilst getting said battering.

If you dont think that coming from behind twice in any game is showing a fighting spirit then I guess you will always be one to moan.

Wow, didn't take long did it. Where are all the 'i can't wait for him to prove the doubters wrong'.

The turn around at the Villa on numerous fronts has been astounding.

IMO I can't see Mcleish being sacked, Randy would need to dip into his pocket and have to admit he got to so wrong, anyone remember the crowds at Villa Park saying don't do it.

Sad days ahead.

I can't entirely blame Mcleish, the board need to take some flack for not investing in the squad properly.

Mcleish hasn't been helped by the boards mandate either, which seems to be 1) reduce the wage bill 2) don't get relegated.

IMO Randy needs to get his check book out in January!

No one mentioned a Churchillian effort, just a fighting spirit. But they way you put it I'm surprised the players bothered to try and equalise then or even defend whilst getting said battering.

If you dont think that coming from behind twice in any game is showing a fighting spirit then I guess you will always be one to moan.

Then I guess I will always be the one to moan, particularly when we lack any shape, cohesion and desire to be winning games.

To me, where are currently stuck in an abyss, not moving forward, slowly getting sucked down. No focus for the club, no plan apart from cut wage bill, it is aimless shite.

Then I guess I will always be the one to moan, particularly when we lack any shape, cohesion and desire to be winning games.

To me, where are currently stuck in an abyss, not moving forward, slowly getting sucked down. No focus for the club, no plan apart from cut wage bill, it is aimless shite.

Slowly getting sucked down to where? We're 6th. There are 14 teams that haven't started as well as us. Jesus Christ, what will your reaction be when we actually lose a game? Surely you can see that 'we are currently stuck in an abyss' is absurd?

Get some perspective, it could be alot bloody worse - my family are Sheffield Wednesday fans!

I can't entirely blame Mcleish, the board need to take some flack for not investing in the squad properly.

Mcleish hasn't been helped by the boards mandate either, which seems to be 1) reduce the wage bill 2) don't get relegated.

I understand where you are coming from but to be honest right now I would rather Randy held his hands up and admitted they got it wrong hiring AM and sent him packing along with Faulkner. Then he needs to hire someone who actually understands football business to replace PF and hire a manager with the ability and foresight to build something longterm inter grating the young players and has an eye for a bargain in the transfer market.

Slowly getting sucked down to where? We're 6th. There are 14 teams that haven't started as well as us. Jesus Christ, what will your reaction be when we actually lose a game? Surely you can see that 'we are currently stuck in an abyss' is absurd?

Get some perspective, it could be alot bloody worse - my family are Sheffield Wednesday fans!

OK John, prehaps you could give the reasons I am missing to be cheerful.

Where are we going as a club, what are the players striving for?

I understand where you are coming from but to be honest right now I would rather Randy held his hands up and admitted they got it wrong hiring AM and sent him packing along with Faulkner. Then he needs to hire someone who actually understands football business to replace PF and hire a manager with the ability and foresight to build something longterm inter grating the young players and has an eye for a bargain in the transfer market.

How do you know Mcleish won't do that for us? He's been in the job for 5 league games - how can you criticise a longterm vision after 2 months?!

Â