The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Does it really matter what happened against Arsenal in that final? One game counts for very little when it comes to judging McLeish. The run they had towards that final was a joke, and they even needed penalties against Brentford or some shit team at home. All their games were at home too, which comes down to luck and fortune more than anything else. At least it was not McLeish's magical powers.

What you’re really saying is that the good thigns McLiesh has done in his career, i.e. somehow manage to win SHA a trophy, cannot be counted in an analysis of him.

Your argument is as ridiculous as saying you cannot count SHA’s relegation against him.

Well it really does buddy, and the facts are pretty clear:

- Relegation is 38 games of showing what you are capable of. In other words, luck and unluck evens out.

- A cup stroll with home games to Brentford, MK Dons, Villa and West Ham and then Arsenal at Wembley is more or less just lucky draws. A cup is a cup, of course, but it does not say anything about McLeish as a manager. Not at all actually.

SHA winning a trophy

SHA finishing 9th

Motherwell coming 2nd and splitting the Old Firm

Matching O’Neill in Scotland

Getting SHA relegated

Poor football

Negative football

Each one is relevant in the conclusion that McLiesh over his career as a manager has been up and down. He’s by no means the worst we’ve had and certainly not in the best category. He’s pretty mediocre- a bit like the entire club in general at this moment in time.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing sixth three times in a row, can be dressed up anyway you want it; both positively and negatively depending on point of view. At present its something we seem along way away from; we will be lucky to get within 20pts of our best MON’s best season (which was our best points since 1992/3, though more games), so perhaps its something to look back upon fondly, bar the sometimes low level quality of football and the ‘nearly’ nature of it all.

Yes agree, but my concern is the next appointment won't be any better

The club needs a bit of stability

Wow, the first bit of sense you've come out with!

n?

Yeah it's a bit like waiting for Hayley's comet

Nah, that would take forever, seeing as there isn't one (so far).

Halley's comet comes around every 70-odd years, though. That might be a better analogy.

(Right. Now I am DEFINITELY Smartarse-of-the-Day)

You're missing the point anyway. I don't think finishing 6th once is the same as finishing 6th three times in a row. I've never said that, despite your claims to the contrary.

So why did you say

Getting 6th wasn't really anything new for Villa. In the Premier League era all but one of MON's predecessors either matched or beat his highest finish.

How can you come out with that statement and then try and tell me you don't consider a manager doing it once the same as MON doing it 3 times? I asked it before but you don't seem able to explain it.

IMO he will never win over the fans, he'll carry on avoiding the grief he deserves because there is a decent % that think booing him is detrimental to the team, they havent been won over, id guess not even close

2/3 good results before the end of the season wont erase the months of utter dross we have put up with

You're missing the point anyway. I don't think finishing 6th once is the same as finishing 6th three times in a row. I've never said that, despite your claims to the contrary.

So why did you say

Getting 6th wasn't really anything new for Villa. In the Premier League era all but one of MON's predecessors either matched or beat his highest finish.

How can you come out with that statement and then try and tell me you don't consider a manager doing it once the same as MON doing it 3 times? I asked it before but you don't seem able to explain it.

I used that stat to complement my point. That's all. I never said it was the same.

I think if we can grind some points out of the next 3 very difficult games, Alex will start winning over the majority of our fans

Grinding points doesn’t seem to be the issue with McLeish; its winning games and playing attractive football. Even if McLeish wins a trophy (highly unlikely) I suspect he will never win over the fans; he’s not got a personality that people warm to, and the majority of football he aims to play is functional at the best. I think in a year from now, we will be pretty much in the same place, wondering the same questions.

Most people aren't even asking for Barcelona-esque football, we just want something that's not mind-numbingly boring. Even against Fulham I found myself very bored for most of the game. Even if McLeish does start getting the results that are expected of him we'll still be really boring.

No he wont

Of course he will, maybe not some of the posters on here but they are not representative of the masses who go to the games

iyo

wake up and smell the coffee....

the masses that are not going to the games....

the masses at the Fulham game that were 90 seconds away from turning....

the masses at Wigan that did turn.....

the masses at the Man City game that booed and left early....

and yes the masses on this site.....

wake up and get to grips with your love fest that is McCleish

Can everyone just give it a bloody test with the Brendan Rodgers love in

He's just a better manager than McLeish, clearly.

Didn't Rogers completely fail at Reading? Rogers sounds like this week's Lambert because he's managed to win yesterday. Swansea, two games ago were only just above - and had McLeish been able to win games then we would have been above them.

Not at all, just to try and put a mid term blueprint in place to get the club to compete again.

A football man. Rogers has done his homework and coaches the right way. Martinez is similar and has experience of the premier league. I am sure there are continental coaches who might be able to build something. I just have no confidence in McLeish to build a footballing team with a high technical ability and a progressive playing style.

Before we dismiss the likes of Rogers and Martinez, look at who they are managing and look at what budgetary constraints they are working under.

Before you dig up where they failed to perform, what about Redknapp relegating Southampton? What about Hodgson at Liverpool? Di Matteo got sacked at West Brom and has just won back to back games with Chesea. Nobody is perfect.

Is this the Swansea that lost 4-2 at Blackburn and 3-1 at Norwich ?

Have you seen them play? Do you understand football at all? Do you know what technical ability and a fluent team shape are?

Is this the same Swansea that beat Man City 1-0?

That beat Fulham yesterday 3-0?

I can pick and choose results to suit too!

I think we should judge McLeish on next season, not necessarily this one

Give him the summer to shape things and then give him say upto Xmas

If there's no improvement then he goes in January and we start the process all over again

My car has knackered brakes but its MOT is due next January. I might just drive it around till then even though I know its doing no good whatsoever to the car, is probably damaging other aspects and is quite frankly dangerous.

Do you do that? Do you see the analogy?

No he wont

Of course he will, maybe not some of the posters on here but they are not representative of the masses who go to the games

You are Alex McLeish!

That is the same drivel he came out with in the Mail. He doesnt mind the booing as that is not representative of the "silent masses"

What a loud of bollox.

If there's no improvement then he goes in January and we start the process all over again

My car has knackered brakes but its MOT is due next January. I might just drive it around till then even though I know its doing no good whatsoever to the car, is probably damaging other aspects and is quite frankly dangerous.

Your analogy should be;

My car has knackered brakes, so I'm gonna sell two of its wheels, plus remove some of the seating. I'm now going to give it to this guy to drive for a season, I'll give him enough to buy some seats, but thats all for a year. Two months left of the season, and I'm surprised the car is moving better than it did this time last season, with its four wheels and plenty of depth to repair when needed.

Despite having two wheels and knackered brakes, it is pretty safe and moving along at a steady pace surprisingly.

You see?

McLeish has worked on a shoe string budget compared to Houllier and MON, with a much depleted squad, attempting to bring through lots of inexperienced youth all season. Saying this, don't we have a higher points total to the number of games from last season?

No

Your analogy should be;

My car has knackered brakes, so I'm gonna sell two of its wheels, plus remove some of the seating. I'm now going to give it to this guy to drive for a season, I'll give him enough to buy some seats, but thats all for a year. Two months left of the season, and I'm surprised the car is moving better than it did this time last season, with its four wheels and plenty of depth to repair when needed.

Despite having two wheels and knackered brakes, it is pretty safe and moving along at a steady pace surprisingly.

You see?

McLeish has worked on a shoe string budget compared to Houllier and MON, with a much depleted squad, attempting to bring through lots of inexperienced youth all season. Saying this, don't we have a higher points total to the number of games from last season?

See, the good thing was when I sold those bits I was allowed a big chunk of the money to spend. Instead of replacing the bits that needed replacing, I got a bit carried away and brought a spolier.

The car stilll drives shit, but hey, the spoiler looks good.

Stop conveniently only selecting the bits that make this muppet look acceptable, he never was, never is and never will be.

No

That my friend, doesnt surprise me! :D

Â