The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Come on chaps different tactics for different games. Everton, Sunderland etc do not have the capability to hurt us like Citee. Today it was right - the subs were right, just 5 minutes late as he should have changed it immediately they scored. We saw that against QPR when we chnaged it we shredded them but we couldn't do that to City whenever we played them........just look at their bench!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had tried t ohave gone for them they would have ripped us to pieces with the movement of Silva and Aguerro. I am not McEcks biggest fan but today I thought he played it right. the only good chance they had they scored from and we could have scored ourselves.

We are not good enough to play these sides at their own game. It's when we have these tactics against Swansea and QPR that pisses me off.

Are Sunderland and Everton that much better than us that they can have a go and we can't?

Strange, I didn't see either of them teams 'having a go'. Sunderlands scored off their only chance in the dying seconds, and everyone got one hell of a lucky deflection of barrys fat arse.

Just heard his interview on BRMB

"Alex, how pleased were you with the defensive perfomance overall?"

"I was delighted, really delighted. Credit to the players, they really limited them tonight and I'm gutted we didn't get a goal"

Imbecile.

"I was delighted, really delighted. Credit to the players, they really limited them tonight and I'm gutted we didn't get a goal"

Imbecile.

Well bar the goal - we did defend well.

Im not sure what your point is here?

Denis, there is no plan A, never mind a plan B. The performances are consistent each week, regardless of who we are playing. The guy cannot motivate the players despite saying that this is something he's good at. Manchester City are a functional side, nothing really flash, especially away from home. 17th in the away table apparently, yet we fail to put them under any pressure at all until the final few minutes, and even then, we had just one serious attempt on goal, ONE, in the whole game. We accept the defeat just because it's Manchester City? Not good enough.

There's a difference between setting up and hoping for a 0-0 draw. And playing a cautious, yet counter-attacking game. You need to play at least one of your creative players or someone with blistering pace. Otherwise the only way you'll score is luck, and the only reason you won't concede, defending for 90 minutes, is luck.

The tactics of defending for 90 minutes are wearing on me now big time, I'm all for giving people time as I usually give managers half a season to a season but he's clearly underperforming with these players he has. It's becoming apparent hitting it up top and sitting back won't win games, and on our home patch at least give it a go.

It's not just about this game though Denis_B.

I'll tell you why Mcleish will always fail. He is REACTIVE not PRO-ACTIVE. He will wait until a situation unfolds, example going 1-0 down,

before trying to change things. City looked a shade of the team they can be today. Mcleish should have noticed this after half hour and

adapted our team to push them back and pressure them. Instead, he waits until the inevitable happens then suddenly changes it.

Do you think Fergie would ever come out and say 'if we'd attacked they would have ripped us apart?' or any manager who is apparently worthy

of a job in this League?

Look at Swansea. They have a go and try to enforce their play on the opposition. When they loose at least their supporters know they have stuck to their beliefs and played attractive football. Mcleish seems more worried about what opposition players

may do rather than utilizing some of the talent at his disposal.

Today, he's basically admitted he only had a 'gameplan' for after we'd gone behind. Any manager with that way of thinking should not be managing a team in this League or be anywhere near one.

I don't agree with McLeish that things haven't fallen for us at all. We have been poor in a lot of games. I'd counter that weak argument with a weak statement of my own: we got lucky at Wolves because Keane scored two brilliant goals, they outplayed us first half.

It's not just about this game though Denis_B.

I'll tell you why Mcleish will always fail. He is REACTIVE not PRO-ACTIVE. He will wait until a situation unfolds, example going 1-0 down,

before trying to change things. City looked a shade of the team they can be today. Mcleish should have noticed this after half hour and

adapted our team to push them back and pressure them. Instead, he waits until the inevitable happens then suddenly changes it.

Do you think Fergie would ever come out and say 'if we'd attacked they would have ripped us apart?' or any manager who is apparently worthy

of a job in this League?

Look at Swansea. They have a go and try to enforce their play on the opposition. When they loose at least their supporters know they have stuck to their beliefs and played attractive football. Mcleish seems more worried about what opposition players

may do rather than utilizing some of the talent at his disposal.

Today, he's basically admitted he only had a 'gameplan' for after we'd gone behind. Any manager with that way of thinking should not be managing a team in this League or be anywhere near one.

Spot on. I'm getting **** sick and tired of having to wait for us to go behind before we actually do something.

If we are all honest none of us expected to win did we?

But the least you can expect is for the home team to try to venture over the half way line well before the 89th minute.

The guy is clueless...well out of his depth.

It's like he's at a fancy dress party and come along as a premiership football manager.

Imbecile.

Well bar the goal - we did defend well.

Im not sure what your point is here?

You could tell from the interview that he was delighted just not to have been thrashed. That in his opinion, a defeat to Man City was entirely acceptable and pretty much to be expected. He was gushing about them being "World Class". We conceded yet again from a set piece and I personally think the defence was scrappy and nervous and that on another day, City might well have smashed 3 or 4 past us had they not been able to coast effortlessly through the game with zero threat of us scoring against them.

Comments like that make you wonder what he's saying to the players in the dressing room. It is this negativity and lack of belief in his players ability that is reflected on the pitch.

And he was "gutted" we didn't score? Perhaps if we'd tried actually **** attacking we might have done.

That in his opinion, a defeat to Man City was entirely acceptable and pretty much to be expected.

Check the first few pages in the match thread - hes not on his own.

The rest of your post - I agree with.

It is acceptable to lose a closely contested match against superior opposition.

It is not acceptable to keep enduring what can only be described as 'non-performances' where the team doesn't even try to get over the halfway line. That display just demonstrated the chronic lack of ambition in how McLeish approaches the game.

Villa don't struggle at home because they are nervous playing in front of their supporters, it is because McLeish is clueless when it comes to setting up a team that has to take the game to the opposition. That's why our home record is as appalling as it is. I'm not suggesting that we can dominate a side like City for 90 mins but the Villa players took to the field today looking like they were beaten before a ball was even kicked. And it's far from the first time that has been the case this season.

These 'non-performances' show nothing but contempt for Villa supporters and the scoreline does not accurately reflect just how much of a disgrace they are.

That in his opinion, a defeat to Man City was entirely acceptable and pretty much to be expected.

He's not on his own because of him, not in spite of him. He has driven this negative attitude into the very foundations of the club. Thanks to Eck none of us believe anymore, even myself and I've always been considered a glass half full kind of guy.

Say what you like about O'Neill but we would enter a game like this thinking we had a chance. Even under Ged, by this time there were signs. The 3-1 defeat to United for example was around the same time of year. It was around about now we seemed to start turning the corner.

How much longer are we to wait?

He's not on his own because of him, not in spite of him. He has driven this negative attitude into the very foundations of the club.

Say what you like about O'Neill but we would enter a game like this thinking we had a chance. Even under Ged, by this time there were signs. The 3-1 defeat to United for example. Thanks to Eck none of us believe anymore.

Absolutely spot on DDID. Our expectations have been lowered to such a degree that its become ok that we accept defeat. It's not good enough. 15th place isn't good enough. It's pathetic, despite the number of players we have released, sold etc. Terrible appointment. Any football fan looking at the league table will equate the current league table to the McLeish ability factor, 15th and in yet another relegation scrap.

Â