The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Was just about to make that point 'coda.'

If we are in the bottom six by Christmas with no improvement in performances from the team then Randy will indeed have a choice to make. Does he back the manager by giving him the funds to bring more players into the club, or does he sack AM thereby admitting his mistake?

The introduction of someone like Hughes still wouldn't improve our style of football unless he was given the funds to bring in his own players. So the introduction of a new manager wouldn't necessarly improve our results unless he got the required financial backing from our chairman.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a question of money (and it probably would be after what we spent on compo for Ged, MON and McLeish from Blues) I would be prepared to sell Bent in order to get McLeish out and a decent manager in.

I like Bent a lot, and it wouldn't be the ideal scenario, but I don't see McLeish getting anywhere near the best out of Bent if he stayed, so I think it would be the preferable option. (Obviously I'd rather fund the compo by getting rid of Beye etc. but that's not quite as likely).

No matter how bad things might get he'll be here until the summer at least. I don't think it's lack of money that would prevent Lerner from getting rid more like he'd be admitting he made the wrong appointment.

This is what I think. He is here for the season now. Lerner stuck with Houllier last season when the going was tough and it paid off for him, and I think that will justify him to stick with McLeish this season.

If it was a question of money (and it probably would be after what we spent on compo for Ged, MON and McLeish from Blues) I would be prepared to sell Bent in order to get McLeish out and a decent manager in.

I like Bent a lot, and it wouldn't be the ideal scenario, but I don't see McLeish getting anywhere near the best out of Bent if he stayed, so I think it would be the preferable option. (Obviously I'd rather fund the compo by getting rid of Beye etc. but that's not quite as likely).

Cut off the nose to spite the face ?

Thing about that is you would then have Randy making a decision on another manager and the team would be weakened even more.

After 5 league games (unbeaten) and one poor performance in the Carling Cup people are talking about "getting rid" of McLeish?

Sheesh, this site amazes me at times.

The reason we are in a parlous state is because we have had the heart ripped out of our team - the exceptionally talented players bought by MON have all been sold on.

Houllier came presumably with a prospectus of success on the cheap and then cost Lerner £18m for Bent whose goals were the main reason we stayed up last season.

McLeish is probably about the only decent manager who would be prepared to manage the club on the sort of budget we now seem to be facing under Lerner. Give him a full season and I expect he will keep us in the premier league. We can't have any ambitions beyond that, I'm afraid.

To start calling for his replacement now looks a bit petulant and makes me wonder if everyone has caught up with the new reality of Villa under Lerner.

Cut off the nose to spite the face ?

Thing about that is you would then have Randy making a decision on another manager and the team would be weakened even more.

I agree that would be a danger. That's why I qualified my post by saying: 'I would be prepared to sell Bent in order to get McLeish out and a decent manager in.' If we sold Bent and made another awful appointment that would of course just make things worse.

For what it's worth, I think Bent is likely to leave in the summer anyway if we have a bad season so we might not have a choice in that part, it's more a question of when and how we use the money.

After 5 league games (unbeaten) and one poor performance in the Carling Cup people are talking about "getting rid" of McLeish?

Sheesh, this site amazes me at times.

The reason we are in a parlous state is because we have had the heart ripped out of our team - the exceptionally talented players bought by MON have all been sold on.

Houllier came presumably with a prospectus of success on the cheap and then cost Lerner £18m for Bent whose goals were the main reason we stayed up last season.

McLeish is probably about the only decent manager who would be prepared to manage the club on the sort of budget we now seem to be facing under Lerner. Give him a full season and I expect he will keep us in the premier league. We can't have any ambitions beyond that, I'm afraid.

To start calling for his replacement now looks a bit petulant and makes me wonder if everyone has caught up with the new reality of Villa under Lerner.

I'm not calling for his head but he's hardly a decent manager either.

For what it's worth, I think Bent is likely to leave in the summer anyway if we have a bad season so we might not have a choice in that part, it's more a question of when and how we use the money.

It will most likely be used to pay another one of the loans that Lerner calls in as this appears to have been the case with a fair chunk of the Young and Downing money.

As for McLeish I see little point in getting rid. Lerner has shown he is a poor judge when it comes to appointing managers and in all fairness with **** all to spend and having just lost our two best players I fail to see how anyone will take us above mid table mediocrity and a potential relegation battle if we have injuries to 3 or 4 influential players.

Not having any ambitions beyond staying in the league? If thats the case I really cant think of any reason why Lerner should not sell the club if the right offer comes in.

I think he would undoubtedly sell the club if the right offer came in. It is my belief that he has fallen out of love with the club, due to events over the past 18 months, and would gladly sell at a reasonable price.

I think this pretty much shows why McLeish shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. Unbeaten in the league and 1 loss in the cup and everyone is talking about should we sack the manager or not. Add to that McLeish has a much worse squad than the one that struggled last season, we all pretty know where this is heading.

But for me McLeish is doing ok at the moment. YES we need to improve, but the league is the be all and end all, and if we continue to pick up ok results under the restrictions he is working under (oh yes the magical backing the General was talking about), and finishes 8th-12th he has done his job.

Thats where we are now, blame McLeish all you like, but its all the fault of than man at the top.

I think we'll pick enough up results to always be hanging around safely mid table. I'd like a change of manager end of season unless by miracle, he manages to turn us into a team that finishes 6th-8th. Not a fan of getting rid of managers during the season unless we really are in the shit.

Like last year, stuck with manager and got out safely.

Not having any ambitions beyond staying in the league? If thats the case I really cant think of any reason why Lerner should not sell the club if the right offer comes in.

why would he sell ? Right now its a safe haven for his £250m investment and he's getting a cracking return on the loans he's pumped into the club. I expect he will sell Bent before he sells the club

im not here to defend AM but he has inherited a pool of players who were average at best,sold the best players..now step back for a moment & look at the big picture..he has gave super marc,ireland,delph games & they have not produced,bannan has done ok,zog been poor. AM NEEDS TO BUILD HIS SIDE

Thats where we are now, blame McLeish all you like, but its all the fault of than man at the top.

I absolutely agree with this by the way but looking at our current squad I do not believe we are one of the worst three teams, I do think we should just about survive the drop with the players we have. However, if we underperform against this expectation then surely the manager has to take some of the responsibility

I mean for me it is the same as wehn Oleary was here. Sure he was working under Ellis who took a large degree of blame for how the club was run, but Oleary was still a desperately crap manager who did not deserve to be excused merely because the owner was also rubbish

I think we'll pick enough up results to always be hanging around safely mid table. I'd like a change of manager end of season unless by miracle, he manages to turn us into a team that finishes 6th-8th. Not a fan of getting rid of managers during the season unless we really are in the shit.

I have worked out we will pick up 9 points from our next 14 games which on New Years Day will leave us with 16 points from 19 games and Im not being pesimistic. If anyone else cant predict any more then 9 points from the next 14 games I would love to know how you managed it. I have seen every game bar 1 this season and I think 9 points from the next 14 may be generous. I said I would wait until after the QPR and Wigan games but after that dross yesterday I have hit the panic button we are dreadful, I cant remember not enjoying a season so much in the last 25 years and that includes the Venglos one :(

im not here to defend AM but he has inherited a pool of players who were average at best,sold the best players..now step back for a moment & look at the big picture..he has gave super marc,ireland,delph games & they have not produced,bannan has done ok,zog been poor. AM NEEDS TO BUILD HIS SIDE

My question with this is - and I'm not saying I overtly disagree with your sentiments - does McLeish have the personal ambition to build a side that can challenge for anything rather than simply maintaining the status quo? Although he had to live with certain expectations at Rangers (some of which he met, some of which he failed to deliver), when you manage the likes of Scotland or the Blues, your primary mandate is damage limitation. With the absence of serious backing from the owner, I'm not sure McLeish has the mentality to achieve anything more. He may ultimately come to be best viewed as a custodian for team affairs until the overall situation changes, bringing enough stability that keeps us clear of the relegation mire but without the drive or quality to take the Club above upper-mid table.

In this regard, he will likely prove a more reliable bet than his predecessor - and less prone to the kind of public gaffs that made the Club a soap opera last season - but performances such as last night's or Saturday's are foreboding warnings that even this should not be taken for granted.

I have worked out we will pick up 9 points from our next 14 games which on New Years Day will leave us with 16 points from 19 games and Im not being pesimistic. If anyone else cant predict any more then 9 points from the next 14 games I would love to know how you managed it. I have seen every game bar 1 this season and I think 9 points from the next 14 may be generous. I said I would wait until after the QPR and Wigan games but after that dross yesterday I have hit the panic button we are dreadful, I cant remember not enjoying a season so much in the last 25 years and that includes the Venglos one :(

People made the same predictions under Houllier ...

I don't see huge points, probably between 13-16 in my book.

Â