Watches

Risso

I'm treating myself in the summer to a new watch when I get some of my deferred bonus payments. Thinking a Rolex Submariner (the classic) or a Rolex GMT Master II. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to spend £5k on a watch (or even £500) but for me, its something I want and it will last me a very long time. I don't spent a great amount on clothes or fancy electrical goods/gadgets, which are outdated within a year.

A good watch will last a lifetime and probably appreciate in value if you keep it long enough and look after it. A 1972 Submariner at Blowers Jewellers in Hull is for sale at £9950.. a new one costs circa £5250. Not a bad return for a 30 year old watch!

I have a Tag Monaco, got it for my 21st. Wear it everyday, and it's something that I don't intend to replace for 20+ years.

Very nice indeed. That's something you'll probably have forever.

For telling time, a mobile will, in the general case, do a better job than a watch. That basically leaves ornamentation* (a watch being one of the few universally acceptable pieces of jewelry in the Man Code) as the watch's function, and to be fair, it does it very well.

Accordingly, I don't see much of a point in ever spending less than a few thousand dollars on a watch. If there's only three figures in the price, it's not really fit for purpose for ornamentation, is it?

The Breitling Aerospace is probably my favorite watch.

*: read: "I have more money than you"

I have a Tag Monaco, got it for my 21st. Wear it everyday, and it's something that I don't intend to replace for 20+ years.

Very nice indeed. That's something you'll probably have forever.

Hopefully. I think watches can be used as a great gift for significant birthdays/occasions/anniversaries etc, because they last.

For telling time, a mobile will, in the general case, do a better job than a watch.

There have been a few comments to that effect, and I'm a bit bemused to be honest. I can think of a whole host of occasions when having to check the time on a phone would be at best inconvenient or impolite, and at worst impossible, eg in a meeting at work, when out for a meal, in a swimming pool or other water related activity, playing sport etc etc.

in a swimming pool or other water related activity, playing sport etc etc.

you'd wear your £5k Breitling, Rolex or whatever in a swimming pool :winkold:

Of course! Most of them are designed to be worn at depths that the average nuclear submarine would find hard going.

For telling time, a mobile will, in the general case, do a better job than a watch.

There have been a few comments to that effect, and I'm a bit bemused to be honest. I can think of a whole host of occasions when having to check the time on a phone would be at best inconvenient or impolite, and at worst impossible, eg in a meeting at work, when out for a meal, in a swimming pool or other water related activity, playing sport etc etc.

I'd agree with you there Mart. A watch is perhaps a more convenient method of telling the time than a mowbly in many situations.

Why therefore not just a standard £20 or £30 watch?

Unless of course, one of the main purposes of said watch is:

That basically leaves ornamentation* (a watch being one of the few universally acceptable pieces of jewelry in the Man Code) as the watch's function, and to be fair, it does it very well.

*: read: "I have more money than you"

One of the reasons I don't have or wear a watch.

I haven't worn one for years, in fact well before I had a mobile.

But it does seem from some posts on this thread that people may judge you in some ways by the watch you wear.

But it does seem from some posts on this thread that people may judge you in some ways by the watch you wear.

It just society nowadays really ... sometimes it's about the wine you drink , or the car you drive .. watches seems to be the new thing some of the younger lads I used to play football with could barely afford to eat because they had invested everything into some watch the size of big Ben on their wrist

I try avoid any parent social gathering at my childrens school because all the men want to do is talk about if their Porsche is better than their Aston or how long it took them to decide which watch to wear to tonight's get together ... each to their own I guess , personally I spend my money on holidays / travel ..... and after all I have been known to bore (or boar :winkold:) to death about my travels

Pre the birth of my daughter when basically I had a decent amount of disposable income I brought myself a TAG Carerra. Classically understated time piece which has maintained its value.

On the downside it cost me the best part of £500 for a new strap and to get it serviced last year :(

• 5 months later...

V0A39l.jpg

I been thinking about buying a new watch quite a lot recently. I really like this one, its a Mondaine Giant railway watch. Seems to be about £150. I love leather strap/white face/no number designs, and this one is beautiful. Seriously tempted.

• Like 1

For someone who often wants to know the time to obsessive levels, I'm not a fan of wearing a watch. I can appreciate a good watch but I don't really like wearing one, I've tried it and the lack of a counterbalance on the opposite wrist really gets to me after a while

Oh and I'm with Tony, I'd MUCH rather spend my money on travel and getting a new experience, than some frivolous adornment

and this

z_243.jpg

According to The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaida' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantánamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F-91W – available online for as little as £4 – suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaida in Afghanistan." United States Military intelligence officials have identified the F91W as a watch that terrorists use when constructing time bombs.

:detect:

Â