Watches

Risso

• 1 year later...

I recently got interested in Watches, hadn't had one since the 90's until I was bought one for my birthday last year, been a pretty quick rise in my level of interest since then. 

Some people love fashion, some people cars, some people watches. I'm firmly a watch fan now. Find so many different and very well made watches so interesting.

From reading this thread I see from Rissos and some others posts he's got a similar kind of enthusiasm for them I do. 

Edited by CVByrne

in a swimming pool or other water related activity, playing sport etc etc.

you'd wear your £5k Breitling, Rolex or whatever in a swimming pool :winkold:

Funny how people think that the watches shouldn't be worn in water. The whole point of the Submariner is as a divers watch. It has springs so you can take it off the wrist and put it over the wetsuit without needing a resizing of the strap. 

The reason to buy a Sub is for wearing in water. It's the watches MO

Friend of mine got bought a Breitling by his fiance/wife as a wedding present.

I'm no huge watch fan but it's absolutely amazing. And I don't think I've ever seen him so chuffed.

Turns out she'd been squirrelling money away for it for like 5 years.

And I don't think he got her anything, ha!

As per my previous post, I don't like things on my wrist (or around my neck, or pierced through something or other). However, I do like a good clock. I like the sound of a clock. Especially in a big, relatively empty room.

(I realise the above could be easily 'fixed' by VT's filthy minds)

I like the sound of a clock.

(I realise the above could be easily 'fixed' by VT's filthy minds)

Dick Cock Dick Cock Dick Cock Dick Cock

• Like 1

My opinion was I didn't see the point of watches. It seemed an unnecessary expense on something a phone has replaced.

I've always been bad at spending money. I kept a PC I built in 2002 to going with constant repairs for nearly 7 years. Then I had a Samsung Netbook clinging to life as it's replacement till 2011. 

I've always hated shopping, that I'd get 2 clothes shops done a year, once at christmas when I had to be shopping anyway for presents and then once coming into Summer. 

I never owned a car, the cost to own one never outweighed it's benefit to me as I could walk to work from the day I got my first post Uni job.

So I've been bad at spending money, food, drink & holidays aside, it's been engrained in me due to growing up in Ireland in the 80s and 90s I suppose. We'd save up for a holiday all year. 

But what's great about watches is how much they hold their value, all the other expenses in your life have minimal if any residual value, a phone or laptop or car will lose value fast.

But the right purchases with watches and you could get all of your money back if you needed it 2, 3 or 5 years down the line. Especially true with Rolexs and their almost never ending price increases.

So I suppose it's this that lets me feel like I can enjoy something very nice and expensive - that I've genuinely been surprised at how much I enjoy - without feeling that money has gone to waste with something that isn't really needed.

I do love a nice watch. Would love to purchase a tag Monaco at some point.

Also recently I've been really thinking about buying a pocket watch, I think they look pretty smart and like the idea of looking like a Victorian gentlemen when someone asks me the time.

V0A39l.jpgI been thinking about buying a new watch quite a lot recently. I really like this one, its a Mondaine Giant railway watch. Seems to be about £150. I love leather strap/white face/no number designs, and this one is beautiful. Seriously tempted.

Word of advice, if you did buy this watch - don't leave it in your jeans and run it through the wash. Apparently "waterproof" doesn't extend as far as a hot wash.

To be fair thought, Mondaine did repair it FOC, which was nice of them.

There's room for more than one watch in a collection though. 

But I agree, like that Tissot a watch like this 23113422102002-20.png

It's stunning

Indeed, quality bit of kit that.  See the words "co axial" on the watch face?  That means its movement was designed by George W Daniels, who died a couple of years on the Isle of Man.  He was a watch-making genius, and his watches fetch an absolute fortune.  There was a sale of his at Sotheby's recently, and his collection sold for nearly £9m, including one piece, the Space Traveller's watch that sold for £1.3m.  I've been around his workshop and its incredible to see all the tools he used to make his watches by hand.  When he died he also had a Bentley in his garage that sold for £5m.  The bloke I mentioned on page 1 of this thread was his apprentice. 

41MRPFN8CVL._SX385_.jpg

Love it. It's durable, it's waterproof (been scuba diving in it), it's accurate, it's got a stopwatch, an alarm and a backlight, and importantly the date, because I always forget the date. 

EDIT: just realised I posted this a few pages (and years) back...oops. 

Edited by PompeyVillan

Wow, impressive knowledge Risso. Where was his workshop? On the Isle?

It is quite stunning when you see those automatics for the first time. Most have glass backs to let you see the movement. I think that Seamaster Chronometer keeps time for 3 days after you take it off. Great if there's one you wear to work and have different ones for weekend.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

The thing with technology (and cars) is that they're replaced every 18 months.. so I can see the merit in getting an "heirloom" for your kids. 

Mine which I failed to clarify on is a Pulsar PF8363X1 Quartz Chronograph Watch950.jpg

(btw I don't care how shit/tacky/poor mans watch people deem my Pulsar to be.... it's cost me a tenner, it looks smart and it's nice to wear)

I also wear two bands (white Pedal for Petrov/red Cure Leukaemia) on my left wrist and my watch on my right wrist but even so I've never had any "counterbalance". I do happen to be left-handed though.

Â