Watches

Risso

I think you can tell a lot about a chap by the kind of timepiece he wears. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, I don't drink much, don't have a football season ticket and don't smoke. But I do like a nice watch, and when my Euromillions numbers come in, I want one of these:

series2c.jpg

Made my Roger Smith here on the Isle of Man, he's widely considered to be one of the greatest living watchmakers, and there's something like a two year waiting list for one of his hand made watches, that can cost upwards of £50,000.

So what do you go for? £9.99 Casio digital, or £25,000 Hublot?

Ive got a lime green casio digital for the summer (its not as ghastly as it sounds), a silver 'going out' watch that cost £50 and a chunky wrist strap style 'animal' watch. Not a big spender but thats more by lack of funds than anything. If i could afford to, id love to spend more on a really nice watch. That one looks rather splendid I have to say.

I've got an Emporio Armani AR-0245 watch that I have had for roughly six years now. It's still going strong and I love the look and feel of it.

armani%20AR0245-1.jpg

I wouldn't mind the Tag Heuer Link Calibre S, although it comes in at around £2,000 I believe.

tag-heuer-watch.jpg

It nearly makes me cry when I think about people spending more than £100 on a watch, why oh why!

I'm sure you waste money on shit that other people think isnt worth it too.

As for me? I havent worn a watch outside of work in almost a year. The battery ran out on my old watch (a Diesel thing which was digital) and I just never got around to replacing it, largely because I didnt actually like the watch very much after having worn it for five years or so. I just use my phone as a pocket watch at the moment. However, I might treat myself to one of these one day:

v4j92.jpg

Rotary GS90021/21, a classic gents chronograph. White face, leather strap. What's not to like? They come in at just over £200.

If money were no object, I'd get the watch that James Bond and Buzz Aldrin wore. Omega Speedmaster.

Is there any point in having a watch at all? My phone tells me the time, and I don't need a mugger alert/poser piece for any reason whatever.

I'm only hazarding a guess, but I'd have thought that if you had to name the object most often stolen by muggers, mobile phones would outstrip wrist watches by at least 100 to 1.

And I'd much rather spend money on a watch, than a few hundred quid on the latest iPhone which will probably be replaced in 18 months.

...I don't need a mugger alert...

Says the man constantly getting the phone out of his pocket to check the time :P

yes fair point. :)

Though I don't check the time very often as I have a good sense of what time it is, usually. But your point is a fair one.

Is there any point in having a watch at all? My phone tells me the time, and I don't need a mugger alert/poser piece for any reason whatever.

I'm only hazarding a guess, but I'd have thought that if you had to name the object most often stolen by muggers, mobile phones would outstrip wrist watches by at least 100 to 1.

And I'd much rather spend money on a watch, than a few hundred quid on the latest iPhone which will probably be replaced in 18 months.

Well of course they will. Dohh!!

Teenage muggers will stop smaller/weaker/more vulnerable people in the street, and demand goods from them. They will expect everyone to have a phone, and will check that for saleability. They will look at wallets, but anything other than cash might be a problem. Ipods are welcome, depending on the model.

A few years ago, muggers would ask you the time, so that you showed them your watch before they decided whether to make a move.

General mugging isn't about watches now, but people sporting Rolexes or some other sellable brands can expect to be targetted.

The numbers of moboles vs Rolexes stolen tells us little, since almost any mugging will end with a stolen mobile, and few will end with a stolen watch. But if you wear an expensive watch expect it to get stolen. Depending on where you live, and how flash you are.

Not worn a watch since I lost my late grandfather's Jaeger LeCoultre.

:shock:

Bloody hell, I would be just a little bit upset if that had happened to me. Shit.

I was. It was a friend's 21st. That was 19 years ago.

I couldn't give a shit how much it was worth - it was the last physical connection I had to my late grandfather. Hence the not wearing a watch since.

Â