Watches

Risso

34 minutes ago, V01 said:

You dare knock big/chunky watches?!

I'll have you know mine look great on my big chunky manly wrist.

I dare knock them.  Yes I do. 

Got no time for slim watch HATERZ 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

That is the very watch I am wearing right now!  I love it to bits. Had it for about 3 years now,  must get another before they stop making it. 

OK watches:

1) I utterly HATE big chunky men's watches. They look ugly,  crass and utterly classless like planting a couple of lions on your driveway or wearing a chavvy goldie looking chain.  Yet big and chunky seems to be pretty much the only option for men

2) I think paying more than £150 or so for something to tell you the time is as obscene as a football player earning £20k + per week.  I can't understand why unless you really are a multi millionaire why you would want to spend more on a bl00dy watch. Get you priorities Straight! . If I was a billionaire I would still buy a Skagen.  

3) Skagen watches are not terribly expensive but are a thing of absolute beauty. Bearing in mind my watch is not OTT expensive and is a long way away from the standard convention that men's watches should be big and chunky I am always surprised by the number of people who comment on it in a complimentary way I know some people who had never seen one before who have bought one after seeing mine. 

4) I realise people will disagree with all the above but I really don't care these are my feelings.  I am me. 

5) Glad I spotted this thread so I didn't have to post about chunky / expensive men's watches in the things that plss you off but shouldn't or Skagen watches in the things that make you happy threads

Happy Thursday folks 

1) It's a question of degrees.  Your Skagen watch is slim becase it hardly contains any moving parts and is powered by a lithium battery.  I'm not a fan of huge bulky watches myself, but the average mechanical watch will nearly always be bulkier than a quartz equivalent.  I tend to go for watches in 42mm cases or smaller, so they're not bulky in the sense that you mean I guess.

2) Do you extend this philiosophy in your life to everything else, like clothes, housing and transport for instance?  Paying more than the absolute minimum necessary for anything is just as bad, where do you draw the line? You could for instance, get a reasonable Casio for a tenner.  I love mechanical watches.  They're not cheap, but there's an incredible amount of work that goes into them and in my mind are a thing of beauty.  I like to think my priorities are straight, however.  I provide for my family, don't smoke, don't have a football season ticket, etc. Roger Smith (who I have mentioned a few times on here) a watchmaker on the Isle of Man who lives down the road from me, knocks out hand made watches for £100K+ a time.  They can take two years to make, but both as a watch and as an investment are incredible pieces of work.  If I was a billionaire I'd rather have a few of his watches than a Ferrari.

3) Each to their own I guess.  Their styling is quite nice, but it's a still essentially a cheap bit of kit knocked out in a Hong Kong sweatshop.

4) Quite right too, each to their own as I say above.

5) That's fair enough, I don't agree with what you say, but I'm always happy to see this thread bumped.

I have a couple of watches.

My first decent one (as below) was handed down to me from my dad on my 21st. 

4284104_xxl.jpg?v=1

1 of the rider tabs (the little gold bit with 15 on it) snapped off so i got an estimate from Breitling to service/replace rider tab. They came back saying it would cost £1800. Which is **** bonkers, not even sure if the watch cost that new.

The one in the image above is for sale "mint" at c.£1200

http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/breitling-chronomat-ref-81950a--id4284104.htm

Obviously there is sentimental value.

So now it just sits in my room waiting for the time i see the cost justifiable. Been there a year, can see it being there for a fair few more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

That watch new would have been a lot more expensive than £1,800.  That does seem a lot for a repair though, I'd try somewhere else.

Im aware, dont let the truth ruin a good story. ;) Ruining my drama

FYI its been like 10 months and watch repair costs were actually 1,886.40 (should have said at least £1900)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a watch I've been after for well over a year this week. What I consider the ultimate sports watch.  Royal Oak "Jumbo", 40th Anniversary Edition. 15202st

20160512_070841.jpg20160512_070841.jpg
nnjuz7.jpg2jbl301.jpgnnjuz7.jpg

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

It is the continuation of the watch that invented all stainless steel sports watches and designed in under 24 hours by the genius Gerald Genta to show as Baselworld 1972. They are hard to find as normally a 3 to 4 year waiting list to buy one new.

btw KHV, great choice on the Explorer. Too many people get the Sub.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It is the continuation of the watch that invented all stainless steel sports watches and designed in under 24 hours by the genius Gerald Genta to show as Baselworld 1972. They are hard to find as normally a 3 to 4 year waiting list to buy one new.

I'd hold out for one he put some proper bloody work in to, for that kind of money. ;) 

Absolutely stunning though. I don't have anything worth posting about in here but I tend to come and peek at other people's, that's one of the nicest looking watches I've seen. I need to find myself a knock off!

I'm still on my path to have earnt enough to buy a nice watch (my daily wear at the mo is a nice, but unfortunately quartz, Christoper Ward). But I do like to admire the stuff here more often than not.

Unfortunately though I really can't see the appeal of the Royal Oak... Seems I might be in a minority though thankfully!

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

btw KHV, great choice on the Explorer. Too many people get the Sub.

I had the submariner previously, the green submariner. I sold that for more than I bought it so I decided to go for the explorer as my new watch. The green submariner was nice as not too many people I know managed to get the green one in Birmingham.

Why can't we see your leg in that pic, @AVFC_Hitz?

I inherited an Omega from my grandad's estate last year. It was a proper state so my dad had it serviced by Omega. Unfortunately, I've yet to actually get my hands on it. For some reason my mother is worried it might get stolen from my London apartment and as such, it would be safer in their house in Birmingham. The fact that they've been burgled twice in the last four years and I've never been burgled doesn't come into it.

Anyway - I've not got photos of my watch but it's basically one of these on a metal expanding strap.

Picture%202399_zpscxmmtv3a.jpg

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

Tell your parents to wise up. It's worth £500 so why are they so worried? a beautiful watch should be worn not hidden. I really like those 60's Omegas, I had one a few years ago very similar to the one you have there.

Â