• Delph
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Gabby
    • Albrighton (for Bannan 67)
    • Ireland (for Petrov 67)
    • Delfouneso (for Bent 85)

Not seen any of the game but I will do what I normally do - read this thread and remember it wont actually be anywhere near as bad as what people are saying.

Sound likes we were an on form Bent away from 3 points.

Obviously the first phase of transition was to become difficult to beat - thats happened. It will take time to get the balance right. Be patient.

Or an off form Given away from a real pasting. :winkold:

We will get hammered when we play the top teams as we have no midfield and they will just steam roll through us

As oppose to other seasons??

Even more so than previous seasons!

Fair enough.

Didnt we lose to Newcastle & Middlesbrough under O'Neill only to and win at the Emirates and get a point against Man Utd. Funny old game football

Not seen any of the game but I will do what I normally do - read this thread and remember it wont actually be anywhere near as bad as what people are saying.

Sound likes we were an on form Bent away from 3 points.

Obviously the first phase of transition was to become difficult to beat - thats happened. It will take time to get the balance right. Be patient.

Or an off form Given away from a real pasting. :winkold:

Lets stick with the positives :D

Petrov and Delph can't play together as a 2. Delph is shit, it should have been him subbed instead of Petrov.

Petrov and Ireland in a 2 man CM. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That would just have very little defensive energy.

Delph is not looking too hot because that muppet McLeish is asking a playmaker to play as a DCM - that's just not his game!

- Dunne & Collins did okay apart from Dunney losing Best for the goal

It was still offside

Watched it on TV at Rococo and he was onside as the ball was played.

So was i and after several replays, even swedish commentators agreed it was offside. i guess well have to agree to disagree ;)

- Dunne & Collins did okay apart from Dunney losing Best for the goal

It was still offside

Watched it on TV at Rococo and he was onside as the ball was played.

So was i and after several replays, even swedish commentators agreed it was offside. i guess well have to agree to disagree ;)

Okay. Looked on to me from the replay BUT more than happy to join the aggrieved masses if it was offside. I'll have to look again on MOTD tonight.

Given has to be the best goalkeeper in the league at the moment.

McLeish has tightened the defence at the cost of any sort of width and fluidity going forward. People have short memories. Yes, it was shit but we were shit last season.

James Collins is one of the main reasons we get boxed in all the time is distribution is beyond bad. He either hoofs it or passes to an opposition player it always comes straight back. I'm so sick of seeing it every match.

Agree it's frustrating..very much predictable when he has the ball to his feet.. even when he isn't under pressure he still hoofs it.

after 90 minutes its hard not to think we were pretty shit but at 1-0 bent had a great chance and gabby fired inches wide, could have been different, no doubt on the geordie boards they'll be saying the same things about givens saves, the best of which from cabaye i think, surely a foul in the build up?

from the start bannan didnt work on the right IMO and nzobgia was shit all game (doesnt deserve to start vs QPR he was that bad) easy tactic for newcastle draw them inside then overlap and stretch the game, add to that the huge gap between the strikers and midfield and its safe to say i dont think AM got the formation or starting line up right

gabby played really well and its between him and given for MOTM, delph wasnt as bad as people are making out, warnock was good and apart from the goal his double tackle was the best thing in the game, bannan looked like the only player we have comfortable on the ball, ireland had some really nice touches, bent looked like a headless chicken as the game passed him by thanks to the way we played but at least he ran himself into the ground (should have gone off at the same time as the other subs)

overall newcastle outplayed us, but despite the barcelona comments their fans on TS were coming up with it was purely down to us having such a poor shape and letting them play, not closing down and lazily giving them the ball back rather than keeping hold of it, dare i say it we missed heskey today...

I was at work today and only listened to this on the radio (and missed the last 15 minutes) but on R5 they were pretty positive about us and suggested we'd played pretty well.

Opinions here certainly don't reflect that and I'm more inclined to believe you chaps than the beeb, but it's a surprise reading this after listening to that - strange the way views differ.

Oh and well done Gabby; good to have you back.

Absolutely rubbish performance. Newcastle deserved all 3 points and if it wasn't for Given they would have them.

McLeish is playing the same brand of dull, boring and negative football that he did at SHA and look where it got them.

To watch Villa at home it seems like they are the away team. What garbage we fans have to endure. McLeish is just a cheap MON (same boring football but he doesn't piss the money up the wall).

I have no faith in this fool to improve the team and the sooner he goes the better.

Given has to be the best goalkeeper in the league at the moment.

Agree completely!

McLeish has tightened the defence at the cost of any sort of width and fluidity going forward. People have short memories. Yes, it was shit but we were shit last season.

Disagree. See above. The difference in the defence this year is mainly that Given has been miles better than Friedel. McLeish gets some credit for buying him, though that happened only because Friedel left.

N'Zogbia shouldn't even make the bench next game. I agreed with bringing on Ireland and Albrighton, but he took the wrong 2 players off!

Just got back from the match. I don't think we were that bad, we just came up against better opponents! Newcastle really stroked the ball about well, and perhaps they should have taken all three points. Given was immense today and is already proving to be our best goalkeeper of the past 10 years. N'Zogbia was awful again and I think a spell on the bench needs to happen for him, he can;t just walk into the team. Gabby was always our main threat but once Newcastle doubled up on him he was nullified. Hutton wasnt too bad but looks a little rusty.

Just got back from the match. I don't think we were that bad, we just came up against better opponents!

Thats a damning statement, because they are a piss poor side.

Still state that our problems lie in the middle of the park. We lack any balance there, and i think we are struggling to find the right combination.

Hopefully Jenas might be the one to knit it all together.

Eck has just mentioned that Petrov has an Ankle injury, so it may be him that makes way.

When you realise we are a selling club these days and have not got the cash of the big boys, Mcleish is doing OK with an average prem squad and wea are still unbeaten, look at wolves today, that's a team that the supporters should worry about, no manager could make a top 8 side out of this squad, someone of you need a good word with yourselfe...jeeesus

I was going to take the time to construct a response, but realistically you are in denial. Look at who we played, lower mid table teams at best. If you remember, that wolves team got a 0-0 at our place.

Get your head out your arse FFS. Unbeaten crap!

What a tosser you are mate, Newcastle are 4th in the prem you idiot and are not a bad side, we have not lost yet and are 7th, WTF do you expect, we have lost our best players and have an average prem side...numpty.

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

DO you still think Newcastle will be 4th come the end of the season?

I think a draw was fair, even if they edged us in possession. Bent missed a tap in, and Gabby came within inches of a 2nd. They could have scored 3 as well, having hit the bar, and Given coming up with a beautiful save.

Still, we will get annihilated by the top teams soon enough. Just not good enough.

Absolutely rubbish performance. Newcastle deserved all 3 points and if it wasn't for Given they would have them.

McLeish is playing the same brand of dull, boring and negative football that he did at SHA and look where it got them.

To watch Villa at home it seems like they are the away team. What garbage we fans have to endure. McLeish is just a cheap MON (same boring football but he doesn't piss the money up the wall).

I have no faith in this fool to improve the team and the sooner he goes the better.

Agree 100%. Today, the whole experience was awful. Crap atmosphere, crap attendance, crap performance, crap game. One of the worst matchday experiences I've ever had.

Play them either side of Delph and that would be some midfield!!

Delph has quality, trouble is, its swamped with an aging Petrov and lightweight Bannan/Ireland next to him. He is the physical prescence, on his own, in a four man midfield. Thats never going to work.

Each to their own but I think Delph has done nothing at all for us to suggest he should start games.

Given - 9: Great saves

Hutton - 6: OK

Warnock - 6: Did one fantastic challenge after Delph lost the ball yet again.

Collins - 6: OK

Dunne - 6: OK

Petrov - 8: Class - can't believe he went off - must've been injured surely. Looked good going forward - set up bent who missed a sitter, had a coplue of screamers over, committed and flew into tackles.

Delph - 3: Rubbsih. Did nothing really for me, no decent passes, lost the ball easy, didn't tackle. I know he's a young player and he might get better - but he can learn elsewhere. All his proven to me so far is that he's not good enough. How he get's picket ahead of bannan is crazy. No where near good enough - if McLeish think he's work a place because of defensive qualities over bannan - tehn he should play herd. Delph is just good enough yet.

Bannan - 6.5: great passes trying to get involved. Stcuk out on the wing which is a nonsense he needs to dictate paly he's the most talented player we have.

N'Zogbia - 0: He did nothing everytime he had teh ball he lost it, bareley passed teh ball to a Villa player. Shocking. The worst bit about it though for me is that he just couldn't be arsed. No effort. Shocking.

Bent - 3: Poor. He'sa shit footballer but a goalscorer un fortunately he messed up his job today. Jsut stick him up top and we need players around him. Gabby and him don't work in a 442 - we missed heskey today - his work allows gabby to play left. On form if we have just one striking berth gabby deserves it at the moment.

Gabby - 7: Him and Bent don't work as a partneship in a 442. It's a shame for gabby but I'd probably have to push him out to one of the flanks or drop Bent but in a 442 they don't work. Tried hard, made a few good attacking runs. Unlucky not score early in second half - would've been a cracking goal as well.

Albrighton - 6: Did OK - stick him on the right for his crossing. NZog can't cross.

Ireland - 7: Good touches looked promising.

Delfouneso - can't really give him a rating as he didn't have enough time 9was still better than Nzog and Delph though).

Taking off Bannan and especially petrov - whilst leaving on |Delph and NZog dictated that Newcastle would be in the ascendancy, poor, poor decision (unless Petrov was injured) but whilst bannan wasn't the most effective at right wing it's cos he's not a right winger - he should be playing centrally. Bannan is currently the only first teamer with any creativity whatsoever so he must be found a place - if he's too light weight in teh middle two then we'll have to play him behind one of bent / Gabby.

Â