• Delph
    • Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Bent
    • Gabby
    • Albrighton (for Bannan 67)
    • Ireland (for Petrov 67)
    • Delfouneso (for Bent 85)

Play them either side of Delph and that would be some midfield!!

Delph has quality, trouble is, its swamped with an aging Petrov and lightweight Bannan/Ireland next to him. He is the physical prescence, on his own, in a four man midfield. Thats never going to work.

Positives:

Bannan had some good touches.

Ireland looked good.

Gabby first half.

Defense were solid, with the exception of Hutton.

We basically played with atleast 3 players missing, plenty of opportunity for improvement.

McLesih hasn't got a clue about the front 6.

Positives:

- Given

- Warnock's commitment

- Hutton starting to look sharper

- Dunne & Collins did okay apart from Dunney losing Best for the goal

- Gabby

- Ireland's cameos in the last two games have looked good. He is making an impact and deserves a start BUT in the centre of the three of 4-2-3-1.

Negatives:

- McLeish's tactics

- McLeish's lack of understanding about organising a front 6

- McLeish's subs

We have not got the CM'ers to play 4-4-2. Nor the strikers for that matter. He needs to play a 4-2-3-1 with Stan at the base, Delph as the playmaker and the three behind Bent allowed to roam anywhere.

Play them either side of Delph and that would be some midfield!!

Delph has quality, trouble is, its swamped with an aging Petrov and lightweight Bannan/Ireland next to him. He is the physical prescence, on his own, in a four man midfield. Thats never going to work.

Respectfully, but firmly disagree.

For me, Delph was mediocre at best where as Bannan, Petrov and Ireland all outperformed him.

I said in the summer we need to find a player like Tiote and that was demonstrated very well today. Can't help but think we now have Bannan, Delph, Petrov, Ireland and Jenas in CM - any two of whom would probably play well with a proper battling DM behind them, but none of whom are really suited to sitting in front of defence & winning the ball back. Petrov can do that to a degree, but doesn't really have the pace/energy which is why McLeish has preferred Delph there. But Delph doesn't really have the presence for that role, at least not yet. Herd or Clark in DM might well be best option for some games.

Zog and Bent are both struggling for form which is a big problem for the attack. Good job Gabby has remembered how to score or we'd be in trouble. Wonder if Bent carrying an injury somewhat and needs to be rested?

Zog I think just has to find an understanding with team-mates. He's a different type of player to Young & Downing, more inclined to take players on but not put the cross in straight away and that's probably harder for the strikers to read. e.g. there was a case near the end where him and Hutton were on the right and neither would put in 1st time cross - then Zog did cut behind defender and put ball into the near post, but no strikers had made a run there as I don't think they expected it when it finally came.

Not seen any of the game but I will do what I normally do - read this thread and remember it wont actually be anywhere near as bad as what people are saying.

Sound likes we were an on form Bent away from 3 points.

Obviously the first phase of transition was to become difficult to beat - thats happened. It will take time to get the balance right. Be patient.

Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away....Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away...Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, Good save Given my son...Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away..

What a clueless manager..Blues couldnt afford to sack him, so we paid them off to bring him to Villa....You couldnt make it up..

Team performance 3/10...MOTM = Given.. Problem area = the manager.

I said in the summer we need to find a player like Tiote and that was demonstrated very well today. Can't help but think we now have Bannan, Delph, Petrov, Ireland and Jenas in CM - any two of whom would probably play well with a proper battling DM behind them, but none of whom are really suited to sitting in front of defence & winning the ball back. Petrov can do that to a degree, but doesn't really have the pace/energy which is why McLeish has preferred Delph there. But Delph doesn't really have the presence for that role, at least not yet. Herd or Clark in DM might well be best option for some games.

Zog and Bent are both struggling for form which is a big problem for the attack. Good job Gabby has remembered how to score or we'd be in trouble. Wonder if Bent carrying an injury somewhat and needs to be rested?

Zog I think just has to find an understanding with team-mates. He's a different type of player to Young & Downing, more inclined to take players on but not put the cross in straight away and that's probably harder for the strikers to read. e.g. there was a case near the end where him and Hutton were on the right and neither would put in 1st time cross - then Zog did cut behind defender and put ball into the near post, but no strikers had made a run there as I don't think they expected it when it finally came.

I know for a fact you are brilliant because you said exactly what I think are the most important points.

Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away....Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away...Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, Good save Given my son...Sit back, sit back, wait, wait, give the ball away..

Spot on all our matches go like this it really is soul-destroying stuff.

Thank god Barca are on later so I can detox my brain from this absolute rubbish.

We're sitting too deep. Don't press high enough, allows teams to get on top. Then when we break, we attack but then when that attack ends, opposition seem to pick up balls in midfield far too easy because we don't box teams in and we never get any sustained pressure during the game. Any clearance we seemed to be too far off Newcastle which allowed then to take control.

Crucial moment was Bent miss for 2-0.

Think N'Zogbia needs to come out the side. Give Albrighton a chance now.

Â