An Idiot Abroad 2.

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Saw one episode. Looked completely scripted. And not in just the bits that are actually very apparently scripted. All of it.

Edit: i didn't like it in other words. Didn't find it funny, but at the same time i don't really have an opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and yes it did look scripted in places, if only because it was hard to believe that someone could be that dumb and ignorant about the broader world. That said, I think the premise of sending this bloke to places he has never heard of before was pretty genuine, in that he had no real idea what he was in for, but many of the things that happened along the way seemed contrived.

Stripping that back though, it's a classic fish out of water scenario, and quite funny in my view. I just hope the next series has far less of Gervais and that other bloke pissing themselves laughing over the phone at their own cleverness - probably the most annoying part of it.

I still don't think it's scripted. Just put him in the most awkward positions possible (for example, chinese massage with fire ....) and ask him to comment on everything possible, he'll play up to his tag at times with maybe the odd line here and there thought of but I do think 90% of that is him. He doesn't come up with line after line of funny quotes, a lot of it's him moaning. Sometimes he's funny himself by saying something funny rather than stupid. I mean even on the apprentice, you've got some apparent great business minds and you still got quotes like 'do french like their kids' Karl just brings that side of his brain out more often than others IMO, add that to grumpiness and he's just funny.

On youtube, when people make "funny bits" ...of shows, it's like 6-8 minutes long. 6-8 of geniune funny stuff ....from a weeks filming of a grumpy, funny, not so clover guy given tasks he's never done before and tasks not many would want to do I imagine, who's got a camera on him 24/7 asked to comment on everything possible ...i don't think it's that hard to believe myself.

Ha! Yeah I definitely know someone like him. He even looks abit like Karl too!

I enjoyed the first series. Looking forward to the new series, saw an advert for it yesterday, wasn't paying much attention but from what I remember he had to stay on a desert island overnight.

I agree that some bits will obviously be scripted and he'll also obviously act dumber in parts but I do think alot of it is actually Karl being Karl. Gervais used to tell stories about his dopey mate called Karl years before he ever put him on tv.

of course he will play up to his persona, most people in "celeb" world do.

I mean even actors will play similar roles in films, mainly because it's because that is what they are known for.

Karl is more than likely a fool in real life, he's just more of a fool when he has an entire series on Sky 1 HD based around his foolishness.

plus he is presumably getting paid about £500k to act like a fool for 6 episodes.

I'd poo live on tv for 6 episodes for £500k.

It's not scripted.

Karl definitely plays up to the "idiot" character. but it's not scripted.

As has been said on here before, the Karl Pilkington character, if that is what it is, has been around for over 10 years, doing radio shows with Ricky and Steve every week. It takes them months to write a script for, say, the office. There's no way they could script the stuff Karl does.

Anyway, as for the show, I thought the first series was brilliant, so i can't wait for this one!

I watched an episode of this as I'd heard people talk about

I though it was cringe worthily bad to be honest , I appreciate he is acting an idiot but in the main he just seemed to be rather insulting

I enjoyed the last series although I agree he is not likely to be as dumb as the role he plays I can think of people who would react as he does at times to the situations he finds himself in.

But he has a lot of competition now as there will be more than one idiot abroad in the next few weeks in Bruges and Braga for example... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Enjoying it much more than the last series. Think there's more evidence in the three episodes so far that he is playing the fool to a point but it's still very entertaining, if a little mindless (and the Gervais tactic of trying to make a "serious" point is more than a little heavy-handed at times).

Â