Academy Under 18s season 2011/12

fantram

The Ajax game is at Villa Park but it is not free to get in. Should be a cracker.

Villa Team. Bradley Watkins making his debut (I think) in goal. Back four Nelson-Addy, Bryan, Donacien, Williams. Midfield Barton, Michael Nelson making his first start, Ward, Graham, Up front Drennan with Melvin playing in the hole.

Darkin, Eminoglu and Daniel Williams came on as subs during the second half.

You will be able to get in but you will have to pay. You probably can't give cash to the turnstile operator but you will be able to buy a ticket from the ticket kiosk right outside the Trinity road stand.

There probably will not be a queue and I think it will cost you £4. Money well spent hopefully.

I hope the lot who lost the the noses on Saturday are out today and tomorrow running up and down the steps of the Holte End as punishment for losing to those rags down the road.

Should NEVER lose to them

We were a little unlucky to lose this game as we had enough chances in the first half to have scored six.

We made a few changes including a new centre back pairing of Liam Bateman and fit again Brad Lewis.

Juan Serrano also made an appearance as a second half sub.

Back to winning ways for the young lads after three defeats on the trot. An away win, 3-1, at Milton Keynes sets us up nicely for the FA Cup 3rd Round match at Brighton on Tuesday.

Callum Robinson (2) and Graham Burke scored the goals against the Dons.

Very disappointing ☹ I thought we might have been in for a good Cup run again this season.

As Dan Harrison on the OS said:

It was a night of missed opportunities for Tony McAndrew's fledgling side, who failed to capitalise on a series of bright openings before being stunned by a moment of brilliance from the home side. Full report

Team: Barrett; Webb, Donacien, Lewis, Bateman (Serrano de la Cruz 84); Graham, Melvin (Darkin 78 ), Ward (Drennan 67), Grealish; Burke, Robinson.

Substitutes not used: B. Watkins, Bryan.

Went to the game, mainly because Brighton opened up the corporate areas to anyone with £25. The Beef Jalfrezi I had far outshone the quality of the football. Burke was head and shoulders above everyone, Grealish kept tripping over the ball but linked up well with Burke and Robinson. Missed the second half though as the corporate hospitality got the better of me, according to Brighton fans who watched the rest of it Brighton scored a screamer from their only shot and we spurned a load of chances.

Burke did look an excellent prospect though and I met Gareth Barry who was watching his nephew play for Brighton. He said he still keeps an eye on Villa's progress, or lack of.

I do worry that we focus on results for our younger sides too much rather than trying to get through one or two from every crop into the first team. Obviously if we had eleven fantastic players that all came through then that would be great but I would rather we produced a Rooney and didn't have a great season than mopped up but didn't get a player through to the first team.

I would also love us to find a style of play with the first team that we would replicate through the ranks so people could step up easier.

How young is this current bunch compared to their peer group?

Â