Should we bid for the Euros?

TRS-T

Should we bid for Euro 2020?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bid for Euro 2020?

• No
    • Yes

With it looking like we have no hope of hosting the World Cup until 2066 (think the earliest World Cup we can bid for is 2030), does anyone think we should bid for the Euros instead?

France have got Euro 2016 so we could bid for Euro 2020.

It would be no effort for us to host at all

2 stadiums with 50,000 seats

3 stadiums with 40,000 seats

4 stadiums with 30,000 seats

So we could do

Stadiums with 50,000 seats - Wembley, Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium, St James' Park

Stadiums with 40,000 seats - Stadium of Light, Etihad Stadium, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge, Goodison Park

Stadiums with 30,000 seats - Hillsborough, Elland Road, White Hart Lane, Upton Park, Riverside Stadium, Pride Park, St Mary's Stadium, Bramall Lane, Ricoh Arena, King Power Stadium, Ewood Park, City Ground, Portman Road, St Andrew's

We could give each stadium one game each or something (there are 51 games at the tournament in total.)

And that's not taking into account new stadiums which could be built i.e. new stadiums for Liverpool and Spurs.

And then you've got teams who are looking to expand their stadiums to make them hold 30,000+ i.e. Wolves and West Brom.

Also with the tournament being expanded to 24 teams from 2016, it would make it harder for the smaller nations to host it, so I guess we would have a better chance of getting it?

The new format will mean fewer countries will have the capacity to host the tournament but it is believed the 53 member nations are unanimously in favour of the change

"It is disappointing in that it means we will not be able to stage the tournament in the future, and we recognise that will be the case," said Scottish FA chief executive Gordon Smith.

"It was a trade-off between trying to stage it or open up the qualification process and we have decided to look at something that helps everybody."

Potential bids for Euro 2020

Armenia/Azerbaijan/Georgia

Belgium

Bosnia-Herzegovina/Croatia/Serbia

Czech Republic/Slovakia

Romania/Bulgaria or Hungary

Netherlands

Turkey

Or should we just leave the Euros to be hosted by smaller nations who can't host the World Cup?

UEFA Euro 2020

English football stadiums

Euro 96 was one of the best summers ever. I only actually made it to one game (Scotland vs The Netherlands) but I still loved every moment of a football tastic summer. I'd love to have that back. :nod:

didnt ukraine just have to build more airports in the last 2 years than they had done in the previous 50?

if anything FIFA/UEFA have shown time and time again that having stadiums/infrastructure/fans etc works against you, Armenia/Azerbaijan/Georgia would be beyond ridiculous but you can just see platini driving down some motorway in armenia with a huge grin safe in the knowledge its only there because of a decision he made (despite the rest of the world knowing it'll have **** horse and carts on it a week after the tournment finishes)

we must be the only country in the world that doesnt need a tournament in order to improve our football and we're **** for it

didnt ukraine just have to build more airports in the last 2 years than they had done in the previous 50?

if anything FIFA/UEFA have shown time and time again that having stadiums/infrastructure/fans etc works against you, Armenia/Azerbaijan/Georgia would be beyond ridiculous but you can just see platini driving down some motorway in armenia with a huge grin safe in the knowledge its only there because of a decision he made (despite the rest of the world knowing it'll have **** horse and carts on it a week after the tournment finishes)

we must be the only country in the world that doesnt need a tournament in order to improve our football and we're **** for it

Sadly, you're right. It seems host countries aren't chosen by their ability to host the tournament (as evidenced by the WC 2018 and 2022 decisions) but on "expanding" the game. The 2026 World Cup will probably be held in Somalia.

To be fair, they spent most of that previous 50 years as part of the USSR with Moscow as their capital! They celebrated the 20th anniversary of their independence from the Russians just last week.

And this is the rub. The world cup 2018 and 2022 bids **** stunk because they were based on a lie. FIFA said that the bidding process would be decided on criteria like stadia, the transport network, safety and security, hotels available in host cities (etc) then when their executives got all their free shit from the junkets they had been on seeing all the candidate nations they just turned around and said that they had decided to give the tournament to parts of the world which had never hosted it before.

Now I have no problem whatsoever with the tournament going around the world to expand the game, but the organisers should say that from the get go. If the whole bidding process is just a scam so a handful of old men in badly fitting suits with far too much power can have free holidays then they should at least admit it so we don't have to bother with going through it all again. Part of me is secretly delighted Qatar got the 2022 competition because I have no intention whatsoever of attending the games in person and would much rather have a world cup in a country with a two hour time difference than somewhere like Australia, because you know, **** getting out of bed at 6am to watch football when I don't absolutely have to, but I digress. The point is that England (rightfully) have such little faith in the bidding process at the moment that we probably wont even bother attempting to get a competition because we know that even the best bid on paper means **** all when brown paper envelops, governments willing to forgo collecting tax on the revenue generated by the competition **cough cough SOUTH AFRICA cough cough** and a desire to take these competitions to places they have never been before reign supreme.

Maybe we will get the 2030 world cup though, because if FIFA want it to be in a country where people have never had a world cup before then 2030 is a good year for us as snybody who is old enough to remember 1966 will be dead by then.

Maybe we will get the 2030 world cup though, because if FIFA want it to be in a country where people have never had a world cup before then 2030 is a good year for us as snybody who is old enough to remember 1966 will be dead by then

Im sure i have read 2030 will go to Uruguay or a joint bid with Argentina

They want it because its the 100th anniversary of the world cup and as Uruguay held the first one in 1930 it would be 'nice' for them to get the 2030 competition too. Argentina are involved in a joint bid because presumably Uruguay isnt big enough a country to handle a modern world cup. They probably will get it on those grounds, I was being somewhat irreverent with my final point anyway. It would be interesting to see the Argies piggyback the bid though, as it would make them the third country to get the World Cup twice since England last hosted it.

I'd love to have a big football tournament in England. We all hate FIFA, and even if they gave us the World Cup they'd make a huge amount of money out of it, but I'd love to see the World Cup here. Alas, that doesn't look like it'll happen any time soon (possibly not even in my lifetime) so the Euros would be the next best thing.

To add to the list too, there'd be the Olympic Stadium (which will hold 60,000, iirc?) although I'm not sure how many stadiums they limit to each city. Also, would it be possible to use Twickenham? Possibly the Millennium Stadium too, but I guess that'd be in the form of a joint bid - the same applies for Ibrox and Celtic Park.

We won't get it BECAUSE we're suitable to. We could host a tournament next month if we needed to, as said plenty of stadia suitable, including our own.

However, there has to be taken into account one minor hitch. FIFA hates us.

We won't get it BECAUSE we're suitable to. We could host a tournament next month if we needed to, as said plenty of stadia suitable, including our own.

100% spot on. Along with Germany and maybe France that if a major tournament is ever moved you will always be the substitute. FIFA and UEFA want to make a legacy with these new host nations like South Africa and Poland/Ukraine

Wouldn't the Euros be UEFA's decision not FIFA's?

Anyway, the opening poster can add West Ham's Olympic Stadium and remove Upton Park from the list of grounds available.

It would be good to host a tournament, but there'd be a definite feeling of anti-climax if we hosted the euros after failing to land the world cup.

100% agree

to me it would feel almost like uefa throwing us a bone in order to keep quiet, and i can actually see them doing it, the CL final at wembley obviously made them a fortune hence why its going back there next year (despite them tarting it up as some other reason)

you'd say at a guess a tournament here would make some serious cash for the likes of FIFA / UEFA and even though its claimed sponsorship would be lower because its a well established market the olympics seemingly shows that not to be true, coca cola have piled into it

Wouldn't the Euros be UEFA's decision not FIFA's?

Anyway, the opening poster can add West Ham's Olympic Stadium and remove Upton Park from the list of grounds available.

Well, yes. But same applies to the World Cup as well.

We're suited to host one. France, South Korea/Japan (tapping the Asan Market) Germany, South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. South Africa did host the RWC to be brutally fair but Russia? And mosre absurdly, Qatar?

The last two are unsuitable. Qatar as it will be far too hot/no infrastructure (or indeed INTEREST) in football there, Russia is far too big and has poor infrastructure(?).

The likes of England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, et cetera are perfect for it, as they are all passionate football countries, with good infrastructure, top quality teams, great stadia, and so on. Yet FIFA will be going for smaller footballing nations to boost their bottomline. In the last 30 years all of those countries save one will have hosted a world cup. I can honestly see England not getting a WC until the 2066 anniversary.

I want to see the World Cup on my shores again, not played in **** 45C Qatar or Russia on artificial pitches. **** sake. /rantover

Â