GTA 5

Genie

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52671266

The Epic Games store experienced glitches on Thursday as fans rushed to download a free copy of Grand Theft Auto V.

Within minutes of making the game free online the swell of demand caused the site to slow and send error messages.

Epic blamed the slowdown on "heavy traffic" and said it was working to fix the problem.

Grand Theft Auto, known as GTA to fans, is made by Rockstar Games and is one of the top selling gaming franchises. 

Every week Epic Games makes a 'mystery game' available without charge on its store. The games are available for PCs or Macs. Users who download the week's mystery game can keep it forever, even when the free to download period expires.

On Wednesday it was announced Grand Theft Auto V would be this week's game. 

The game became available at 11:00 EDT (15:00 GMT). Within minutes of the launch users began to report slowdowns and error messages. 

On Twitter, the company tried to calm fans. 

Epic Games attributed the slowdown to high demand.

Grand Theft Auto V has earned more than any other single game ever released, according to MarketWatch. More than 100 million copies have been sold since its release in 2013. 

The slowdown and crashes appear to have lasted several hours and caused problems on other Epic platforms as well.

Fortnite, which is made by Epic, appeared to be having trouble with its launcher and the mobile game Battle Breakers was also exercising issues.

The offer to download Grand Theft Auto V runs through 21 May. In January, Epic Games said it planned to give away free games each week through 2020.

Such offers attempt to boost revenues by drawing gamers to online stores. 

It's pretty amazing that a game that's 7 years old is still that popular.

I know it's not alone, there's plenty of other games that have had that longevity. But it's still very impressive

I think it's bonkers that it originally came out on the previous generation consoles.

An incredible technical achievement and such a detailed, engrossing game. It's one that my girlfriend loves playing too, so we've been back on it lately taking it in turns.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ginko said:

I think it's bonkers that it originally came out on the previous generation consoles.

An incredible technical achievement and such a detailed, engrossing game. It's one that my girlfriend loves playing too, so we've been back on it lately taking it in turns.

One of the only games I've not minded buying twice so I could get the upgrade.

Oddly enough, I chucked my ps3 copy in the skip about a week ago. 

• 1 month later...

During lockdown I decided to start this again from the beginning for the third time. First time was kn the Xbox 360, 2nd was when I got the Xbox one at release and now this.

I have an weird issue I hope someone on here can help with.

I have 2 Xbox one controllers, a wired and a wireless. The wireless one worked perfectly until it recently broke. The wired one does something weird when driving, when I press the button to turn the car it turns ok, but the camera seems to turn at double the rate, so it  creates this weird spinning situation unless you do lots of short presses to turn which makes my eyes and brain hurt.

I can’t find a setting that is doing it.

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, Genie said:

During lockdown I decided to start this again from the beginning for the third time. First time was kn the Xbox 360, 2nd was when I got the Xbox one at release and now this.

I have an weird issue I hope someone on here can help with.

I have 2 Xbox one controllers, a wired and a wireless. The wireless one worked perfectly until it recently broke. The wired one does something weird when driving, when I press the button to turn the car it turns ok, but the camera seems to turn at double the rate, so it  creates this weird spinning situation unless you do lots of short presses to turn which makes my eyes and brain hurt.

I can’t find a setting that is doing it.

Any ideas?

I'd check the control set up. As in what buttons you have things mapped to

If I remember GTA has different control mappings for different situations. So your camera controls aren't necessarily mapped to the same buttons when you're walking around as they are when you're flying a helicopter or driving a car.

Sounds like maybe you've somehow mapped the camera controls to the left control stick as well the normal driving controls. So the left stick is doing both. 

That might not be it, just a guess.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is crazy I know but I've never played a second of this game. I've seen how popular it still is years after its release and when I overhear my mates talk about it I try and keep quiet. I think it's quite embarrassing I haven't played it from someone who loved San Andreas.

But anyway, I'm desperate for a new game to invest some time in, until Fifa comes out anyway.

So 2 questions basically, is this still worth picking up and playing now or perhaps waiting for the PS5 and playing it from new with enhanced graphics etc?

Secondly, on the PSN store it's like £11 with an expansion - is that right? Seems awfully cheap despite it being out for 7 years.

7 hours ago, MCU said:

This is crazy I know but I've never played a second of this game. I've seen how popular it still is years after its release and when I overhear my mates talk about it I try and keep quiet. I think it's quite embarrassing I haven't played it from someone who loved San Andreas.

But anyway, I'm desperate for a new game to invest some time in, until Fifa comes out anyway.

So 2 questions basically, is this still worth picking up and playing now or perhaps waiting for the PS5 and playing it from new with enhanced graphics etc?

Secondly, on the PSN store it's like £11 with an expansion - is that right? Seems awfully cheap despite it being out for 7 years.

Even excluding multiplayer altogether it's an excellent game.

For £11 it's an absolute no brainer

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Even excluding multiplayer altogether it's an excellent game.

For £11 it's an absolute no brainer

Thought as much!
Installing now. Also picked up NBA2k20 for free yesterday. About time I got back into gaming!

• Like 1

Just now, MCU said:

Thought as much!
Installing now. Also picked up NBA2k20 for free yesterday. About time I got back into gaming!

I tried NBA2k20 too.

Looks great, and I'm sure it's a good game. But I have absolutely no idea how to play basketball (as in tactics and positions and stuff like that) so I really couldn't get into it

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 02:27, Genie said:

I have no idea what to do or where to start in GTA V online. I had a try a while back and just drove around looking for things to happen then got bored and left. 

I tried getting back into online a few months back, and after investing many tens of hours I decided it was a complete waste of my time. If you have a few mates to play with regularly then it can be heaps of fun. Trying to grind on your own is tiresome and unfulfilling unless you want to pay $ to boost your online cash. Then you just have to deal with dropping out of servers, loading times and griefers. Better things to do with your time, Just my opinion.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

@mods, please ban/cancel this man. 

Bored today?! 

I thought this was gonna be about the epic car jump we did at the end of an online heist 😔

Edited by villarule123

Not sure how my boring GTSport video crept in there, but thanks :D

Edit: Oh, it's not mine! 

Lapal Splat is the most I've laughed for a long long time

Edited by Stevo985

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure how my boring GTSport video crept in there, but thanks :D

Edit: Oh, it's not mine! 

Lapal Splat is the most I've laughed for a long long time

Yea, something is not right with Ginko's videos - that's a direct link from his perspective for... something (I can't remember) - but those videos aren't too far back on this thread - only about 20 pages or so. 

Was telling rob182 on how much fun we had on those missions - I am gutted I didn't get any video on the "bin men" mission, where I just ran over Ginko for about 20 minutes straight and kept just out of his reach when the mission told us he had to be on the back of the lorry :lol:  

• Haha 1

Â