GTA 5

Genie

The Ballad of Gay Tony was good, lots of fun missions in it

I think it was the vastness of the map. It was so diverse and absolutely huge.

I also loved the totally different feel in each othe three cities.

Same. Although GTA3 is my favourite, just for being able to put on the peds with weapons and peds riot cheats and letting hilarity ensue.

Same. Although GTA3 is my favourite, just for being able to put on the peds with weapons and peds riot cheats and letting hilarity ensue.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. Even to this day I think GTA III is one of the best.

If I may be so bold as to interrupt the GTA Love-in:

I've always thought the games were crap. The missions are an arse-ache and just get in the way of your attempts to attract as much police attention as possible (which is the only thing anyone is actually interested in).

I tend to find them really good fun for the first few hours of gameplay, then they bore me to death. Despite owning several of them, Ive never actually bothered to complete any.

That said, my bat-a-whore score was something to be proud of.

I think in terms of when it was released, Vice City was probably the best in retrospect, but GTA IV is a better game.

In the same way as Twilight Princess is a better game than The Ocarina of Time...but the Ocarina of Time is much better

Yeah but Vice City had a brilliant feel to it, GTA IV is better in every way but I've played through Vice City probably 5 times, and San Andreas 3, I don't have any intentions of ever going through GTA IV again.

The pedestratian riot/weapons cheat was in VC, ruined one of my saves with it :(

I loved GTA3, I was a massive cheat though, for example, that racing mission (racing missions suck!) where you start by the bridge that you start the game on (The Callaghan Bridge?), I used to line up a load of tanks at the end of the junction and when the other cars would race off, they'd hit the tanks and explode, leaving me to drive at the pace of an elderly Japanese lady and win the race.

Another racing one, in VC was the one where you race hilary the get away driver, a friend told me to put the low gravity cheat on and so I did. Hilary put his foot down and his car went flying off into the air and into a building, all I had to do was drive slowly around.

Brilliant.

I also enjoyed Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories a lot too.

I found GTA IV to have very little replay value. Loved Vice City. Probably my favourite and then GTA 3 and then San Andreas.

Didn't get the same enjoyment out of GTA IV at all. Enjoyed it, but the other games were just so much fun. Ray Liotta made Vice City. Hope they return to making a fun game like VC or SA.

There you go, I've updated the title, although I guess the damage has pretty much already been done!

You've just reminded me that I have still to play The Ballad of Gay Tony, I downloaded Lost and Damned and it was ok but not that much fun, I hear TBOGT is a lot more fun and classic GTA. My mate has it on disc so I'll be borrowing it shortly :D

Yeh TLAD wasn't great. For me the whole bike thing ruined it. I hate the bikes on GTA games, so the fact TLAD is essentially entirely based around Bikes didn't do it for me.

I started TBOGT but my Xbox got the dreaded RROD before I could properly get into it

I've always thought the games were crap. The missions are an arse-ache and just get in the way of your attempts to attract as much police attention as possible (which is the only thing anyone is actually interested in).

Generally loved the stories but man are the missions hard.

Shitty PC controls don't help either.

• 1 month later...
If I may be so bold as to interrupt the GTA Love-in:

I tend to find them really good fun for the first few hours of gameplay, then they bore me to death. Despite owning several of them, Ive never actually bothered to complete any.

That said, my bat-a-whore score was something to be proud of.

i agree totally with this. they're novelty games that very quickly become dull as ****

Love GTA IV, one of my favourite games ever.

I thought it was by far the worst GTA although I was playing it on PC. It had lost the fun...

I thought it redeemed itself after San Andreas which i found tedious and dull. Too much bollocks to do in it like keeping fit and eating. It all just became a chore.

GTA IV was superb.

And yet GTAIV managed include the biggest damn chore in the entire franchise - forever bugging you to "hang out" with NPCs.

I definitely think the PS2 era GTA games were better than GTAIV which was a technical and cinematic tour de force but also grew **** boring with not a whole lot to do in terms of sandbox once the initial thrill of the city wore off.

I loved GTA IV. The friends mechanic was a bit shite, but other than that it was a great game. Liberty City on 360 was more fun than any of the previous cities. For me the weak link in the series is San Andreas, which remains the only GTA game I havent completed. That felt too bloated and the countryside sections were too sparse. I'd love to see GTA V go back to the vibe of the PS2 games though, Vice City was pretty much perfect in tone and length.

I loved GTA3, I was a massive cheat though, for example, that racing mission (racing missions suck!) where you start by the bridge that you start the game on (The Callaghan Bridge?), I used to line up a load of tanks at the end of the junction and when the other cars would race off, they'd hit the tanks and explode, leaving me to drive at the pace of an elderly Japanese lady and win the race.

Another racing one, in VC was the one where you race hilary the get away driver, a friend told me to put the low gravity cheat on and so I did. Hilary put his foot down and his car went flying off into the air and into a building, all I had to do was drive slowly around.

Brilliant.

I also enjoyed Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories a lot too.

Can't remember if it was Vice City or San Andreas, but my party trick when it came to races was to just get out of the car and fire off a few RPG's at the starting grid.

Then I'd just complete the race leisurely, at my own pace. There was always a weird sense of satisfaction in doing that.

Vice City was -for me- the most fun (though going back to it after being able to change the zoom on the camera whilst driving was weird). The setting, the music, the story: everything came together to create one of the best video games of all time.

San Andreas was a worthy sequel just for it's sheer scale, the variation between the three cities, the Meet the Sims style character options and lifestyle choices and being able to ride military trucks, jets, commercial planes and a whole lot more.

GTA 4 was a bit of a letdown in all honesty. The most interactive liveable, breathable city, certainly. But the missions became tedious and it became a war of attrition. At the end you were left thinking 'is that it?' As an earlier poster mentioned, once you complete it there isn't a huge inclination to continue. Unlike the previous two.

What American city has enough character to be original though? San Francisco maybe? Othe than that hard to see them stepping away from SA or VC (which I hope they do) can't see them going abroad can't see VC working current day

IMO the setting / story is as challenging as the updated game engine

What American city has enough character to be original though? San Francisco maybe? Othe than that hard to see them stepping away from SA or VC (which I hope they do) can't see them going abroad can't see VC working current day

They need to drag it away from the New York style city I think, VC stood out as the best game because of it's atmosphere, aside from a little area how much of it was a typical looking city? Essentially none. And on SA the San Francisco looking place was dull, grey and boring, I think most people spent there time elsewhere.

I'd like them to go back to VC, I don't care that it's been done before, and I don't want them to go away from the 80's either. I'm not arsed for a wash of gray, serious and dark game, that's what GTA4 was.

I agree. Much as I'd like to seen updated GTA: London, the whole cockney gangster things feels tired out thanks to The Getaway, Guy Ritchie, Danny Dyer and the like.

Las Vegas maybe (or Las Venturas as I think it was called in SA)...? Fallout: NV had a stab at the rough layout and you could probably stretch a GTA map out of the locations involved. The main difficulty with it would be that the strip would be a lifeless plastic climbing frame made out of pretty lights, unless they take the next step in evolving the series by including a decent amount of indoor environments.

Â