Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

AVFC-Prideofbrum

He's been one of our best players this season.

its the effect his presence has on the way we play though mate...

lob balls up to Heskey and more often than not he will bring it down and hold it up or get a head on it...

it aint gonna get us goals

It got us 3 against Blackburn.....

yep and he scored fair play to him

but i would suggest a bit of brilliance from gabby and misdirected shot by petrov helped a bit....

weve had 270 mins of football this season and 80% of that has been pretty turgid....

stick a bannan or an ireland in their or two up top and IMO we'll create more...

id love him to eat my words today though

lob balls up to Heskey and more often than not he will bring it down and hold it up or get a head on it...

Those 3 goals are debatable.

The first goal was easy for Gabby because he was against an OAP.

The second goal must be rarer than say Wigan winning the league. How often do you see Heskey score OUTSIDE the box?

The third goal was extremely lucky because Petrov was intended to shoot but somehow the ball bounced to Bent. He won't see service like that being common at all.

And it was Blackburn. One of the shittest defensive teams around with a head coach as manager. We were lucky to avoid their new CB partnership of Dann/Samba. We won't score many (if at all) when we face them again.

I agree that Blackburn at shit but I really think you're being ridiculous by just dismissing every goal we score as lucky or easy. Especially Gabby's. That was a class goal. Hardly "easy".

Just to play devil's advocate on Heskey, firstly, at least he is not on the wing, and secondly he does have a "presence" on the pitch. Everton are quite a physical team and while Heskey is no Carew he should help us with possession a bit.

I would like to see him phased out when Jenas is fit though, or subbed for Bannan/Albrighton in this game.

Good thing Bent is fit...

I think im ready to have a fit if we play this game with all thought on defense. This should be a good game to go all out attacking and tear Everton apart. I can feel my blood getting hot already if this game is shit boring. I guarantee this is MaCa's tactics from now on if we dont attack here. You wait to see how boring we are against Man U and co if we cant full on attack Everton!

The second goal must be rarer than say Wigan winning the league. How often do you see Heskey score OUTSIDE the box?

The third goal was extremely lucky because Petrov was intended to shoot but somehow the ball bounced to Bent. He won't see service like that being common at all.

And it was Blackburn. One of the shittest defensive teams around with a head coach as manager. We were lucky to avoid their new CB partnership of Dann/Samba. We won't score many (if at all) when we face them again.

We were dominant throughout the game, you can only play against the XI in front of you. A lot of that dominance came from Heskey winning his headers from GK's, a few long balls.

Like him or not (and im not particularly a big fan), he will work hard all game, hold up the ball well - its then the job of Gabby, CNZ, Bent to fire the goals in. He is a very good TARGET man, to get the ball in the final 3rd and hold it there.

Funny you say that, there are at least 10 more teams who have played more long balls then us.

apologies i dont think im getting my point across!...

it's not just the long balls its matching Heskeys attributes to that of his position as an in the hole striker...

he doesn't have one attribute that matches IMO....

close control? nope

good touch? nope

ability to pick a pass? nope

good footballing brain? nope

vision? nope

skill to get a yard of space? nope

he's got strength in abundance, is great in the air, gives his all but all of that is useless for the role McCleish is making him play in

its a reflection on McCleish if anything

We were dominant throughout the game, you can only play against the XI in front of you. A lot of that dominance came from Heskey winning his headers from GK's, a few long balls.

Like him or not (and im not particularly a big fan), he will work hard all game, hold up the ball well - its then the job of Gabby, CNZ, Bent to fire the goals in. He is a very good TARGET man, to get the ball in the final 3rd and hold it there.

Sorry, we must have a shit team if were starting to big up Heskey!!! :cry:

Funny you say that, there are at least 10 more teams who have played more long balls then us.

apologies i dont think im getting my point across!...

it's not just the long balls its matching Heskeys attributes to that of his position as an in the hole striker...

he doesn't have one attribute that matches IMO....

close control? nope

good touch? nope

ability to pick a pass? nope

good footballing brain? nope

vision? nope

skill to get a yard of space? nope

he's got strength in abundance, is great in the air, gives his all but all of that is useless for the role McCleish is making him play in

its a reflection on McCleish if anything

I understand you there, and I understand it's a bit cautious, but at the end of the day Heskey has been performing well and until a player comes off the bench to earn his place or Heskeys form decreases he will stay in the lineup. I've said this before but I don't mind him in away game as he's an asset when playing on the counter, but I'd certainly want Bannan in for home games. That was my main criticism of McLeish last game, that Heskey stayed on the pitch for far too long.

Sorry, we must have a shit team if were starting to big up Heskey!!! :cry:

Not really mate, just trying to be OPTIMISTIC and see some positives, rather than moan, cry, complain, stress about it all.

I wish we could see a different lineup 4 games in. The exact same one 4 games in a row? Come on AM, at least when SAF and Mick do it, they've got 9 and 7 points respectively. You've had 2 draws, surely you'd like to turn them into wins in the future?

Other than wanting Bannan in what change would you want?

The team has been performing pretty well so far and the attacker who is out of form (Nzog) is our most creative player and the last one we would want to see dropped.

Nope, I still don't buy Heskey as a midfield player. He is bad enough in his main role. I have no idea what his purpose is tbh.

You just know if we had Xavi in the team McLeish would still favour Heskey in the CM position. I mean he's actually very lucky to be working with attacking players compared to the former club, yet he still doesn't know how to get goals.

How many chances has Bent had? About 3 at most? We have creativity players on the bench and don't use them effectively.