Enda Stevens

TrentVilla

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly before preseason I thought he would end up being the forgotten man however on the America tour and against Burton and Peterborough he's really impressed me.

As we have no other natural left back other than Warnock, I think he has a good chance of starting, unless we buy someone (Which I think we may do)

What do you think?

I see Ends Steven's transfer a bit like I see Fabian Delph's and I don't think we really handled it well...we've been a bit like Chelsea with it all.

We signed Delph, a promising young player who was playing week in, week out, for his old club. He then plays a handful of times and is obviously not quite good enough to be a regular. Then he gets injured (quite a bit) and never gets a run in the team due to not being good enough or another injury.

We signed Enda Stevens, I don't know much about him, but, he was promising enough for Shamrock Rovers to be keen to hold onto him until the end of their season. He makes the bench less than a handful of times during the season, doesn't play once. Plays a bit in pre-season.

Chelsea and I suppose Man Yoo and Citeh are guilty of this as well, buy youngsters, almost so others can't have them and then sit them on the bench. Look at Sidwell as an example, he could've gone to quite a few PL teams after his season with Reading, but, Chelsea wooed him and he sat on the bench all year, because he wasn't good enough. This lack of playing has moulded him into the "player" he is today, which is far less less than the player he seemed to be becoming (although he may have only been a one season wonder anyway)

Why didn't we loan Enda back to Shamrock Rovers? Why hasn't Delph spent more time back at Leeds (although he did get injured last time he went...surprise, surprise)? Just seems a bit of a waste...

Not all transfers work out.

But the better managers/scouts get a higher % right than wrong.... and this usually manifests itself in to having a better team.

We over recent years have got more wrong than right...hence where we have been in the doldrums.

Lets hope, and I'm sure he can( PL) get more right than wrong.

PS just remember, the best individual players, don't ALWAYS make the best team.

• 2 months later...

Alas I've got a few years on Enda Jnr.

He got absolutely skinned by Saha within two minutes of coming on today. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Think he made a good challenge from a cross, though I wasn't sure it was him. Was anyone watching him closely?

Â