he is coming from the equivelant of Boldmere St Michael

more like the equivalent of signing from Walsall

:D don't be ridiculous, it's actually non-league level, it's honestly that bad

rovers would hold their own in the championship

:D are you zatman's brother or are you clinically insane as well as being irish like him?

Sorry, what?!

I'm Irish and as patriotic as the next guy, but that's just nonsense. The standard in the League of Ireland is NOWHERE NEAR the standard in the Championship. Rovers' most highly rated player appears to be Billy Dennehy, whom I've played both with and against (at a much lower level than he's currently at). No offence to the lad, he works hard, but there's no way he'd be one of the most important players at a Championship club.

As for Stevens, haven't seen too much of him but every time I have seen him he's looked extremely average. Certainly not good enough for Villa.

Then again, neither is Alan Hutton.

It was a prediction, but I guess you're right! I've watched Enda Stevens play, but never saw Mickey Boulding!!

Who was that against?

I was over in Dublin at the end of October, start of November and took in 2 Shmarock games, which where both at home, one against Galway and a Euro game against PAOK, he didn't play in the Galway game but played in the PAOK game. He was pretty poor I have to say, and to say that he's not an automatic first choice in that league, or even team, all I can say is I'd be very suprised if he managed to establish himself in a premiership side. Yes, he is young, but I just can't see anything happening. I'd love to be proved wrong mind!!

It just strikes me as the Mickey Boulding scenario, lots of discussion, lots of debate, but we never saw him play, and I'm thinking the same will happen here. But like I say, would love to be proved wrong.

The Irish young player of the year is not an automatic starter because he didn't start a game you watched?

Wut?

It was a prediction, but I guess you're right! I've watched Enda Stevens play, but never saw Mickey Boulding!!

Who was that against?

I was over in Dublin at the end of October, start of November and took in 2 Shmarock games, which where both at home, one against Galway and a Euro game against PAOK, he didn't play in the Galway game but played in the PAOK game. He was pretty poor I have to say, and to say that he's not an automatic first choice in that league, or even team, all I can say is I'd be very suprised if he managed to establish himself in a premiership side. Yes, he is young, but I just can't see anything happening. I'd love to be proved wrong mind!!

It just strikes me as the Mickey Boulding scenario, lots of discussion, lots of debate, but we never saw him play, and I'm thinking the same will happen here. But like I say, would love to be proved wrong.

Yep, I agree. You watched 2 games on a holiday. :lol:

Who was that against?

Yep, I agree. You watched 2 games on a holiday. :lol:

Okay, fair points, and I'll re-iterate that i'd love it if he makes me eat my own words in a few years time. But let's not get excited because he won the PFAI young player of the year award, which has been won by premiership quality players such as Daryl Murphy, Conor Powell, Wes Hoolahan, Eamon Zayed and Celtic winger Pat McCourt. McCourt being the only real excpetion as being a player who has done well since.... It's good we're taking a punt on a young player, and good luck to him, hopefully he'll be one for the future..... However, none of the players on that little list above and looking down the full list of winners on Wikipedia even remotely arouse my excitement, so therefore I'll stick with my guns, having seen him play in person, and on the telly, backed up by the pedigree of football we're getting him from, really doesn't excite me one bit! I'm not writing him off, but I just can't really get excited!

Now Enda, if you're reading this, ram that post down my throat!

by premiership quality players such as Daryl Murphy, Conor Powell, Wes Hoolahan, Eamon Zayed and Celtic winger Pat McCourt. McCourt being the only real excpetion as being a player who has done well since

wes hoolahan has been one of the star players for an impressive and attacking Norwich this season :s

by premiership quality players such as Daryl Murphy, Conor Powell, Wes Hoolahan, Eamon Zayed and Celtic winger Pat McCourt. McCourt being the only real excpetion as being a player who has done well since

wes hoolahan has been one of the star players for an impressive and attacking Norwich this season :s

But would he walk into the Villa side? Nope! We need to remember we're Aston Villa and not Norwich City! These players are good enough for them, but not us! We're massive!!

I think the point is being missed here! We are Aston Villa, we are currently 5th in the all time premier league standings, we need to be aiming higher. I don't know if any of you can remember the likes of Gareth Farrelly, David Hughes, Nii Lamptey (bit different this one!), David Curtolo, Fabio Ferrerasi, Mika Aaritalo amongst others, but they where all youngsters with great futures who never really amounted to anything... Gareth Farrelly was a bit part player for Everton and Bolton before ending up at Warrington Town, Nii Lamptey was a young lad who was pretty much exploited so maybe I should have left him off that list, but the rest are all players who came with the hype as the next big thing and disappeared into oblivion. I hate to say it but my gut feeling tells me that we'll see a handful of appearances from Stevens in the League Cup and then will probably get sold on to someone like Huddersfield Town.

Â