330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**** knows how bad we would have been with the downsizing in the summer. We are just as bad as last season with a much worse squad, no Young, Downing, Reo-Coker and Walker. Add that to Dunne, Warnock and Gabby would have been sold for little money it scares me to think what would have happened if Houllier had stayed.

Cabaye would've been Petrov's replacement I reckon and from what he's shown so far at Newcastle, a very good replacement. Weren't we in for Gago from Real Madrid aswell?

I wanted Houllier gone at the end of the season and it's a pointless debate as his health didn't allow him to continue but when I wanted him out, I really didn't expect we'd wind up with McDraw.

My point was that houllier staying may have seen someone as good as cabaye signed but it also would have seen gabby leave.

I'll take gabby still at this club over anyone houllier would have signed.

I doubt Cabaye signing for us depended on Gabby leaving, so this comparison doesn't really make sense.

My point was that houllier staying may have seen someone as good as cabaye signed but it also would have seen gabby leave.

I doubt Cabaye signing for us depended on Gabby leaving, so this comparison doesn't really make sense.

It does to me cos gabby said he felt like leaving under houllier, even thinking of asking for a transfer

It does to me cos gabby said he felt like leaving under houllier, even thinking of asking for a transfer

Does it mention anywhere in that article that the Cabaye transfer hinged on Gabby staying/leaving?

Does it mention anywhere in that article that the Cabaye transfer hinged on Gabby staying/leaving?

dunno not read through all the posts, just going on here on the op`s question and Gabby woulda went anyway if houllier had have still been here

so that question is irrelevant Gabby gone is owrse then losing any we have lost in last 2 years imo

To be honest, Gabs wasn't as frozen out as some much as some seem to remember, he featured 31 times, and was injured for a period. He was played often out of position yeah, but that was no surprise seeing as our front men were scoring no goals that season until Bent arrived. McLiesh plays Gabs in the same position Houllier did most of the time anyway. He could have still come good under Houllier with a preseason behind him, he wouldn't be fighting Young and Downing for a place.

With Cabaye, we would have solved some midfield problems. Top player, a major reason why Newcastle have started season so well.

I don't think Gabby would have necessarily left had Houllier stayed, nor would Cabaye have definitely joined. It's all hypothetical.

Didn't gabby say if houllier had stayed he thought he'd have ended up leaving?

Still over the moon that useless word removed houllier has gone.

I don't see us being in major relegation trouble and that's after losing our two best players.

I don't think Gabby would have necessarily left had Houllier stayed, nor would Cabaye have definitely joined. It's all hypothetical.

i think he would have http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11095_7179889,00.html

I've already seen that. As I said, we can't say for certain whether he would've gone.

Didn't gabby say if houllier had stayed he thought he'd have ended up leaving?

Still over the moon that useless word removed houllier has gone.

I don't see us being in major relegation trouble and that's after losing our two best players.

I don't understand, we're getting pretty much the same results under McLeish and yet you don't hate him. Why? I can understand you not liking either, I just don't understand it when people go on about how much they hate Houllier but seem to like McLeish when we haven't moved forward at all.

I never have understood this thread.

Houllier had a life-threatening heart condition, that meant football management was the last occupation on earth he should follow.

Eventually, even a pig-headed person like him was forced to accept he couldn't go on.

So all this stuff about "wish we had Houllier", "Cabaye would have come to Villa if Houllier had stayed" etc., is just completely meaningless crap, yes?

(Quite apart from the fact that the reality under Houllier - not the fantasy people are creating in retrospect - is that he was a rubbish manager who couldn't communicate with the players or the fans and kept us bubbling on the brink of relegation for much of his time with us.)

I never have understood this thread.

Houllier had a life-threatening heart condition, that meant football management was the last occupation on earth he should follow.

Eventually, even a pig-headed person like him was forced to accept he couldn't go on.

So all this stuff about "wish we had Houllier", "Cabaye would have come to Villa if Houllier had stayed" etc., is just completely meaningless crap, yes?

(Quite apart from the fact that the reality under Houllier - not the fantasy people are creating in retrospect - is that he was a rubbish manager who couldn't communicate with the players or the fans and kept us bubbling on the brink of relegation for much of his time with us.)

Agreed.

Houllier was not sacked he couldn't physically continue his job. End of.

Hence most in this thread is nothing but hypothetical crap.

Still appointing McWank was a terrible decision.

I think most people apart from the most stubborn would take a fit Houllier over Mcleish now the sad realisation of Mcleish's era has set in. Hate to say I told you so and all that. The Mcleish's apologists can't even use the usual clichés because they have been proven to be unfounded - sorting out the defence, lots of fight & spirit etc :lol: WALOS

At the moment we are a nothing club with no purpose. Even Birmingham City have a better manager than us who was freely available when we tapped up Mcleish. :|

Â