330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for one of our star performers to come out and have a go at Houllier instead of all the average ones.

So Gabby and Luke Young are "average", are they?

I'd love to know who you think our "stars" are!

Gabby also appears to be a drinking / party lifestyle kind of player, except he isn't, nor is Luke Young, as for this nonsense about Houllier wanting professionalism, that would make him a hypocrite, probably the least professional manager we've had in a long long time. Not once in his career has Houllier ever accepted something was his fault, he's always resorted to blaming someone else.

And as for the comments about not caring about what happened at Anfield, all I can say is the person making those comments clearly wasn't there in minus 17 degrees and really doesn't understand what went on, nor how bad we actually were. Thats shown by the fact we were supposedly booing Houllier when the truth is that we actually sang his name throughout the match and even General Krulak found something he couldn't defend but I'm glad it didn't matter to the poster as it showshow little he knows about the situation.

Is there really any point to this thread?

Houllier is no longer here so he is not going to do anything to change anybodies opinion of him.

No matter how many games McLeish loses or we play poorly, the fans who dislike Houllier are not going to change their minds about him due to how they feel he disrespected them as a fan or us as a club.

Personally, I wanted him to stay, but I can understand the people who didn't. I honestly don't think there is a right or a wrong as he did some good things in his time here, but he also did some bad.

Talk about splinters in the arse lol!!!

• 1 month later...

Looks liked we'd have Yohann Cabaye in our team if Houllier was still in charge. He looks a class act to be fair in midfield. Houllier obviously had a vision for the team, and he was prepared to look out of the UK. Wonder if Houllier was still here if Randy would have backed him during the summer? I recon he might have.

Newcastle ace Yohan Cabaye has revealed he could have joined Aston Villa before making the move to St James' Park in the summer.

Cabaye has proved to be an instant hit at Newcastle since arriving from French champions Lille, but he admits his future could have been different as Aston Villa were keen on signing him.

The French international claims he could have made the switch to Villa Park if fellow Frenchman Gerard Houllier had remained in charge, but with the former Liverpool boss stepping down over the summer the move fell through.

Cabaye, who has been instrumental in Newcastle's unbeaten start in the Premier League, also played down talk linking him with Arsenal and insists he is happy with his choice to join the Magpies.

"My name was being linked with clubs left, right and centre for two years, but there were no firm contacts," Cabaye is quoted as saying in The People.

"I had the possibility of going to Aston Villa. But it depended upon whether Gerard Houllier was going to continue in charge and as he ended up not staying I did not join them.

"A lot of people thought that I was going to sign for Arsenal this summer, but Newcastle were all I had.

"I was never in contact with anybody at Arsenal. They made some enquiries but that was as far as it went.

Impressed

"The only person I spoke to on the phone was Alan Pardew, and I really liked what he had to say.

"If it was all about money I would now be in Russia and not in Newcastle. Many people did not understand my decision but it was easy for me.

"The Premier League is the best in the world and I'm happy with my choice. "

Sky Sports

A midfield of Petrov, Makoun, Cabaye, Bannan, Herd, Delph and co would have looked good on paper.

I thought towards the end of last season we were looking more entertaining under Houllier, I recon he would have improved us this year if his heart wasn't so dodgy. Though I recon we'd now have a different defensive partnership, for better or for worse.

It is easy to forget that Houllier pulled off a great transfer in Bent during January, I seriously can't have seen McLiesh being able to do this. Houllier very hands on with transfers.

McCliesh seems like the money saving option, Randy probably knows he's probably not gonna pester for too much £ to spend.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, see know where else relevant to post this.

No preseason and one of the greatest injury crisis' in recent times marred his short stay imo.

"I had the possibility of going to Aston Villa. But it depended upon whether Gerard Houllier was going to continue in charge and as he ended up not staying I did not join them."

'Pinch of salt' and all that, I know but... reading that makes me feel violently sick. :(

at least houllier had a vague idea what he wanted to even if he **** up putting into practice and tried to overhaul too much too soon. There was an ethos, however much he may have been derided. Style of football, training ground culture etc.

McLeish hasn't much a clue beyond cowering in the corner going " please don't lose, i don't want to get relegated AGAIN"

however Alex Mac does have better PR, he is certainly more honest and more personable - indeed I'd love to see him succeed - and prove everyone wrong, but so far I can't see anything. No plan, no progamme, nothing but short termist survivalist desperation. And improvement defensively, after 4 months, we've had a couple more clean sheets - against utterly toothless sides like Wigan, but set pieces... etc, yeah, so much better than Houllier. At least under GH we bothered to attack and try and play football - even if it rarely came off, there was an aspiration to something better. Where is that with AM? What is his end goal? When will we see the fruits of his labours? I know it's too soon to come to definitive judgements, so this is all caveated with the idea of "so far", but "so far, so urgh."

One of the few positives of McLeish is that at least he is not Houllier.

One thing I liked about Houllier was that he wasn't MON. Another positive was that he wasn't McLeish.

:crylaugh: Each to their own I guess my friend. We all have different standards. Personally give me top 6 finishes and cup finals over sitting in or with in spitting distance of the bottom three for the majority of the season serving up gutless tripe any day of the week. Oh and if you also find lording it in front of opposing fans preferable whilst completely ignoring the fantastic fans of the great club you manage then yes I guess you would favour Houllier. Again like I said we all have differing standards of what is acceptable.

Oh do change the record. We get the picture Jon, although I dont agree with your stance on Houllier, I am under no illusions what it is.

I am no GH fan. He had me fuming on more than one occasion last season. However, I think he would of cleaned up shop in the summer eg heskey and Ireland, and maybe brought in some good players as we all knew he could attract good ones tbf. However on the flip side the man killed Gabby last season and warnock (who's been decent so far IMO) plus he didn't seem to interested at times. Eck shows some interest but the rest is piss poor. I don't feel as angry (yet) as I did last season with GH but you know what.... Maybe it's because I don't care as much as i used to any more. Villa till I die but lately it seems more stressful then my job.

One last note..... Still dunno why we didn't get Sparky!

I went for Houllier even though I dont think he was the right manager, Alex McLeish is not up to being our manager, he's just not good enough and I agree Houllier's performance last season wasnt great by a long way but McLeish for me is way out of his depth in so many areas of his ability and even though he can say the right things somewhat there is nothing behind it. I have no interest in him, I will support the club and the team but I hope his time is short with the club so we can move on and up.

Cabaye looks decent but i'll take gabby over him any day.

Although I don't think Mcleish is great I'm still enjoying this season more than last and i'll still happily take Mcleish over houllier.

Why are you comparing a central midfielder with a winger/forward?

Â