Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

He wanted to carry on, he had a contract. If I was off work ill..then came back wanting to carry on and the company said no I'd expect a pay-out too, otherwise I would sue their arse.

Only a few days ago houllier said he is about 85% recovered and will never manage in football again.

So you expect me to believe that 4 months ago he was coming back from illness fit and ready to go? The honourable, respectful houllier knew exactly what he was doing to make sure he got as much money as possible.

Hence the Gary Mac pronouncements towards the end of the season.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, would I prefer a shit sandwich or a turd baguette.

I think Houllier's appointment was thinking along the right lines - a manager who's won major trophies, lots of contacts across Europe, managed big clubs in both the PL and on the continent etc. It was just unfortunate that he was the wrong man.

I can't, for the life of me, understand the thinking behind McLeish. A shit manager, who plays shit football, and is known for finishing third in a two horse race and being relegated twice. But at least the players are 'happy' and they have adult conversations. He still hasn't worked out a system, though, we're getting over-ran in midfield and look completely shite up front.

Going back to the question of GH v AM...well, it's probably unfair to compare at the moment, but they currently seem as bad as each other; just in different ways!

Luke Young's turn to add his two pennyworth

Working with Warnock such a thrill after my Houllier hell

Julian Bennetts

23 Sep 2011

Luke Young admits life under Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa was hell last season as he prepares to face his former club on Sunday.

The England international left Villa Park for Queens Park Rangers at the end of the transfer window after an horrendous season which saw the Midlanders fighting relegation.

In their previous three seasons under Martin O'Neill, Villa had challenged for the Champions League places before eventually finishing sixth each time.

But O'Neill left five days before the start of last season and was replaced by former Liverpool boss Houllier, who had been out of management since leaving Lyon three years previously.

Young claims the Frenchman alienated players with his authoritarian approach as Villa dropped into the bottom three in early January.

Villa eventually finished ninth after a late rally, but they did so without Houllier, who suffered heart problems in April and was replaced by Alex McLeish in the summer.

"It was one of the most unenjoyable seasons I've had in football," said the 32-year-old, who will line up against his former team at Loftus Road.

"Two years before that we were right up there in fourth or fifth come March time and were trying to push on and finish in the Champions League, which seems quite ridiculous now with what happened last season.

"Was Houllier like a school teacher? Yes, it was a little bit like that.

"You always felt you were getting judged on what extra work you were doing and weren't doing.

"It was: 'Are you in the gym doing your extra work, or are you not?'

"A few things went on that weren't great. It was a long, hard season and in the end we were really relieved to finish ninth. It seemed a little bit of a false position because it wasn't a great season for us."

Young is thrilled at the prospect of playing under Rangers boss Neil Warnock.

"He's definitely someone that I'm looking forward to working with.

"I'd rather have a manager who says 'Let's get at them today, boys,' rather than saying 'We must do this or that and stay cool and composed'.

"I can't wait to get back to a bit of normality and win some football matches.

I really enjoy reading this thread and the rewriting of history in regards to Houllier by a couple of posters. What makes it so enjoyable though is the fact that the over the hill, useless, disrespectful clown who served up some of the most gutless tripe I have had the displeasure to witness in my 30 odd years following this great club is gone and isn't ever coming back.

Amen to that.

Houllier was a disaster and a disgrace to the club. I hope he has a happy retirement but that it is as far away from this club as possible.

If he were still in charge the man would have achieved this season what he nearly did last season - take us down.

McLeish for me, every time.

No he wasnt, talk about talking shite.

At least you have matchdays to look forward to now, battling for that all important draw, 9 men behind the ball and waiting for bent to pull the trigger from a Collins punt, I mean through ball.................good times............

I really enjoy reading this thread and the rewriting of history in regards to Houllier by a couple of posters.

This.

But I'm on the other side of the argument.

You'd think Houllier killed a villa fan, the way most people talk about him.

I think the Liverpool incident which caused this unfair venom towards him is blinkering peoples view of his obvious footballing prowess.

To be honest the Liverpool thing didn't bother me, it's all superficial to the bigger picture. So he waved to fans who had made a massive great big banner for him. Boo-hoo. He didn't acknowledge the Villa fans they probably booing him anyway!

He spent many a great year at Liverpool he has every right to be proud off his achievements there.

This doesn't mean he wasn't 100% committed to Villa (which is all I care about) he would have wanted to win that match more than any, trust me on that!

Would you not expect Ashley Young upon his return to acknowledge the Holte End if they are signing his name or a big banner is made for him?!!

As for the "disaster" which was last season. Here are a few facts:

Houllier came in during the season and had no time to put his stamp on the team. He had no pre-season.

He had to deal with the worse injury crisis in living memory.

He had to deal with average players throwing their toys out of their pram because he wanted them to improve.

It was never Houllier's plan to get us top 4 last season, it was a transition/rebuilding season.

It's very simplistic to say we were 6th under MON and under Houllier we were 9th so Houllier is rubbish. Talk about not looking at the bigger picture. MON's football was good to an extent. We'd have SOME success with it but ultimately ball possession would be our achilles heel. Change was needed, change takes time. Houllier's plan wasn't to get us into 6th, it was to take us to the top.

Anyone who thinks that a manager can come in and get instant results with a team he didn't even put together is being very niave and doesn't understand the game.

Houllier has a proven track record of building successful teams so why would anyone doubt him, or the integrity of posters who support him :confused: :confused: :confused:

We can't look to the future but we can look to the past and everything suggests he would have been a success.

Fair play to Luke young and Gabby for coming out in recent days and saying what most of us already suspected - that Houllier was a terrible man manager who didn't have a **** clue how to get the best out of what he had at his disposal.

One of the few positives of McLeish is that at least he is not Houllier.

Luke Young.

"I'd rather have a manager who says 'Let's get at them today, boys,' rather than saying 'We must do this or that and stay cool and composed'.

LOL? I think Luke has found his level playing under Neil Warnock. How dare a manager suggest he keeps cool and composed on the ball! Off with his head!

I'm still waiting for one of our star performers to come out and have a go at Houllier instead of all the average ones.

The pattern here is obvious and for all to see..

Fair play to Luke young and Gabby for coming out in recent days and saying what most of us already suspected - that Houllier was a terrible man manager who didn't have a **** clue how to get the best out of what he had at his disposal.

Fair Play - I dont thinkso!

Very unprofessional IMO

Luke Young.

LOL? I think Luke has found his level playing under Neil Warnock. How dare a manager suggest he keeps cool and composed on the ball! Off with his head!

I'm still waiting for one of our star performers to come out and have a go at Houllier instead of all the average ones.

exactly

Luke Young.

exactly

Yep.

It's no coincidence that the drinking, party lifestyle players really didn't get along with him.

MON's style of player was all about getting a big performance on match day then letting players relax during the week. Houllier's seems to be a case of always having to be professional in every aspect of their lives, on the pitch and off.

It's no wonder players like Dunne, Carew and co revolted. We will never be properly successful though without a more professional approach at the club.

I really enjoy reading this thread and the rewriting of history in regards to Houllier by a couple of posters. What makes it so enjoyable though is the fact that the over the hill, useless, disrespectful clown who served up some of the most gutless tripe I have had the displeasure to witness in my 30 odd years following this great club is gone and isn't ever coming back.

I guess if Houllier had of gone c 20 games without a win, you would have really disliked him.

tin hat firmly in place. lol

One of the few positives of McLeish is that at least he is not Houllier.

One thing I liked about Houllier was that he wasn't MON. Another positive was that he wasn't McLeish.

:crylaugh: Each to their own I guess my friend. We all have different standards. Personally give me top 6 finishes and cup finals over sitting in or with in spitting distance of the bottom three for the majority of the season serving up gutless tripe any day of the week. Oh and if you also find lording it in front of opposing fans preferable whilst completely ignoring the fantastic fans of the great club you manage then yes I guess you would favour Houllier. Again like I said we all have differing standards of what is acceptable.

I guess time is a big factor in comparing managers.

4 years v 12 months v 4 months is a fair old difference.

but I guess you could also say, who's the worst Fred West or Jack the Ripper.

Â