Ashley Young at United

TRO

Fair play, glad to see him flourishing, even if it does still feel a bit wrong to not see him in claret and blue. End of the day he had got more winners medals in the bank after his debut than his entire time with us so how can you hold a grudge. Good luck to the guy.

Given space he is lethal. We saw that in 07-08 when he was relatively unknown. Ever since, he's been double marked.

Lo and Behold! They can't afford to double mark him at ManUre and he's back to his lethal best.

Great player. Shame he left - but can you blame him?

Someone mentioned in a previous thread that he's going back to only having to beat one man again rather than having 2 or 3 stapled to him all game like it was in the last couple of years here. With all the space being created by the other forwards at United, he was always going to up his game and do what he does best.

It is good to see him play well and scoring goals like he did today - he was wonderful for us and left in completely the right, respectful way. See Modric at Spurs for the mirror opposite!

Agreed.

Think Young form really went downhill for us when Barry left. Watching him today and its like 07-08 Ashley Young we had

Yep, United are getting those early balls out to his feet for him like Barry used to do when he was with us.

He can take on a player one on one then.

The other factor is that he will see loads more of the ball at United and will not be doubled up on all the time.

He is a fantastic player though, no mistake. It's no coincidence we have struggled to create chances for Bent since he has left.

Did you see how much movement he had in front of him and around him yesterday?

That's the difference, you make a run in front of him which opens up space and he will use it.

Villas movement is really REALLY poor and is one of the reasons we aren't in the upper echelons of the league.

As United showed yesterday, you dont need 6/7/8 superstars to play football, but good coaching. They only had what you'd call 3/4 experienced players on the pitch and they still battered arsenal!

He has better players around him and a better midfield then Petrov/Reo Coker at the time.

I take your point and i'm sure you ar right about the better players.... but in the 4 years Ash was with us....Reo hardly played if I recall.Certainly under O'Neill that seemed to be the case.

No, just the 102 league matches for Reo-Coker over that period.

I am saying pretty much the same as everybody else really, Ash will do well at United because he will get more space there than he did at the Villa. We know he can tear even the best opposition to shreds on his own if he is given the room in which to do it, which is why opposition clubs started making plans specifically how to deal with him, and doubling up on him when he gets the ball in a dangerous area. You cant do that to a Manchester United player because if you put two men on Ashley Young you just create more space for Wayne Rooney, or Nani, or Hernandez or Berbatov or Giggs (etc) to exploit. Ash will be a star at Manchester United this season, of that there is no doubt.

Rooney loves him, they already seem all over each other and watching out for each other.

I can only imagine on the training ground they spend a lot of time bumming (training) with each other (did I say imagine??).

2 quailty players that will compliment each other to better things. Great signing for Man Utd and Young...

Not so good for Villa, I already miss him and hate seeing him in red and white colours.

More of the ball, better team mates, create space for him.

Really happy for him, one of my favourite players, model Pro, worked so hard to get where he has considering he wasn't even on a contract at 16. Worked so hard and deserved a chance at one of the best clubs, a club I don't really mind that much which helps (when compared to say a Liverpool)

Will be nice when he comes back and gets a great reception! No doubt TV channels won't show that but will quickly jump on us when Downing inevitably gets booed ;)

Im pleased for him. He was always a player destined for the top and used us a stepping stone. I'll always look back and be pleased with his time here, even when people were slagging him off saying he's not as good as he thinks, hope their enjoying the humble pie now. Although i'll always hate players leaving us, you can't really argue against them when it's man u.

Deep down Im chuffed for him. He needed the move. Just double marked here, and we were never good enough to use the space.

I got it wrong when 2 years ago when I said he was world class. Hes certainly got the potential though now to be right up there. Good luck to him

Part of me is happy for him because he's a fantastic player but I also find it difficult because of how big of a star he'll become at United. Guess we can always take pride in that he did play for us and he made his name here.

Difficult to think that 18 months ago we had Young, Milner and Downing playing for us. :(

Deep down Im chuffed for him. He needed the move. Just double marked here, and we were never good enough to use the space.

I got it wrong when 2 years ago when I said he was world class. Hes certainly got the potential though now to be right up there. Good luck to him

MON is that you?

Ashley Young was a lot easier to defend against when he was at Villa. How many times did defenders double up against him, forcing him to ground or kicking lumps out of him? At Man Utd defenders can't commit two defenders onto him because it allows others too much space. The guy is class and deserves the plaudits coming his way and IMO he will only get better.

Pretty much what I was going to say. He's going to get more space because of the better players around him. At Villa, you stopped AY and you stopped us. At Utd, you stop AY and any one of 6 players will destroy you. Bit dperessing really.

Â