Disability Living Allowance - £7.7 Billion

Income Support - £7.7 Billion

Incapacity Benefit - £6.2 Billion

Jobseekers - £3.7 Billion

Council Tax benefit - £2.5 Billion

Maternity Pay - £1.8 Billion

Carer's Allowance - £1.5 Billion

If starting from scratch:

Tax Credits - so you go to work, earn a low but decent wage (higher than you parents, grandparents, etc all earned)...

and then the government just gives you free money on top for no reason? :confused: i say scrap it totally - £24 billion saved.

Income Support - so its topping up wages of low paid workers? is it not livable on those low wages? have people throughout previous generations not lived on a lower real income than that? If it is really unlivable, increase the minimum wage and scrap income support.

£7.7 billion saved.

Child benefit - we pay everyone to have kids, and then help them with their upbringing costs for 16 (or 18?) years.

fair enough in households witha really low income, maybe help them for the first 3-4 years of the childs life.

but 16 years for households earning 100k. scrap most of that...

save maybe half the bill - £5.5billion.

Housing benefit - tricky one. should we pay someone's housing costs for life?

Tax Credits - so you go to work, earn a low but decent wage (higher than you parents, grandparents, etc all earned)...

and then the government just gives you free money on top for no reason? :confused: i say scrap it totally - £24 billion saved.

do you have kids? i'd like to see you send your child to nursey and still pay for all other bills. My mrs works full time and is the mother of a 3 year old that has no help at all off the father. Her nursery fee's are about 450 per month so without her tax credits her only choice would be to not work and claim all the other benefits and live for free. Things are not as black and white as you make out.

do you have kids? i'd like to see you send your child to nursey and still pay for all other bills. My mrs works full time and is the mother of a 3 year old that has no help at all off the father. Her nursery fee's are about 450 per month so without her tax credits her only choice would be to not work and claim all the other benefits and live for free. Things are not as black and white as you make out.

i know i was simplifying it a bit, but how did people previously cope?

When did tax credits start, 1990's? So what happened before then?

i'm just wandering if you set up the whole benefits system from scratch now, would it be designed very differently?

yes, i have 2 kids - a 2 year old at nursery, and a 4 month old.

we would have got tax credits under Labour (£66k income limit?), but Tories reduced the threshold just as we would have started to claim (£44k income limit?). yes, tax credits are nice to have, but are they really necessary at the level they are at?

Really? Very surprised by that. I encounter far more people who claim CA than MA, and the difference in pay isnt usually that much. See more people claiming Severe Disability Allowance or Bereavement Benefit/Allowance than MA too. I'd guess ESA would fall in line JSA

i know i was simplifying it a bit, but how did people previously cope?

When did tax credits start, 1990's? So what happened before then?

i'm just wandering if you set up the whole benefits system from scratch now, would it be designed very differently?

yes, i have 2 kids - a 2 year old at nursery, and a 4 month old.

we would have got tax credits under Labour (£66k income limit?), but Tories reduced the threshold just as we would have started to claim (£44k income limit?). yes, tax credits are nice to have, but are they really necessary at the level they are at?

i think the whole point of them is to make it more attractive for mothers to go back to work. Me and the mrs are moving into a house next thurs so its only recently i've had an opionion on them. To put it blunt we will be screwed without them we bring in about 32k a year between us and with the price of living going up and i also have a 3 year old from a previous relationship to support. We are buying the house and the tax credits are playing a big part in us being able to do that and so we are very gratefull of them.

I'd be intersted to know how much taxpayer money is thrown at non uk citizens with no jobs?

2010 cost of top 10 benefits:

Tax Credits - £24 Billion

Housing Benefit - £22 Billion

Child Benefit - £11 Billion

Disability Living Allowance - £7.7 Billion

Income Support - £7.7 Billion

Incapacity Benefit - £6.2 Billion

Jobseekers - £3.7 Billion

Council Tax benefit - £2.5 Billion

This is the whole point.

There is an estimated 100 billion which is avoided in tax each year and thats not even considering tax evasion.

Why are you not harping on about that?

booze fags and mags.

the only person to sort this shit out is Ted Maul. You only need to watch the satirical clip about Cowsick to realise some people are more than happy to live off benefits as a lifestyle choice. It's not enough for a great life, but it gets them sky tv, rustlers burgers, fags and Sports Direct clothing.

thats the biggest problem, the previous government managed to turn having kids in to a career choice, add that to what i think ender4 is getting that, people who even 10 years ago wouldnt be entitled to anything are now entitled to a fair bit and the horse has bolted

people used to be able to make do , i dont think they could now, they'd be riots if child benefits were cut, wasbt there a claim from a leading charity recently that children would be starving in the street if cuts were made, its not really true is it?

thats the biggest problem, the previous government managed to turn having kids in to a career choice, add that to what i think ender4 is getting that, people who even 10 years ago wouldnt be entitled to anything are now entitled to a fair bit and the horse has bolted

people used to be able to make do , i dont think they could now, they'd be riots if child benefits were cut, wasbt there a claim from a leading charity recently that children would be starving in the street if cuts were made, its not really true is it?

What do you mean by career..!

People used to make do - oh you mean like in the 80s...?!

If they live the life of Riley then why don't you give your job up retire you live their life.

Thatcher created an underclass system in the 1980s by making at least 2-4 million unemployed by taking away their industries - Coal,steel, docks ect.

Those 2-4 million had a family so you can then double that figure. Generations then grew up without strong role models and a working ethic. Communities were destroyed ask the Welsh and the northern industrial Cities...!

The wealthiest people in this country get away time and time again withouht paying millions and billions in tax. Thats right an individual can get away with not paying a million in tax yet you seem more concerned about some getting 50 pounds a month money on bennifits. What a fantastically constructed intellectual view point you have made. You dont read the Daily Mail do you?

This video tells it like it is.

Â