Ratings and reactions: Villa 2-0 Hereford

limpid

Just got back...Bannan is the most gifted footballer at the club easily .

Thought he was ok tonight have now seen enough of him to predict that he won't make it in the Premiership...the kid gives his all but isn't good enough to play 30+ games in the premier league, he will at best be an impact player for the last 15-20 minutes.

agreed

Thought he was ok tonight have now seen enough of him to predict that he won't make it in the Premiership...the kid gives his all but isn't good enough to play 30+ games in the premier league, he will at best be an impact player for the last 15-20 minutes.

Won't make it ? Have a word . He's the most natural footballer at the club .

Just got back from VP-

Tactics were bad from AMC the first hour. We basically played with 4 cbs, because Herd and Lichaj weren't allowed to go past midfield. No width made Albrighton predictable. Ireland looked aloof. I think he's a VERY poor man's Zidane...his technique is great but at times it looks like he's lazy. Hereford's GK had the match of his life. Did anyone notice Hereford brought on a player shorter than Bannan on 90 minutes??

Guzan- 6 Didn't have anything to do. Heard Hereford fans chanting "you're just a crap Brad Friedel" harsh-but funny as hell!

Herd- 6

Dunne- 7 Very calm, cool and collected back there

Clark- 7 See above

Lichaj-8 Strong defending and confident going forward. Before the goal he had a great shot saved by Hereford's Iker Casillas! USA!USA!USA! I wish they'd play him at RB!

Makoun- 5 first half 7 2nd half. He seemed a bit lazy 1st half, turned it up later on tbf

Bannan- 7 Very good match...I think he's got great technique, but he's not quite ready yet.

Ireland-7? The guy probably can't even score in FIFA!! Casillas (Hereford's) denied him 3 times and he had a better 2nd half than first

Albrighton- 6 Meh....sooooooooooo predictable going forward, a bunch of poor crosses, better in 2nd.

N'Zogbia- 6 He still doesn't seem 100% fit to me.

Bent- 6 Lots of hustle, but frustrated by lack of service.

Subs-

Weimann-8 You can tell he's got great technique and tons of potential. Unlucky not to have scored.

Fonz- 7 Right place, right time for the goal...Glad he played up front and not on the wing!!

Beye-8 (for the 10 mins he played!) Heard lots of stick "he's on 55k million billion dollars a week....he's shit...etc" but he put in a great cross in that was nodded down for Fonz to score. The guy is a good player, just hasn't been given a proper chance (LB vs Vienna---yes he should have done better on that cross...but cut him some slack, out of position!)

21k and change attendance....better than what I expected tbf.

Not a great match, but a good result!

Lichaj for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't wanna hate on Bannan, but I might be leaning towards saying he might not be good enough. Still WAY too early to say for sure though.

I was on the 2nd last row of the upper Holte (they wouldn't let us on the last row )and we could see it was a deflection from up there

I think you're on about pass back to the goalie getting a deflection.

Yes I saw that BUT the original pass was on it's way back to the goalie, it only took a slight nick off the other defender surely?

Not 100% sure of the rules but everyone in lower Trinity who could see the line of the ball was going mad about it.

Wiemann's shot I mean which looked like it took ahuge deflection and hit the bar ?

Are you for real? He bosses most matches he starts.

Not trying to be funny but have you got any stats to suggest he bosses most games he starts....can't think of many assits and I can only remember him scoring one goal Rapid Vienna away I think 2 yard tap in. Look i would love it if he proved me wrong but I just can't see him playing week in week out in the hardest league in the world.

Not long back. Toss up between Bannan and Ireland for man of the match but I'd go with Bannan. The two of them linked up really well together and ran the show for us. Sadly Makoun was again not up to scratch although it was his first competitive game time of the season so he will hopefully yet come good.

The rest all put in a decent shift and in all fairness the scoreline didn't reflect the game as we dominated.

Decent crowd tonight given the stage of the competition and level of opposition.

I'm not getting the Ireland love in? Little end product, either cut out passes or just not quite good enough. Chances to score, didn't take them. Wouldn't see he was bad but for what is role is, man of the match? ...no.

Bannan did well but again but nothing has changed when it comes down to how to use him and how he fits best in the team. (which is the problem) no one can question his ability.

Slightly OT but he reminds me a little of Steven Davis.

IMO he looks like the only player we have that could actually control a game, him Ireland and delph has to be worth a look, so does weimann who looked hungrier than the fonz, everyone one looked good for periods of the game makoun and albrighton desperately short of confidence

anyone else have the pleasure of the pissed up muppet in the lower holte who was ridiculously loud could barely talk but when he did it made no sense and sang holte Enders in the sun

and why aren't they showing our goals on ssn? Every goal but ours

Wiemann's shot I mean which looked like it took ahuge deflection and hit the bar ?

Oh I see.....

I couldn't see the deflection from where I was sat but everyone including Big Eck was going mad that no corner was given.

Mcleish was not well chuffed with the officials tonight...and I have to say I agree with them. Shocking again!

Slightly OT but he reminds me a little of Steven Davis.

Good shout mate....if i being honest think Davis was more of a goal threat.

Another just got back.

My view from 4 rows back behind the goal in the Holte.

Guzan - 6 - Did most things well. Kicked long too much when a ball out to a player would have been better. Could have released Albrighton well down the left but didn't. Punched when should have caught. Other than that, not a lot to do.

Herd - 7 - Very impressive. Athletic, confident, happy with the ball.

Dunne - 7 - The old head at the back. Kept it tidy, did absolutely everything right.

Clark - 6 - Not as involved as Dunne but didn't do anything really wrong I could see.

Lichaj - 7 - Fantastic shot deserved a goal but for a wonder save from Cornell. Did very well playing as LB. His goal was actually really well taken, he was first to react when the ball dropped.

Makoun - 6 - Shaky start, tidy the rest of the game. Didn't take the impetus to impress, but kept us motoring in a Petrov-esque way. Few times he could have driven towards goal and had a pop but chose to pass to Albrighton way out on the wing.

Ireland - 7.5 - Almost our best player. Got involved, some fantastic vision with some of the balls he played. Had a great understanding with Makoun, they looked very good together.

Bannan - 8 - Wow what a player. Absolutely agree the most technically gifted player at the club. He was a class above everyone else out there tonight. Darren Fletcher reckons he's Scotland's Xavi or Iniesta. Yep I'd agree with that.

N'Zogbia - 6 - Just not direct enough. Didn't see loads of the ball and wasn't especially dangerous. Not sure why.

Albrighton - 5 - Terrible until the last 10 minutes on the left. Crosses were awful and couldn't get around his full-back. Much more dangerous cutting in from the left.

Bent - 6 - Without any goals Bent doesn't really impress. Which is fine when he does score goals, but nothing dropped or found its way to him tonight.

Subs: Delfouneso - 7 - Freshened it up a bit. Couldn't really miss the goal.

Weimann - 8 - Excellent little cameo. Direct and driving at the Hereford defence. His shot that deflected off the defender then hit the bar was unlucky. He must have Banana feet if the ref thought it was a goal kick. I think Bannan is still protesting now.

Beye - 10 - Did more in 4 minutes than he's done in the last 3 seasons. Fantastic cross for the 2nd goal for Weimann to knock it across an open goal for Delf. Then a mazy run from Right-back Kyle Walker style which almost had him clean through.

Couple of points; We gave them far too much respect. We tried to play them as a PL-quality team and didn't run at them, didn't take shots on, didn't take any risks. Just the easy ball or the ball out wide all the time. The amount of space Bent had where he should have been played in was astounding. A little more dare and it could have been 5 or 6.

Nice touch from Bent at the end giving his shirt to a little girl in the Holte. Ireland was also acknowledging the fans.

Are you for real? He bosses most matches he starts.

Not trying to be funny but have you got any stats to suggest he bosses most games he starts....can't think of many assits and I can only remember him scoring one goal Rapid Vienna away I think 2 yard tap in. Look i would love it if he proved me wrong but I just can't see him playing week in week out in the hardest league in the world.

Erm Modric doesn't get goals and assists does that make him a bad player? That's a bit of a strange way to back up your argument.

EDIT: Nasri got one assist last season too.

I'm not getting the Ireland love in? Little end product, either cut out passes or just not quite good enough. Chances to score, didn't take them. Wouldn't see he was bad but for what is role is, man of the match? ...no.

Bannan did well but again but nothing has changed when it comes down to how to use him and how he fits best in the team. (which is the problem) no one can question his ability.

Ireland was really good. Hardly anyone in the team tonight had much of an end product, but his part in the pass and move stuff with Bannan and Makoun was good. He should really have put the header away though.

Bannan is absolutely a left sided CM. He's about the closest player I can think of to Gareth Barry. They're very similar apart from one likes custard and the other doesn't.

Got back from the game. Hard to say who MotM was as Bannan was our best player in the first half and Ireland was the best in the second. Makoun looked a bit shaky at times, still not sure on him. Beye looked hungry for football and Wiemann impressed me when he came on. Really nice to see Lichaj get his goal - really meant something to him judging by the celebration!!

Like someone said above, nice touch by Bent giving his shirt to the little girl!

Ireland MOTM for me.

Looked like he was really trying at times and genuinely pissed off with himself for not scoring those two chances,also nice to see him egging on some of the younger players.

Ireland was really good. Hardly anyone in the team tonight had much of an end product, but his part in the pass and move stuff with Bannan and Makoun was good. He should really have put the header away though.

Bannan is absolutely a left sided CM. He's about the closest player I can think of to Gareth Barry. They're very similar apart from one likes custard and the other doesn't.

You're right and that's why a lot of the attacking players deserve fairly low marks.

At times it looked good but too many times where a pass was just slightly over hit for Bent, or a chance to shoot, being too slow on the ball, or a chance to score, missed.

In the Prem, as we've seen, he gets even less time, less chances and less margain for error with his passes.

So I wasn't really impressed. (Nor was I with Bent/Albrighton/N'Zogbia)

Â