NottingVilla

4285 down on last season, a tiny away following, bit different from the 8k you want us to believe, or would that not be sensational enough to prove your point.

The point about the away following is a decent one. Blackburn brought about 300-400 West Ham brought about 2500.

No one can deny it was a disappointing attendance and I hate being in VP with so many empty seats but it was nowhere near as bad as the OP is making out and certainly not down to Big Eck.

I live too far away to go to the game.

Maybe it's easier to get to from "Brumerica"

*cringe*

I live in Brum...My wife's American....I spend my time between the two places so hence the username, ( I assume your username refers to you not being in Villa park eh ?) but if you want to talk about cringeworthy statements then I refer you back to your post in the match thread yesterday pre-kick off. Actually 90 % of the shit you type makes a lot of us cringe. (In fact aren't you the childish **** tit who said there was some big transfer news being released at silly oclock in the morning , only for it to turn out that you were just taking the piss out of your own fans ?)

Cringe indeed .

A **** shit line-up from a **** shit manager.

I'd say that was **** shit post from a **** shit poster .

Our attendance today. Is this a record low for a season opener? I can't remember a prem game that low never-mind the first match of the season.

Should be 40k at least. Sadly it looks like Mcleish's appointment has cost us about 8,000 fans and lots of lost revenue.

Will the attendances pick up over the season?

I can only point out my own unattendance and that of my 5 friends was nothing to do with McLeish and EVERYTHING to do do with the board.

Whether I or they will be tempted back anytime soon is very much up in the air

One might argue that McLeish's appointment is only one symptom of the real factor here, which is that the club is no longer trying to compete at the level it once was - certainly not in such direct fashion.

Of course, just as players like Downing desert the club in such circumstances, so will some fans. It's not as exciting as it has been for the past few seasons. Such is life. We won't be the only set of supporters feeling like this at the start of this campaign, and many have it much worse.

We've had a decent few years, and there are still things to be optimistic about at the club. In the short term, these include a solid start to the campaign.

I'd expect a decent turnout against Wolves next weekend, too.

@brumerican You sound really angry. Maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard and take some deep breaths.

Not angry at all. We won the game pretty convincingly so I am happy.

I normally just sit back and let all the manic depressives ruin the Villa related board on this website but every now and again I like to make a stand . You are entitled to your opinion but when that opinion is just constant bile , negativity and criticism it can become rather annoying...So if I can get you into a petty discourse with myself, then it means you aren't typing your tedious digs at the club you claim to "support".

Its just like getting a dog to chase a laser pen dot around for a bit to stop him chewing the furniture and to be honest it works every time.

Fair enough if people want to stay away because it is becoming too expensive and they can't afford it at the moment. It is expensive and takes a big commitment financially.

However, I can not for the life of me understand those who are staying away because of the board and/or manager. I hope that the people staying away because of this won't bother coming back if we do well. Part time supporters is something that comes to mind.

Many of us aren't happy with the managerial choice or certain things that the board are doing, yet we support Aston Villa. If some of you want to demand trophies then bugger off to Old Trafford...

We all want success but these are difficult times for most clubs.

@brumerican You sound really angry. Maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard and take some deep breaths.

You can't spout shit and then come out with bollocks like this. Either you answer the point or not...

Hate it when people go on about the attendance and they didn't even go to the game.

Especially when the reasons given are not financial /logistical .

I hated O'Leary with a passion and he had a shit team playing crap football, but I still went as often as money and timing would allow.

Fan is short for fanatic and throwing your toys out of the pram because you aren't getting what you want isn't the behaviour of a fanatic IMO.

If you don't want to go then fine but you really shouldn't whine about people not supporting the club when you can't be arsed to support them yourself .

i think alot of it is to do with eck being appointed but its no suprise to be fair he has come from our most bitter rivals. I didnt go because of work although i saw most of it on the net. There is also the fact that two star players have gone but over the last two seasons we have played blackburn about 12 times! I hope we dont get them in a cup again they are shit and im sick of watching them lol

Crap attendance, was a depressing sight for the first home game of the season.

I would have expected 38,000 at least irregardless of the opposition.

If it is the case that people are staying away cos they dislike the manager then surely that's a severe case of cutting off your nose to spite your face, we all felt underwhelmed at least with the appointment of McLeish but you go to support the club and to play your part in its history, if people have lost sight of this then I feel sorry for them.

Plenty of things really. Wigan in 08/09 was only 3,000 more by the way ....I'd say it was a similar game in terms of quality of opposition.

Money is an issue but I think the couple of thousands on the fence who had possibly parted with their money, especially season tickets have probably decided not to go, number of reasons, the manager choice wasn't one to get excited about even if you are behind it. The lack of spending and the fact we've gone from a position where we felt we could complete for those top 6 places, to a team now probably going to have to settle from anywhere from 7th-12th in reality. Suddenly a few people might go from 51% yes...to 51% no ..if you know what I mean. I'm sure had we bought 3/4 more players, You'd see a few more season tickets and general tickets sold.

It's a series of things, had we spent £20 million (net) this season, I imagine we'd have seen 35-36kish.

I certainly don't think the sole reason for people not going is 'Alex McLeish' baring maybe a couple hundred pathetic people. Collection of things from money spent on team, general chances of success, financial times and manager, add all together and you'll see a decline.

Unemployment rate is the same as this time last year in Birmingham.

I hope this helps.

and the longer it stays the same the less people will be able to afford to go to football games

there wouldve been plenty of unemployed people going to games last year, or buying a season ticket, who cant afford it this year since they didnt get back into work like they might have expected

Our attendance today. Is this a record low for a season opener? I can't remember a prem game that low never-mind the first match of the season.

Should be 40k at least. Sadly it looks like Mcleish's appointment has cost us about 8,000 fans and lots of lost revenue.

Will the attendances pick up over the season?

I chalk it up to AM being appointed manager, SD and AY being sold, the sense of weariness about all things Villa the last year....and the fact that it was Blackburn Rovers....

And have they not raised some ticket prices?

Blackburn are reported to have brought a meagre 200 to VP yesterday.

Most sides with even average support would have brought circa 3000 to their first away game of the season - a Saturday 3pm fixture in August. That would have banged the gate up past the usual 35k +

Hope this helps.

Though seeing as the OP wants to turn this into another tedious anti McLeish thread, it probably won't.

I don't think you can say that the poor crowd is purely down to Mcleish. There are other factors at play here.

1.Fickle fans may simply believe that we are a weaker team due to the loss of a couple key players..(which IMO the team is weaker).

2.Just because the unemployment rate has not changed does not mean that people may be more cautious with monetary spending.

3.We were playing a poor blackburn team. Not exactly creating excitement there and this could well have an impact on crowd figures.

With a few more good performances like that, hopefully the fans will come back and decide to spend their hard-earned.

UTV