Football Manager 2012

AndyClarke

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key new features;

Key new & improved features for Football Manager 2012:

Transfers & Contracts – significant changes to the transfer and contract systems, including loyalty bonuses, better implementation of amateur and youth contracts, an improved transfer centre and the ability to lock areas of the contract negotiation when you aren't prepared to budge. This helps you to manage your budgets and gives you flexibility in what you offer money hungry players, or agents, as incentives.

Scouting improvements – using several real life scouting reports, a new in-game report has been devised which includes squad analysis, tactics information and information about goals scored and conceded alongside lots of other scouting improvements, giving you all the information you need to prepare before kick-off and throughout the season.

3D Match Improvements – new animations, a whole new crowd system, improved weather system, more stadiums, plus two brand new cameras - "Behind Goal" and "Director Cam" as well as all other camera angles being reversible - meaning you can watch and analyse every aspect of every game.

Manage Anywhere, Anytime – the ability to add or take away playable nations in your saved game as often as you want. Manage in that country at the start of the next season- meaning you don’t have to stay in the nations which are chosen by you to be playable at the start of your career.

Tone – a whole new level has been added to team talks and conversations, with the new tone system, which allows you to specify the way you want to say things – be as cool as a cucumber by saying things calmly or throw tea cups around by saying things with passion. There are 6 different tones to choose from with specific comments per tone.

Intelligent Interface – a new adaptive layout system, which means the higher your screen resolution, the more info is easily at your fingertips. The new interface also contains new filters, customisable columns, a new tactics screen, and lots of new overview screens.

Brand New Tutorial – standing separate from the main game, a mode to help new players find their way around the game easily, whilst also offering tips to experienced managers on how to get the most out of the game, as well as a new in-game “how to” system.

On top of these key innovations, there are lots of areas of the game that have had huge improvements, such as the media system, press conferences, the youth system, newgens, the social networking options, friendlies, international management and many more which will be detailed in a series of video blogs over the coming months, alongside more information about Football Manager 2012.

Bit worrying that I am getting increasingly apathetic toward FM with every passing year

Feature bloat. I can't keep track of all the things I need to do to be successful...

I feel quite guilty about it, as I do love FM, but some of the features on FIFA Manager were really nice. Having youth camps around the world, and then having a proper in depth youth system where you can go and check squads and results all the way to u12s. Alright, some stuff like having a wife, and a dog, and buying a house wasnt important at all, but having a kid who could play for your team was interesting too. I used to play him even though he was shit :D Think FM needs something to change it up a bit, last time I got 'excited' for a new one was for the 3D match engine. Then again I'm probably in the minority, they don't want to change it too much and risk upsetting their core fan base - they have enough grief off them when upon initial release 'this is the worst most buggiest FM ever!!!'. I'm sure that has happened for at least the last 3 years running

Bit worrying that I am getting increasingly apathetic toward FM with every passing year

Feature bloat. I can't keep track of all the things I need to do to be successful...

My problem too. I havent played a FM game in a while, probably since the FM/CM split six or seven years ago if I am talking about when I last played a game seriously. Every year I think about getting the new one, this year I have a real itch. I'm just worried that there are so many things I need to keep on top of that the game just collapses under its own weight. I like thinking about making signing, I like coming up with tactics, making substitutions and I even quite like dicking around with the stadium. I dont give a **** whether the side practices corners on a Tuesday afternoon or a Wednesday morning though, and I certainly dont care who takes throw ins. How much of the game can you delegate to AI coaches these days, and are you punished if you decide to do that?

You're not going to see real players under the age of 16 (or at least younger than 15 3/4) I'm afraid.

Oh they wouldnt have to be real, gens would be fine

My problem too. I havent played a FM game in a while, probably since the FM/CM split six or seven years ago if I am talking about when I last played a game seriously. Every year I think about getting the new one, this year I have a real itch. I'm just worried that there are so many things I need to keep on top of that the game just collapses under its own weight. I like thinking about making signing, I like coming up with tactics, making substitutions and I even quite like dicking around with the stadium. I dont give a **** whether the side practices corners on a Tuesday afternoon or a Wednesday morning though, and I certainly dont care who takes throw ins. How much of the game can you delegate to AI coaches these days, and are you punished if you decide to do that?

You slide some bars across for areas of training for players to focus on, and that's really it. If you hire good coaches, and have good training facilities then training will be better - but thats really it. You usually make a training schedule (which is just a general thing, not x on mon, x on tue, etc.) for each position and allocate all the players in that position the same schedule. So strickers will work focus on finishing and strength wereas central defenders will focus on tackling and tactics, for example. And if you don't touch training at all then all players do the same default training schedule which has each area of training at equal levels.

As for the stadium you can't really do alot with that at all. They only last year introduced the option to ask the board to build a new one. But then the manager doesnt decide how many tiers the new main stand will have, and what colour the seats will be, do they? Which is a shame cos I love dicking around with that stuff too :D

Assistants can do all press conferences.

Training, well to be fair, you can just leave it and it won't effect it a great deal. I do position schedules (I.e. GK, RB, CB, CM, LW) which I did when i first got the game and then anytime I play a game I just import them onto the new game or new team. Creating them took about 15 minutes, and haven't had to adjust them since first got the game so really isn't anything. When a new player signs....say you sign Charlie Adam, stick him into the "CM" schedule and that's it until he leaves!

Can do the tactics, however simple/complex you like. Personally, I change every single slider on the game just because I'm bored and want to create something special but I've also had plenty success when I just pretty much used the tactics creator tool which takes 2-3 minutes, and then just changed a couple sliders here and there on a few players. Overall tactics 5 minutes ....then just sign players and play games.

FM has loads stuff you can do it, I like to take control of coaching, developing youngsters, tutoring, the right coaches etc....but in reality, you can be successful on this game however simple/complex you want it to be. It's upto you. If you do a simple tactic, forget scouting, forget training schedules, tutoring etc...you can still have fun and win things.

I've got to the stage in my game though where I spent loads of time at the start of time in Premiership creating tactic, setting out coaches, scouting etc...probably an hour or two ....now, I rarely do much, I play my games, I finish a season, I check out all my scout reports and transfer market, buy the best young players or any player I need at that time (usually buy 3/4 young players and maybe one senior player) once signed, click a single button to put them onto their training schedules. Get them tutored by a senior pro (finding the youngster/offering deal/sorting out training/tutoring is all done honestly within minutes) and then I'm set for the next season. I pretty much skip through pre-season within about 20-30 minutes and then ready to play competitive again.

The idea that FM is some super complicated game nowadays is IMO wrong, it's as simple or complex as you make it. There are loads of things you can do but you don't have too do things and for the most part it won't have a serious affect on your game, such as scouting or training schedules, tutoring, training focuses etc...

Buy it, take the gamble. You may or may not like it just because of the game itself not being as you'd hope but I'll be pretty shocked if anyone finds the game too complicated to play. Especially once you've messed around with it a little bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Â