Strange/Funny Names

hogso

The rude names XI:

Goalkeeper - Quim

The beauty of the name of the Portugal international Quim, is that he shares his moniker with a swear word that flies under a lot of people's radar. Therefore you can never quite tell if the commentators are in on the gag or not.

Right Back - Francisco 'Chiqui' Arce

As if having 'Arce' as a surname isn't bad enough, the former Paraguay right back prefaced it with the nickname 'Chiqui', to show true commitment to having a rude name.

Left Back - Rod Fanni

As a former transfer target of Newcastle, the Rennes full back Rod Fanni probably isn't aware of how close he came to complete ridicule, had he moved to the area of the UK, that gave the world Viz.

Centre Back - Rafael Scheidt

Celtic fans will tell you that a player has never been more appropriately named than Rafael Scheidt. A lot was expected of the Brazilian international when he was signed for £5m, but Scheidt left Celtic after playing just three games.

Centre Back - Argelico ****

Partnering Scheidt in central defence, is Argelico ****. Another Brazilian, **** was made famous when his name appeared in the following legendary internet headline, after his move from Palmeiras to Benfica.

Defensive Midfield - Albert Nad

Albert Nad was capped 45 times for Serbia and Montenegro. It almost goes without saying that he possessed great ball control.

Midfield - Wayne Wanklin

Unlike the rest of the team, who all hail from non-English speaking countries, poor old Wayne Wanklin of Reading had to endure a lifetime of sniggering about his name, while all the time knowing just why everyone was laughing.

Winger - Cha Bum-Kun

Cha Bum-Kun was a South Korean legend with 55 goals in 121 caps. To us though, he is best remembered as being one letter 'm' away from rude name immortality.

Winger - Brian Pinas

Unlike Rod Fanni, the naïve youngster Brian Pinas made the mistake of joining Newcastle United and was greeted by the following editorial in The Sun: "Pity soccer star Brian Pinas. The first time a referee takes his name he'll get sent off for using foul language."

Striker - Ralf Minge

Minge is a former East Germany international who spent his entire career sith Dynamo Dresden. Now he coaches the Germany Under-20 side and runs an amusingly named sports consultancy business.

Striker - Stefan Kuntz

Commentators tend to play license with the pronunciation of rude foreign names, but there was little flexibility when it came to Stefan Kuntz.

I was working with a colleague when we were in the cold calling days of our youth! he dialed a number hung up the phone then laughed!!

I asked why and he told me the womans name.......Fanny Creece was the womans name, needless to say we never phoned her as we were not able to hold back the laughter!

• 3 months later...

One of my work colleagues just worked on the case of a Mr Sweeney Todd :D hahaha :lol: Not from Fleet Street though

Couple of weeks ago I encountered a chap who had changed his first name to YogiBear. Couldn't seem to shake the image in my minds eye of him only wearing a green Hat & Tie. Clearly not smarter than the average person, I presume :P

Ooooooh I've been waiting for a thread like this for a long time. God I hate stupid names. With a passion. And Asian cultures, especially those whiny Taiwanese singers, are chock full of them.

Some examples:

Rainie Yang

Fish Leong

Power Chan

Apple Hong

And this one probably takes the cake.

Alien Huang

People actually swoon over these artistes. I just sit on the sidelines and chuckle.

I've seen a doctor named D'Eath.
There used to be a doctor just down the road from me called Dr. W. Anker. Seriously.

That reminds me - I once saw a nominal list with a name called "Long Dick Long" on it. No joke.

P.S. That's a Chinese name, Long being the surname and Dick Long the first name.

• 7 months later...

When I was going to school ( about 100 years ago ) there was a boy in my class called Johnny Bates,which sounds quite ordinary but the teacher always refered to him as Master Bates.It meant nothing to us then but it does now.

There were 2 brothers that went to school as well and their last name was Spitz.We all used to call them the goob brothers ( in those days goob was slang for spit ) Not reall a funny name to go in this thread but worth mentioning I think.

I've probably already put it in this thread somewhere, but we had a Peter Niss at school.

HIs parents must have hated him.

One of our teachers swears on his life that he used to teach a guy called Orson Cart

Â