Las Vegas - MGM Grand

kingphil

Go back in November for the first time since my wedding there 6 years ago.

Really looking forward to doing the bits we missed out on due to the wedding :)

Staying in Luxor, which I went in a few times (brother stayed there), not as nice as Caesars, but still a cool venue. 

On 27/03/2019 at 12:16, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I haven’t been since 2014 and fly on Thursday. I’m not sure where’s good to go these days. Any tips for clubs and bars? Omnia has opened since then, but not sure if it’s good or not. 

We’ve planned for XS one night, but nothing else booked as yet. 

Omnia was amazing. Saw Calvin Harris there on Friday. But crazy expensive. Not sure if it was just because Harris was on or if it's always like that. Entrance was $160 on the door and the first round of 3 drinks cost me another 160.

Hakkasan was probably the best night. But again it's down to the DJ. Steve Aoki was on and he was incredible.

Intrigue at the Wynn was awful. Apex at the Palms was quite shit but probably worth it for the views.

Drai's was good, both the day club and night club. It was a lot more hip hop than other clubs though so depends what you're after.

Didn't go to XS but a few people said that was a good place too. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Omnia was amazing. Saw Calvin Harris there on Friday. But crazy expensive. Not sure if it was just because Harris was on or if it's always like that. Entrance was $160 on the door and the first round of 3 drinks cost me another 160.

Hakkasan was probably the best night. But again it's down to the DJ. Steve Aoki was on and he was incredible.

Intrigue at the Wynn was awful. Apex at the Palms was quite shit but probably worth it for the views.

Drai's was good, both the day club and night club. It was a lot more hip hop than other clubs though so depends what you're after.

You must be a millionaire, saved for years or had a lotto  win if you did all that !

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You must be a millionaire, saved for years or had a lotto  win if you did all that !

None of the above. I did get my bonus just before we went though ;) 

Edited by Stevo985

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if it was amazing, those prices are just ridiculous and would quell my enjoyment of the evening. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

None of the above. I did get my bonus just before we went though ;) 

Well I hope it was worth it! I must admit I've gone off Vegas it's really become such a poser place and the money you have tk spend to go on a night out at the club is just crazy. I've been to better clubs in other countries for no where near the price vegas charge. 

Such a shame the corporations have ruined it toj what it once was. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Even if it was amazing, those prices are just ridiculous and would quell my enjoyment of the evening. 

I think if it had been the first night I'd have felt the same.

But it was the last night, I knew what I had left to spend and could afford so knew that even though it was ridiculously expensive, I had enough left that i could say **** it.

If it had been day 1 when I was worried about money then you're right, to be honest I just wouldn't have gone in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Well I hope it was worth it! I must admit I've gone off Vegas it's really become such a poser place and the money you have tk spend to go on a night out at the club is just crazy. I've been to better clubs in other countries for no where near the price vegas charge. 

Such a shame the corporations have ruined it toj what it once was. 

If I went back, and I'd love to, I wouldn't touch the clubs. I only went because the lads I went to wanted to go to a couple.

I might go to the day/beach ones as they were a lot of fun. But the night ones really aren't worth it.

Even though I had a great time, I'd rather go to some more normal bars and get drunk there and still be alive fore the morning!

I had far more fun in our 3 days in LA than I did in Vegas 

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thanks for the tips. I think we’re going to try Omnia, but on Thursday night, so it might be a tad quieter as there’s no top-tier DJ playing. 

I went to Hakkasan last time, but was horridly drunk so barely remember much! I think that could be one for Saturday night. 

I wasn’t a fan of the new Drais, but that’s because it was pretty empty when we went in 2014, and they didn’t have the outdoor area open (not sure if they do so at night if the club is packed?). 

You can’t beat a bit of LV, but **** - it really takes it out of you and you feel like you need a proper holiday afterwards. 

7 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Thanks for the tips. I think we’re going to try Omnia, but on Thursday night, so it might be a tad quieter as there’s no top-tier DJ playing. 

I went to Hakkasan last time, but was horridly drunk so barely remember much! I think that could be one for Saturday night. 

I wasn’t a fan of the new Drais, but that’s because it was pretty empty when we went in 2014, and they didn’t have the outdoor area open (not sure if they do so at night if the club is packed?). 

You can’t beat a bit of LV, but **** - it really takes it out of you and you feel like you need a proper holiday afterwards. 

Like I said we had a 3 day break in LA and it was so needed. It was my favourite part of the trip, but even if you love the clubs we needed that time off.

I think a lot of the clubs depend on the DJ. The only reason Hakkasan was so good was because Aoki was so good.

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If I went back, and I'd love to, I wouldn't touch the clubs. I only went because the lads I went to wanted to go to a couple.

I might go to the day/beach ones as they were a lot of fun. But the night ones really aren't worth it.

Even though I had a great time, I'd rather go to some more normal bars and get drunk there and still be alive fore the morning!

I had far more fun in our 3 days in LA than I did in Vegas 

I can understand this. I’m thinking now to suggest this approach for Saturday night and then we can head to Encore Beach Club on Sunday feeling relatively normal (for Vegas at least).

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Like I said we had a 3 day break in LA and it was so needed. It was my favourite part of the trip, but even if you love the clubs we needed that time off.

I think a lot of the clubs depend on the DJ. The only reason Hakkasan was so good was because Aoki was so good.

Did you end up doing anything on the way to LA?   And what did you do in LA?

I'd be gutted if I had to go to clubs in Vegas, even though (apart from Gambling) that's one of the main pulls. 

I went to Lavo one night, which was alright, but I just don't enjoy club music much, and paying eye watering fees (even for Vegas standards) would further tarnish it for me. 

I've said before, but a litre bottle of Vodka and 3 mixers, given to you by a (absolutely beautiful) woman in stockings should have cost us $1500 (bottle service in VIP they called it) and, had I, or any of my party paid that, it would have been terrible.  We got it gratis, but we looked at the bar menu and were amazed the service cost more than $200, never mind 6 times that. 

I'll be doing more site seeing, like the neon graveyard, catch a show or two, visiting Caesars again, and other hotels we didn't manage to go see.  

I just don't enjoy much music (which is a fallacy of mine) to warrant spending a lot of money going to clubs.  I'd just be annoyed :lol:  

I mean, a helicopter trip to have a champagne picnic in the Grand Canyon was $300 each, I'd find that much better value for money. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Did you end up doing anything on the way to LA?   And what did you do in LA?

We didn’t do anything big. It was too far away to do Death Valley or Joshua tree. Would have taken up the whole day. 

But we did go off the main free way and do a bit of Route 66. Stopped at an old fashioned diner and stopped at this bottle tree ranch place

In LA we spent a day in Santa Monica, a day in Venice, and then the last day I went on my own to the Griffith observatory and hiked up mount hollywood and a few of the trails around it. 

That was probably the best thing I did all holiday. I loved it. The views are amazing

• Like 4

Â