Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

But the point is Stan is doing both and yet still gets criticised. While Delph is doing neither and getting defended and apparently it's Stan's fault. :lol:

I am sorry, but what a load of rubbish that is!

The reason that Petrov has been released to roam more now is because Delph is basically picking up the leg work for him. To say Delph doesnt get back is just not true.

Petrov can amble forward as he sees fit and if the move breaks down, the one breaking his neck to get back and cover is Delph. Petrov will try to stick a foot in initially, but once play passes him, he gets back at his own pace.

This random policy when it comes pressuring the opposition high up the pitch is one of our isseus. Petrov, Bannan make an initial attempt to press high, Delph drops back to cover the back four. No cohesion.

As for Petrov not getting tired after 60 minutes so much anymore, again, because his workload is being picked up by a 20 odd year old recovering from a career threatening injury and playing his first full season in the premiership.

Over the next 3-5 years, I know who will be the bigger asset and if we had a decent DM, I would happily see Petrov go.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've disagreed with you on a lot of things macandally, but I agree with most of that.

I like Petrov and I see what he does for the team. But I believe Delph can offer so much more to our side, even if he isn't right now.

Petrov is a calming head and probably a good influence on the pitch, but there still comes a point in a game when players run past him as he struggles to find the energy to make an interception.

I've disagreed with you on a lot of things macandally, but I agree with most of that.

I like Petrov and I see what he does for the team. But I believe Delph can offer so much more to our side, even if he isn't right now.

Petrov is a calming head and probably a good influence on the pitch, but there still comes a point in a game when players run past him as he struggles to find the energy to make an interception.

I think Stan has been a revelation this season and I think we really are starting to see him back to his best. The big, and much documented, problem is that after 60 minutes he's knackered and teams can run/walk quickly past him. Probably the reason why we always find ourselves on the back foot towards the end of games.

Delph on the other hand is full of energy and enthusiasm but sadly so far this season has looked too uneasy on the ball and some of his passing has been second rate. What we need is a Delph/Satn hybrid or more realistically I think maybe start games with Petrov and make a straight swap for delph on the hour mark. The only problem being we need another quality central midfielder in there but I guess that's where Jenas would fit in (or even a recall Makoun)

Milner loan deal in Jan anyone?? Apparently we made an unsuccessful bid for a loan deal for him and Adam Johnson in the summer.

IMO Milner is exactly what we need in our centre of midfield - whether or not he'd a) come back, B) take a pay cut to play is a different matter.

Read in The Sun yesterday that Milner had spoken of his desire to play more in order to help his chances of sustaining a place in Capello's England team. It was through his excellent work for us that got him a regular place in the team. He just isn't going to get the chance at City. Wish we'd get him, we're not going to be of any threat to Man City this year so we should try.

He showed his true colours? I suspect Milner’s true colours are the shift he put in against West Ham. Remember we didn’t have to sell him, but we did. Did he want to leave? Yep. Does it mean if he came back to Villa he wouldn’t give 100 percent? No way. Without a doubt he would help us.

Thing is he isn’t going to come back.

He showed his true colours? I suspect Milner’s true colours are the shift he put in against West Ham. Remember we didn’t have to sell him, but we did. Did he want to leave? Yep. Does it mean if he came back to Villa he wouldn’t give 100 percent? No way. Without a doubt he would help us.

Thing is he isn’t going to come back.

This, I remember him being interviewed as he left BH on the way to City for his medical. I genuinely believe he didnt want to go, genuinely.

I cant remember his exact words, but it was along the lines of "Not sure if it is the right decision to leave, Man City offered a lot of money etc etc". I think this was engineered and sold to Milner by his agent.

I am sure that James Milner would have had no objections to finishing his career at Villa if City hadnt turned up with stupid monopoly money. I think every agent in the Europe is trying to engineer his player a move to City. Its called getting on the gravey train.

Delph on the other hand is full of energy and enthusiasm but sadly so far this season has looked too uneasy on the ball and some of his passing has been second rate.

At times I think he is just too calm on the ball. Against Wigan he lost it on a few occasions when we were under no pressure at all. He knows he has a good pass on him but I think sometimes he's just feeling too comfortable.

Sometimes I wonder how a goalkeeper can be an efffective captain.

They can and it has been proven.

really? Wouldnt say Casillas is a great captain as he only has armband as he is longest serving player

a great player for his position but considering he struggles to organise his own back 4 at times would mean he isnt great captain material.

Goalkeepers and forwards shouldnt be captains for me

Â