Mortimer Thinks Petrov is Rubbish (Poll Added)

Kiwivillan

Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Should Petrov retain the captaincy this season?

• Yes
    • No

How different our team/squad would be if we could just swap Petrov for Parker.

We would have a much more dynamic midfield.I think Parker could play with any of the other central midfielders and be a fantastic captain and role-model for the youngsters. However, I dont think the board will sanction a £7m+ fee and £70,000 a week wages for a 30 year old.

West Ham are desprate to get him off the wage bill..I can see him going at the end of the window for a nominal fee.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always thought we had quite a quick attacking side. Petrov for me slows it all down. Great leader and give us great service over the seasons, but he is finished for me and should not really be playing much anymore.

I think because he is one of the main players, its hard for managers and the board to either to stop him playing or move him on, If a player cannot play a full game due to fitness, he should'nt be playing anymore never mind be captain.

Ive always thought we had quite a quick attacking side. Petrov for me slows it all down. Great leader and give us great service over the seasons, but he is finished for me and should not really be playing much anymore.

I think because he is one of the main players, its hard for managers and the board to either to stop him playing or move him on, If a player cannot play a full game due to fitness, he should'nt be playing anymore never mind be captain.

This.

If a player cannot play a full game due to fitness, he should'nt be playing anymore never mind be captain.

Last time I checked Petrov regularly plays 90 minutes. The whole tiring at 60 minutes thing is a massive exageration.

If a player cannot play a full game due to fitness, he should'nt be playing anymore never mind be captain.

Last time I checked Petrov regularly plays 90 minutes. The whole tiring at 60 minutes thing is a massive exageration.

No it isnt. He is on the pitch for 90 minutes, but it doesnt mean he plays for 90 mins.

This guy seems to have been around forever. I cant wait till he is replaced. I liked him a few years ago, he is past it now.

Somehow though he still gets a game for us. We are so weak in CM. I prey that Makoun and Delph come good this year.

I was watching a goals of the season program on tv today, and Kyle Walker's strike against Fulham was the first in at #40. Anyway, the build up to that goal highlighted Petrov's frustrating inability to make up his mind on the ball. He gets into wonderful positions to spray passes to players making runs, but after shuffling his feet for a few seconds, usually ends up passing back. It got really annoying last season, and Houllier dropped him for a couple of games in Feb because of it iirc.

Houllier dropped him for a couple of games in Feb because of it iirc.

Pointing out the decision making of a useless manager doesn't really back anything up.

Until replaced with better Petrov is the man who will play. Makoun could go either way and Ireland and the kids still have a lot to prove

Houllier dropped him for a couple of games in Feb because of it iirc.

Pointing out the decision making of a useless manager doesn't really back anything up.

Until replaced with better Petrov is the man who will play. Makoun could go either way and Ireland and the kids still have a lot to prove

I'm not 'backing' anything up. Just pointing out an observation of a serious flaw in his game that really annoys me. Why are you getting so defensive, what are you his lawyer? I still think Petrov should start, but he needs to work on that, as he did when brought back into the fold. And btw, it is merely your opinion that Houllier is a 'usless manager' so that doesn't 'back anything up' either.

Fir about 3 years now Petrov has faded at about the 60 minute mark in games. When he's fresh he's really a very decent player. Should he be captain? Who else is there? We're not exactly overflowing with candidates are we?

Some of the Petrov hate in this thread is just bizarre.

Yes hes far from perfect and definately has faults but given our current squad hes a definate starter . To suggest otherwise is stupid.

Also where does Mortimer actually say he thinks Petrov is "rubbish"?

Well his certainly not prasing him?????

If we could buy a quality player for his position, we would have to make him captain and ween Petrov out the side.

Parker anyone..................?

You cant be a great captain if your not playing quality yourself, no one will listen. If he was trying to captain me, I would be saying where the hell was you, why pass it back, you was'nt even looking when I wanted to pass.......................!

Is this a good enough excuse for you Petrov lovers.

He's a great guy im sure but his footballing days in the premiership are coming to a close.

Yes hes far from perfect and definately has faults but given our current squad hes a definate starter . To suggest otherwise is stupid.

If we could buy a quality player for his position, we would have to make him captain and ween Petrov out the side.

You cant be a great captain if your not playing quality yourself, no one will listen. If he was trying to captain me, I would be saying where the hell was you, why pass it back, you was'nt even looking when I wanted to pass.......................!

He's a great guy im sure but his footballing days in the premiership are coming to a close.

Hang on - You do realise Parker is only ONE year younger than Petrov? and has a much worse injury record?

Yes Parker would be a good signing but s it stands hes not a Villa player and is incredibly unlikley he will be given drastic austerity measures this summer

Hang on - You do realise Parker is only ONE year younger than Petrov? and has a much worse injury record?

Yes Parker would be a good signing but s it stands hes not a Villa player and is incredibly unlikley he will be given drastic austerity measures this summer

I dont desperately want parker just someone more commanding. As for he is 1 year younger than Petrov, that may be so, but he could run the legs off Petrov quite easily!

Before Petrov came to us, wasn't he a goal scoring, attacking CM? I was under the impression that he was, and that it didn't seem to work here, so MON switched him to more defensive and holding role. Did I misunderstand his pre-villa role?

Marc albrighton at the end of last season spoke about what an influence Petrov is on and off the pitch.

I, like many posters on this site are worried how much service Bent is going to get this season. From the pre-season friendlies, certainly it ain't gonna be Petrov supplying the ball. Last night it seemed only Makoun and later on Ireland and Bannan got the ball forward. Petrov seems to delay and slow down play. Sorry for me he should not be first on the team sheet.

Â