Scientific Experiment V4#02-A. McLeish Approval Ratings

Gringo

Does Alex McLeish meet with your approval as manager this past 31 days?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Does Alex McLeish meet with your approval as manager this past 31 days?

• No
    • Yes

We will not finish 8th next season.

Top six in any order will be ; Manure, Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Plop, Spurtz

Next group will be ; Evernot, Blunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Villa, Baggies, Newcastle, Bolton

Third tier ; Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, QPR, Norwich, Swansea

So the first six will finish above us as will Evernot, Fulham, Stoke and Blunderland (IMO). For me we are fighting with Bolton, Newcastle and Baggies for 11th

Excellent so that's a nailed on 6th place finish for us then.

Next group will be ; Evernot, Blunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Villa, Baggies, Newcastle, Bolton

So the first six will finish above us as will Evernot, Fulham, Stoke and Blunderland (IMO). For me we are fighting with Bolton, Newcastle and Baggies for 11th

If we can be sure of one thing it will be Sunderland will not finish above us! We've had some poor sides down the years and still finished above them in 36 of the last 37 seasons :lol:

Last couple of seasons for comparison (purely subjective of course)

pointstable.th.png

Didn't want him but willing to give him a chance and so far hasn't done anything wrong. Appreciate his honesty which is a lot different to the pr shit we have to put up with in the general's thread.

Tbh if we have a poor season all my anger will be directed towards the board and not the manager or players.

You also said we were nailed on for relegation last year. :winkold:

Made two very solid signings and apart from letting NRC go hasn't done too much wrong

He was gone before Big Eck got here.

Was still a free agent - a missed opportunity.

And thank God for that.

Made two very solid signings and apart from letting NRC go hasn't done too much wrong

He was gone before Big Eck got here.

Was still a free agent - a missed opportunity.

And thank God for that.

Why???

We currently have in our midfield:-

1. Petrov- Good for 60 minutes in 15 games a season. Past it.

2. Makoun- One decent game last season, still unproven. Red card possible with every tackle.

3. Ireland- Over hyped oxygen bandit. And a raving looney.

4. Bannan- Small, unproven.

5. Delph- Unproven and like Makoun potentail red card every game.

6. Hogg- Championship player.

7. Herd- Championship player.

8. Clark- Can play there but better at CD.

9. Gardner- Completely unproven.

Not one of them is at the quality level at this point in time that we need now with the season weeks away. Would NRC have walked into that midfield? 100% yes!

McLeish has yet again done very little over the last 31 days to gear up Villa for next season. If he was told the wages are too high and he needs to sell before buying etc..Whats he done to address this? Today we have Heskey turn down a potential move to Leciester, does that surprise anyone considering McLeish is giving him a run out in pre-season, giving the player hope of featuring under his regime? Of course not..

Players like Warnock, Dunne, Petrov and Heskey are all gonna stick around whilst they have a chance of making the 1st team..I suppose to a manager of McLeish's standards he will see these players as top drawer, I mean he liked Carr and Bowyer, so these past it Villa players are a luxury to him. Yet a manager with better pedigree would have told them that they are not good enough for Aston Villa and where we want to be. A good manager would have been honest to them and told them that maybe they should instruct their agents to find them another club as they are no longer going to feature in the 1st team and the reserves is all we can offer.

Action is what we need...Funny that under Houllier within weeks he had Carew, Sidwell and Davies all moved on. And come this summer no doubt Warnock and co' would also have been the likely departures. McLeish is out of his league with a potential top 6 club and we are drifting further away because he isnt ruthless enough.

As did a few ithers at the time I recall

McLeish has yet again done very little over the last 31 days to gear up Villa for next season. If he was told the wages are too high and he needs to sell before buying etc..Whats he done to address this? Today we have Heskey turn down a potential move to Leciester, does that surprise anyone considering McLeish is giving him a run out in pre-season, giving the player hope of featuring under his regime? Of course not..

Players like Warnock, Dunne, Petrov and Heskey are all gonna stick around whilst they have a chance of making the 1st team..I suppose to a manager of McLeish's standards he will see these players as top drawer, I mean he liked Carr and Bowyer, so these past it Villa players are a luxury to him. Yet a manager with better pedigree would have told them that they are not good enough for Aston Villa and where we want to be. A good manager would have been honest to them and told them that maybe they should instruct their agents to find them another club as they are no longer going to feature in the 1st team and the reserves is all we can offer.

Action is what we need...Funny that under Houllier within weeks he had Carew, Sidwell and Davies all moved on. And come this summer no doubt Warnock and co' would also have been the likely departures. McLeish is out of his league with a potential top 6 club and we are drifting further away because he isnt ruthless enough.

Not having a go, but i think you are being pretty unfiar on him.

I mean, what can he do?

Hes been told no more money, and make do with what hes got, or ship somebody out.

How much would we get for Heskey? And when hes sold, we are down another body, and weaker in another area. Who would we get for the money recieved that would be an improvement?

Who is going to take people like Beye, if hes not playing?

At least the manager is playing Heskey with the purpose to get him sold, hence freeing his wages.

The people you need to look at are the idiots that have put these restrictions on him, effectively swapping the same conditions found at Small Heath, to here.

But hey, lets blame the manager for those restrictions. Something that Doug has seemed to have passed on to Randy rather effectively.

Anyways, im off to Derby now, hopefully see some of you later :shock:

The thing that will impress me about McLeish will be his ability to pick players on merit above reputation, and select the right side according to the opposition.

For example, if Bannan has impressed in pre-season, then I'd want to see him start at Fulhum ahead of Ireland.

Similarly, I would have no qualms with Heskey being played ahead of Albrighton, all be it on the wing.

Whilst I do not rate Mcleish at all and feel it is a poor appointment, I would not blame hm for this.

You do realise that should he let those players leave we are unlikely to replace all of them and certainly not with better standard as they cost money. So in those circumstances I would guess Mcleish is probably thinking it better to stick with what he has than lose them and not replace

Mclesih has been told to work with what he has, to me that much is obvious.

Not having a go, but i think you are being pretty unfiar on him.

I mean, what can he do?

Hes been told no more money, and make do with what hes got, or ship somebody out.

How much would we get for Heskey? And when hes sold, we are down another body, and weaker in another area. Who would we get for the money recieved that would be an improvement?

Who is going to take people like Beye, if hes not playing?

At least the manager is playing Heskey with the purpose to get him sold, hence freeing his wages.

The people you need to look at are the idiots that have put these restrictions on him, effectively swapping the same conditions found at Small Heath, to here.

But hey, lets blame the manager for those restrictions. Something that Doug has seemed to have passed on to Randy rather effectively.

Anyways, im off to Derby now, hopefully see some of you later :shock:

Its not a question of how much will we get if we sell them...The trans fee for players isnt as much the problem, yet more the wages.

Houllier got Carew,Sidwell and Davies off the books, it enabled him to sign Bent and Makoun.

Its McLeish's choice to work with these players..He could unsettle them and ship them out, enabling him to build his own squad. Yet giving them playing time and wiping the slate clean etc it sends out the wrong message.

As did a few ithers at the time I recall

Oh! Well if others did, you must have been right. :)

Â