Scientific Experiment V4#02-A. McLeish Approval Ratings

Gringo

Does Alex McLeish meet with your approval as manager this past 31 days?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Does Alex McLeish meet with your approval as manager this past 31 days?

• No
    • Yes

Voted no!!

He is exactly what I expected an arse licking 'yes' man same as every other of Randy's close advisors!!!

All he has done so far is talk!! The performance against Chelsea was Houllieresque ie gutless and pathetic! Not a good sign of things to come against Chelsea's B side?? I don't care how we played against Walsall and Blackburn was a slight win which could have gone either way.

Voted no!!

He is exactly what I expected an arse licking 'yes' man same as every other of Randy's close advisors!!!

All he has done so far is talk!! The performance against Chelsea was Houllieresque ie gutless and pathetic! Not a good sign of things to come against Chelsea's B side?? I don't care how we played against Walsall and Blackburn was a slight win which could have gone either way.

Chelsea's B-side (whereas we obviously started with our strongest XI!??!?!) ???

so, Cech, Terry, Lampard, Anelka, Malouda, Mikel are all B team - not to mention, they brought on Torres, Drogba, Alex etc etc???

FFS some people just want to see the negative in everything!

FFS some people just want to see the negative in everything!

Other than Given's performance there were no positives to come out of that game. We were gutless and completely outclassed and if you can see positives out of that then I suspect you will be a happy man this season!!

McLeish comes across as the kind of bloke I'd want managing me. You get the impression if he has got a problem with you he'll tell you to your face. He is not one to be going behind players backs like a sneaky coward bleating to the press on and off the record. That alone is a refreshing change from the crap we had to go through for a large part of last season.

His record from the minute he was appointed suggested it could go one way or the other with us in terms of relative success and obviously given we are yet to play a competitive game that remains the case. I like his straight talking attitude though and I get the impression the players have taken to him. His record suggests he is going to be found lacking in some areas but getting the best out of players in terms of effort won't be one of them and accepting responsibility for any failings won't be either. He'll man up and take responsibility and won't go around blaming any Tom, Dick, O'Neill, Houllier, Ireland or Warnock. For them reasons alone he'll get my respect.

I love his honesty, and he seems a guy i can believe in.

I just think hes being dealt a crap hand by the owner of the Club, more so considering his background. Acid test will be at Fulham, which is proberly the biggest game he will have at Villa. Win it, and i think he will win over a lot of waverers, and people will be behind him against Blackburn.

Loose it, and the pressure is on against Blackburn.

But picking on the manager for the decisions of the board has always been the way at Villa, and i dare say that tradition will carry itself on.

Squad - ►

Happy with new recruits but the squad lacks strength in depth (though there's nothing that can be done without backing from the board).

Team selection/tactics -

Pleased at how the re-introduction of fringe players has been handled, and use of Heskey on the wing assuages some apprehension over lack of cover on the flanks.

Media handling -

Won't have much to say until start of the season proper, what he has said thus far has been fine.

Results -

Pleased with results during time of adjustment. Loss against Chelsea somewhat expected, happy with application in tough conditions against Blackburn.

Overall - Approve

Can we have an option for "Meh"

This.

Let's hope we play some proper football again next match .. the long ball/hoofball tactic shouldn't have been even introduced (chelsea match), the defenders (mainly Dunne and Collins) must learn not to hoofball all the time and make simple passes or just a pass atleast (though they will cock this up like everything else in their defending).. it was painful watching that.

Anyway he is here now, has done some things right (not all imo) money isnt going to be given to him it seems so all I ask is for decent football on display as no doubt the defenders will continue to make silly mistakes.. so it's meh from me too.. though the signings so far have been good to fair.. Given will save us alot of points on his own it seems, N'Zogbia we know what we are getting with him..

He gets a yes from me

We got beaten by a much fitter chelsea side with a lot of quality other than that we have looked pretty decent preseason theres nothing he could have done about the board flogging 2 of our best attacking talent he also replaced one of them with a quality player on a 5 year deal

Its up to the board now to back him and prove he's more than just a yes man and give him funds come on we still want to compete at some level

Were still in need of an additional winger a grafter in the centre of the pitch to replace reo-coker and a utility defender who can play CB/FB to replace cuellar if he goes

But if Gardner is going to emerge this season as a real force we wont need a centre mid and if Baker and Lichaj get more game time we will be ok in the fullback positions i still think Dunne and Collins can be a liability so clarke will need to step in again this season.

Oh and big eck please sign Gardner on a long term deal i really do think he's going to be the next big thing sod rodwell this guy is going to do the business

"You can never say never but at the moment if we get N'Zogbia, which is looking good, then it's unlikely we will do anything unless there's more trading with the players we already have in the squad".

This comment really wound me up last week. 13 players leave, 5 from the senior squad, 4 from the starting 11 and he intends to replace them all with just 2! I'm no MENSA candidate, but even I can see that doesn't add up. No for me.

This

As much as I didn't and don't want him here, he hasn't done much wrong in the past month. Performance against Chelsea was crap, but it was pre season, it was Chelsea, and it was 45 degrees, so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think he's made 2 very good signings, said all the right things, and I don't imagine any restrictions he has on the number of signings are down to him

"You can never say never but at the moment if we get N'Zogbia, which is looking good, then it's unlikely we will do anything unless there's more trading with the players we already have in the squad".

This comment really wound me up last week. 13 players leave, 5 from the senior squad, 4 from the starting 11 and he intends to replace them all with just 2! I'm no MENSA candidate, but even I can see that doesn't add up. No for me.

This

Always intrigues me these type of comments and asking why managers do not sign better players etc

It is hardly his fault

He is, I would assume, intelligent enough to know that getting better players makes his job a little easier and thus he would want to get better players

The reason why he cannot get better players is for someone else to answer not him.

Ah you see! Never assume.

I jest, he's got his hands tied. Not a clue what is going to happen this season. I suspect we're going to drop back into the shit of midtable. Rather sad when this time 3/4 years ago I was thinking we had a chance of doing something worth all the stress we put ourselves through.

It could be a while before we're back.

I can only say yes really given that he can only do so much with the resources available to him. That is no ringing endorsement of him as I still consider him a poor appointment and one who will not really achieve much.

For the time being though my lack of approval is more in relation to those higher up the ladder than McLeish.

we'll still finish at least 8th (in our mini-league of 8 teams), which i guess is acceptable for a transition season like this one.

12/13 will be the big season for AMC, there won't be any leeway for another 8th place finish.

We will not finish 8th next season.

Top six in any order will be ; Manure, Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Plop, Spurtz

Next group will be ; Evernot, Blunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Villa, Baggies, Newcastle, Bolton

Third tier ; Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, QPR, Norwich, Swansea

So the first six will finish above us as will Evernot, Fulham, Stoke and Blunderland (IMO). For me we are fighting with Bolton, Newcastle and Baggies for 11th

We will not finish 8th next season.

Top six in any order will be ; Manure, Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Plop, Spurtz

Next group will be ; Evernot, Blunderland, Fulham, Stoke, Villa, Baggies, Newcastle, Bolton

Third tier ; Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan, QPR, Norwich, Swansea

So the first six will finish above us as will Evernot, Fulham, Stoke and Blunderland (IMO). For me we are fighting with Bolton, Newcastle and Baggies for 11th

Of the Second group, I can only see Everton being above us.

Exactly, only Everton should be above us, if any of the others like Fulham, Stoke or Sunderland finish above us, then AMC will have failed.

8th is our current natural position, better than that would be well done to AMC, lower than that would be failure by AMC, 8th would be neutral.

Â