The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

So with "fan favourite"(sic) Dwight Yorke piping up in the Mirror and the subsequent reactions to his status as a favourite, can we add anything significant to the list below of how exactly he ruined his legacy at Villa Park?

1. Unforgivably refusing to perform in a match while in the midst of trying to engineer a move to Man United.
2. Signing for United (which hurt like hell at the time, but not a legacy ruiner on its own)
3. Signing for the **** noses of all teams.
4. Then coming out with belters like "birmingham are regarded as bigger than Aston Villa.  I lived here for nine years and people have always said that birmingham supporters are much greater in the city."
5. Celebrating like crazy after scoring twice against us in a 4-1 win for Blackburn Rovers in 2003 to knock us out of the FA Cup.

And just generally, from watching him in the years after he left Villa Park, he tended to enjoy winding us up and belittling his time here.  Rarely if ever had anything positive to say about the club or his time here, until his playing career and the other avenues of income dried up and Sky gave him an 'in', and now so **** perplexingly he's regarded as one of the go-to pro-Villa pundits whenever we're on Sky.  The cheek of them.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

So with "fan favourite"(sic) Dwight Yorke piping up in the Mirror and the subsequent reactions to his status as a favourite, can we add anything significant to the list below of how exactly he ruined his legacy at Villa Park?

1. Unforgivably refusing to perform in a match while in the midst of trying to engineer a move to Man United.
2. Signing for United (which hurt like hell at the time, but not a legacy ruiner on its own)
4. Then coming out with belters like "birmingham are regarded as bigger than Aston Villa.  I lived here for nine years and people have always said that birmingham supporters are much greater in the city."
5. Celebrating like crazy after scoring twice against us in a 4-1 win for Blackburn Rovers in 2003 to knock us out of the FA Cup.

And just generally, from watching him in the years after he left Villa Park, he tended to enjoy winding us up and belittling his time here.  Rarely if ever had anything positive to say about the club or his time here, until his playing career and the other avenues of income dried up and Sky gave him an 'in', and now so **** perplexingly he's regarded as one of the go-to pro-Villa pundits whenever we're on Sky.  The cheek of them.

Dwight Yorke must have really pissed you off today

though your fight on both occasions ;)

I always found the Doug Ellis commentary on Dwight Yorke interesting when he was engineering a move away showing up at Doug's house early in the mornings begging for a move. I adored Dwight Yorke at Villa and I was devastated when he left but after the United spell, I was a bit older and wiser so I was quite happy that his career fizzled out. Well I felt that it did anyway and I saw that as retribution. Number 4 above is the one that kicks me in the teeth not because it gets under my skin, but because it us utter rubbish and when I watch him as a pundit, for me, this undertone is still there with him towards Villa.  No class at all and IMO, a very self-serving individual. 

In summary and for me, I never been convinced by Dwight's so called affinity to this club unlike an Ian Taylor for example. Love him loathe him, even Collymore has passion for Villa even though he can equally be an absolute trollope at times. Disappointing for Dwight as for quite a few seasons, he was an outstanding talent and he left young kids and others alike in awe. At the time, I never thought anything that touched his Mizuno football boots or head would miss the goal.   

the sad thing is and I know football fans say this a lot but on this occasion its true. Dwight Yorke would be nothing without Villa, in a pre-youtube/football manager days and a poor international team we actually took a risk on him.

He might have made it eventually to England but would have never got to level he did

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

the sad thing is and I know football fans say this a lot but on this occasion its true. Dwight Yorke would be nothing without Villa, in a pre-youtube/football manager days and a poor international team we actually took a risk on him.

He might have made it eventually to England but would have never got to level he did

It's the same with bosnich, yes he was at utd originally, but they released him. He was back playing in Sydney and took the gamble. Yet he still calls utd his club

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 06:15, Hornso said:

Brett Holman was interviewed by Fox Sports Australia about his career and coming back to Australia. Here's what he said about his time at the Villa:

Full Interview

Quite surprised by that, he was a regular 1st half of the season so I really don't see it as Lambert had a grudge because Mcleish signed him.

I thought we'd signed a gem early on...some good energy performances and a couple of goals but really as the season went on and we got worse all he really added to the table was running around a lot.

And he was never getting back in when Weimann-Gabby-Benteke hit their golden form from February onwards.

Love Yorkie....I was heartbroken aged 9 when he moved to United but that's life. A brilliant forward for this club though.

I agree he isn't hugely positive towards us as a pundit but a few of them are like that aren't they, Houghton and Bosnich are others and I can only conclude they played for us during our glory days of the 90s so know how big we are and despair at how bad we've become.

Worst one for me was always David Platt, constantly belittling us when he used to do Sky punditry even when we were regular top 6 under MON yet would never say a bad word about Man. United even though they released him aged 16. A very odd man.

• Like 1

Yorke is just another of the ex pros who probably isn't bright enough to make an alternative living outside the game so is only too glad to jump on the prem league gravy train.

Same goes for micky quinn, cascarino, savage and I'm sure in time joey barton will be snapped up by the media. Don't be fooled by his apparent intelligent comments, he is just a bully.

Off topic I know, but I found it incredible that he was interviewed by TV doing a documentary on football's last taboo simply because his uncle is gay !!! Tenuous link or what ?!

But yes it does annoy me when sky think Yorke is the go to guy for villa stuff. Like a previous poster said, give me Ian Taylor any day. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 17:07, BOF said:

Add to this Number 6. Has not seen his son in 8 years and wants nothing to do with him.

He is no more a Villa man than Robbie Savage is !!!!

Hes a **** muppet, he txt someone at the club asking for a job, it got ignored 

He says he wants a prem or championship job because that's the league's he knows, refusing to earn his spurs in he lower leagues or as a coach / assistant 

No one has sympathy for him, did see someone suggest giggs is white and wants the same and he doesn't get hammered for it, difference being he spent 2 years as utds assistant and he can't get a job either

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Yorke was on talksport this morning complaining he wasn't interviewed for the Villa job. Apparently it was because he was black, not that he wasn't qualified in any way what so ever.

Who knew.

He's even less likely to get a job now he's announced himself as a prick as well as unqualified.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Yorke was on talksport this morning complaining he wasn't interviewed for the Villa job. Apparently it was because he was black, not that he wasn't qualified in any way what so ever.

Who knew.

It was embarrassing.

You could tell the presenters thought he was a knob when they asked him if he would work his way up through the ranks. Instead of thinking he has a god given right to a prem or championship club because of his experience in the leagues.

20 minutes ago, jim said:

It was embarrassing.

You could tell the presenters thought he was a knob when they asked him if he would work his way up through the ranks. Instead of thinking he has a god given right to a prem or championship club because of his experience in the leagues.

That when he turned around and said he is a manager, not a coach? It takes a different set of skills to be a manager and the FA only shows you how to coach and take sessions. Dwight Yorke is " a manager."

I might try that on my next job interview. "So as you know, the role here is an intern, though you have no prior experience in this role, what strengths do you have that would benefit you?" "**** your intern position, I want to be a CEO, you racist ****."

• Like 2

Â