The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I just looked up his stats out of curiosity. 25 goals in 192 appearances, with most of those in the championship, and we kept him around for 4 years, unbelievable.

In fairness we gave him a new 4 year deal in November 2010 when he was still considered a good prospect. Indeed around that time all our forwards were injured and he had a little run under Houllier. Problem was he then fell out of favour the next season.

It was detrimental that MON never loaned him out in 09/10, he spent the season bench warming when a loan would've been ideal at that stage of his development.

Isiah Osbourne was probably worse...was finally released in 2011 despite last being a regular in 2007, that was probably an even worse contract extension than Salifou! 

Osbourne just signed for Walsall after a year out injured.

A lot of our homegrown players, especially the local lads have had questionable attitudes and hang around with people who aren't good for them 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

A lot of our homegrown players, especially the local lads have had questionable attitudes and hang around with people who aren't good for them 

Who/what is this based on? Not saying you're wrong but I've seen nothing to suggest that our youth players are any worse for this than any other clubs. 

The Grealish story is the only one which sticks in the mind but I've seen plenty accused of this with no real substance behind the claims. 

• Like 1

Stuart Taylor signs for Southampton on a one-year deal. According to wikipedia  he has played 15 times since he left us in 2009. Also he's been out of contract for over a year according to Wiki. 

I remember him being a promising keeper for Arsenal way back when. Wonder why he's been happy to be 2rd or 3rd choice for the majority of his career. 

3 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

Stuart Taylor signs for Southampton on a one-year deal. According to wikipedia  he has played 15 times since he left us in 2009. Also he's been out of contract for over a year according to Wiki. 

I remember him being a promising keeper for Arsenal way back when. Wonder why he's been happy to be 2rd or 3rd choice for the majority of his career. 

Had a look on wiki and he can't have played more than 100 games in his career?

He's no doubt comfortably well off for doing nothing

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Had a look on wiki and he can't have played more than 100 games in his career?

He's no doubt comfortably well off for doing nothing

I made it 86 appearances for all club games and Engand youth level. Can't help but feel he's wasted his potential. If we had less money in the game he would've gone somewhere and played and who knows could've played week in week out at the top. 

Can't believe he actually saved a penalty...he never got close to any of the ones when he played for us. Very much like Friedel who saved loads for Blackburn and then couldn't save any of the 20 or so he faced for us.

Richard Wright is another keeper who seems content just to be a reserve...I thought he'd retired around 2010 but he was still registered as a player at Man. City last season.

It's true in the modern game reserve keepers like Mark Bunn can make a very comfortable living moving clubs every year or two and just being back up.

With Milner playing as a LB for Liverpool at the weekend, got me thinking that you could make up a pretty decent team of ex-Villans still playing in the Premier League (not including loans)

Guzan (not a great start...)

A. Young------C. Davies------Collins-------Milner

Albrighton------Snake------Gana-------Barry-------Downing

Benteke

Subs: Myhill, S. Davis, Maloney, Routledge, Crouch

Probably missed a few...

Edited by StanBalaban

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

With Milner playing as a LB for Liverpool at the weekend, got me thinking that you could make up a pretty decent team of ex-Villans still playing in the Premier League (not including loans)

Guzan (not a great start...)

A. Young------C. Davies------Collins-------Milner

Albrighton------Snake------Gana-------Barry-------Downing

Benteke

Subs: Myhill, S. Davis, Maloney, Routledge, Crouch

Probably missed a few...

Given in goal. Cahill at CB

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Gareth Barry is 2 appearances off the 600 games club. If he plays every game this season he will beat Giggs' record.

the Manure loving media wont like that, it probably wouldnt even make a small column in newspaper

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So Robbie Keane bows out of international football with a lovely goal. The guy has had some career. 

said in Ireland thread, probably the most underrated striker in last 15-20 years

Â