The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Dion Dublin is coming in to our office today to do a Q&A session, he's doing some charity work that our company sponsors. Also its man u v Norwich at weekend, he's obviously played for both and my company sponsors norwich (aviva)

Too "uninternational" I would think Paul. Aviva is the kind of "global" name they want, "Norwich Union" (In their opinion) sounds a bit local. What sounds better for England's top flight rugby union division, the Aviva Premiership or the Norwich Union Premiership?

James Milner fears for his England future

JAMES MILNER fears that Manchester City's rotation policy could wreck his England ambitions.

The £24million wide man has spent more time on the bench than the pitch this season and has started just three games for City, He is worried a lack of regular action could affect his international career as England look to secure European Championship qualification against Montenegro tomorrow.

Milner, 25, was on the bench in Munich last week when Carlos Tevez refused to go on as a sub during City's Champions League defeat by Bayern.

He is not allowed to discuss that night's events as the club is carrying out an internal investigation.

But he admitted: "It has been frustrating this season. I've only played a couple of games and also had a few injuries so it's been difficult for me.

"I played 90 minutes at Blackburn on Saturday and all I can do is try to perform as well as I can. After that it's down to the manager. Hopefully I can stay fit, play more and keep improving to stake a claim for a place.

"The competition is very high at City and you have to play well every time you get a chance if you're going to stay in the team.

"But if you look at the fixture list and how many games we have this season, everyone is going to play more than enough matches.

"We want to challenge on all fronts and you have to use the entire squad to do that.

"We are going to get injuries and suspensions over the course of the season so it's important to have such a big squad with so much quality."

Milner does not take any comfort from the fact he could be one of the freshest players in the England squad going to next year's European Championships if he continues to play second fiddle to David Silva at City.

He said: "Hopefully I will have played a lot of games by the end of the season.

"If you're playing every game, doing well and winning trophies then you don't feel tired. When you're winning you don't notice the fatigue.

"But then you lose one game and suddenly you feel as tired as you've ever been. On the other hand, if you're not playing so much you might be fresher."

Milner won his 19th cap in last month's 1-0 win over Wales but admits it was hardly a performance to fill England fans with optimism.

He said: "We didn't play as we well as we know we can and that was disappointing so soon after our performance in Bulgaria.

"We have to improve our consistency to move forward but football is a results business and it's important to win games when you're not playing well.

"The manager said he knew before the game that we were going to struggle but I wasn't conscious of it. I don't believe it's anything to do with playing at Wembley because we've had good performances there.

"But it could help us being away on Friday because Montenegro need to win. They will have to come out and attack us and we'll be able to use the gaps.

"At the start of this qualifying campaign our objective was to win the group and now we're in a position to do that.

"We need at least a point on Friday and we want to finish the job. Then we can start thinking about the European Championships and make sure it goes better than the World Cup."

Ca't say I have much sympathy. The grass isn't always greener and I kind of (spitefully) hope he does miss out the Euro's to teach him that. What a waste.

Serves you right James.

You could have had a team built around you at one of the countries biggest clubs, playing week in week out, and probably cemented your England place as a result. Instead, you're a bit part player at the world's richest club, never get a run of games to build your form up to the best it can be, and are losing your England place to others who play more regularly for their clubs.

Who could have predicted it eh?

• 2 weeks later...
Â