The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

James Milner retires from international football :crylaugh:

what a clown

Why is that?

Fair play to him I think, he recognises he is never going to be a starter. I think he showed a bit of humility to be honest, admitting there is no point going because ' he can do a job'

I thought it was a shame he never got a sustained run at CM like Henderson and even Delph have. I think he had a lot more to give than being Glen Johnson's cover on the right wing.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Why is that?

Fair play to him I think, he recognises he is never going to be a starter. I think he showed a bit of humility to be honest, admitting there is no point going because ' he can do a job'

I thought it was a shame he never got a sustained run at CM like Henderson and even Delph have. I think he had a lot more to give than being Glen Johnson's cover on the right wing.

For me you should never "retire" from international football... You can not get picked, but you should always be available for selection 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2016 at 19:46, VillaChris said:

Vassell was o.k for England around 2002-03, common complaint at the time was he played better for them than us!

We sold him for 2m and signed Baros for 6m, the Villa way.

Baros was ok for us in a shit team. Of course he had a moody expression so became a scapegoat. 

The Villa way. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me you should never "retire" from international football... You can not get picked, but you should always be available for selection 

Disagree. As you reach a certain age you need to start listening to your body and prioritizing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really, Andy Cole was a quality player, Vassell wasn't.

Hence the Aston Villa part... perhaps overly colored by last seasons nonsense, but I think I should be forgiven that ;)

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Baros was ok for us in a shit team. Of course he had a moody expression so became a scapegoat. 

The Villa way. 

Thought Baros was a massive disappointment apart from his debut and the SHA game. His reputation was always higher for what he did for Czech Republic than for his club sides.

Was happy to see the back of him especially with Carew coming in return who was so much better.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Baros was a massive disappointment apart from his debut and the SHA game. His reputation was always higher for what he did for Czech Republic than for his club sides.

Was happy to see the back of him especially with Carew coming in return who was so much better.

He was shit. A very limited, head down player and wasn't exactly clinical in front of goal.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can I add the Everton game when he and Angel combined brilliantly. Shame nothing really came of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

What about people like Lahm and Xavi?

I'd even argue Gerrard and Lampard, over 100 caps, over 10 years service for England. Yes neither won anything but they turned up regularly. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What about people like Lahm and Xavi?

I'd even argue Gerrard and Lampard, over 100 caps, over 10 years service for England. Yes neither won anything but they turned up regularly. 

I think it's down to the manager to speak to the player and say that they are looking to bring in younger players, and that they appreciate all that player has done for their country. As a player you should still be available for selection.

On 8/6/2016 at 14:24, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The Villa way. 

I liked Baros, he got 8 in 25 games in his 1st season which wasnt too bad considering we played some awful football that season. he really couldnt or wouldnt pass the ball

dont think he got along with MON and we got Carew in return in good bit of business 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It was absolutely astounding that he spent so long on the books here

Sadly i can think of dozens of players that sentence could apply to. 

Â