The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

Interviewed on 5Live earlier today Wally Davis first team coach for West Ham, regarding John Carew:

'Big John, he said he'd been working hard on his own and said he was match fit.....that proved not to be the case...'

Not word for word, but close, I wrote it down once I'd stopped laughing and found a pencil.

Apparently had a great game for them today. Highly praised about his work rate, tackling and passing ability. Another player who I think was harshly spoken about. He wouldn't have made it at our club but he will make a good career for himself and he can certainly cut it in the Championship imo.

I saw the picture of Withe, Gibson, McNaught and Tony Morley on the OS today. Mr Morley suddenly looking quite aged. Four great players. Gibson knocked over my mates pint at the Coach and Horses pub just after he'd signed for Man United, trying to control our football!!

• 4 weeks later...

naughty naughty

A former Swindon, Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday footballer has been charged with handling stolen goods.

Phil King, 43, of Rodbourne, Swindon, has been charged with six counts of concealing, disguising or removing criminal property.

Mr King runs the Dolphin pub in Rodbourne and has provided analysis of Swindon's games for BBC Wiltshire.

Two other men have also been charged and will stand trial at Oxford Crown Court in November.

Trevor Bateman of Oakham Close, Swindon, and David Merriman of Swansdown Drive, Clifton, Nottingham, also pleaded not guilty to similar charges.

Mr Bateman and Mr Merriman face charges including fraud, transferring and converting criminal property and engaging in unfair commercial practices.

Mr King was part of the Swindon Town squad which won promotion from Division Three in 1987, before being transferred to Sheffield Wednesday.

After a career including spells at Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion, he returned to the Wiltshire club in 1997 making five more appearances.

3 old villa bys played last night.

Young scoring a last gasp equallizer (with his head)!!

Barry getting slated by Sounes for his slack defending on the free kick for the 2nd goal.

Milner brought on for his CL debut because Teves refused to warm up.

Â