The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Interesting...

I recommended Janoi Donacien and Graham Burke (now Preston) to my club last December as both was out of contract this summer and must have signed extensions before contract expiry! Both will probably go and have good seasons

Nice work. I haven't seen Burke play but wouldn't be surprised at all if Donacien kicks on even further once he settles in. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Libor Kozak moves from Bari to Livorno.

Kozak after moving to Livorno: this season I take as a last chance

July 31, 2018

Now or never. Former Czech representative Libor Kozak, after serious health problems, is ready to start a new year, which he considers to be crucial for a full return to professional football. The twenty-nine-year-old striker will after a short engagement in Bari, dress in the Italian Serie B jersey Livorno, where he wants to show that even by far he does not belong to the "old iron".

"I realize what position I'm in. Before last season I returned after three years to the playground, and in Bari, of course, I did not expect to give twenty goals. Now no one will hold a protective hand over me. No one says: 'It's after the wound, let's give him another time'. That is why I take it as a last chance to move abroad and above all in Italy. If I do, I believe that I can still play Serie A. If not, no team will invest money in a player who in six years scored a couple of goals," said Kozak.

After a tiring Birmingham torture, he moved to Bari in August of last year, where he began a new career stage. "The season I evaluate as a mixture. On the one hand, I was glad that I finally returned to the lawn, but at the same time I wanted to play more matches and have a more important role in the team," said Kozak, who jumped in the competition rounds for the New Year.

"From a personal point of view, however, I needed the half as salt. I've been practicing, physically feeling good, I've done ninety minutes without a problem. So now I have to bounce off," added the Brumovic native.

In the capital of the Apulia region, however, the emphatic forward remained only ten months. "I had a contract for a year and given the fact that I did not take up regularly, I was looking for other options. Even the leadership of Bari has certainly promised more from my engagement," he acknowledged. Jihoitalský Club, at whose stadium Tomáš Skuhravý scored a memorable hat trick in the 1990 World Championship against Costa Rica, moreover were plagued by serious financial problems, and there is even a fall from the second league to amateur competitions. "Currently, the possibility of starting in Serie C is solved, but nothing is yet decided," Kozak explained.

The eight-time Czech national team player eventually headed for Livorno, 800km away. "The offers I had more, but I chose to remain in Italy. After all I got a name, people know me and I know that if I do well, I could easily jump up a notch. The chance is there and I fight with all my strength."

The Tuscan team were relegated from Serie A in 2013/2014, and two years later dropped the competition lower and returned to Serie B this year. "For the management of any club it is not easy to gamble on a player who has given six goals in the last five years – in my case because of injury. In Livorno I wanted to be at the time I played for Lazio. I feel they believe me, and I will try to repay the confidence by the amount of goals," said Kozak after signing an annual contract with options.  

Currently, the 193cm tall Forward trains in the new team and the engagement started very well. After three games played, he has tallied the same number of goals – the last coming on Saturday in a duel with Cuneo. "I'm happy with the goals, but it's just a preparation and we are playing against Serie C teams so far. The team is going through a certain change and we will need to play for some time," Kozák said.

In addition, a former Italian national team player, Alessandro Diamanti, along with Dario Dainelli, moved to the port city. "Both had bids from Serie A, but they preferred Livorno, which in itself testifies to something. Several players are still coming."

That is why the question of ambition for the upcoming year is hard to predict. His teammate is Lukáš Zima, among others, the 24-year-old goalkeeper, who came from Genoa last weekend. "We will see what we will be at the end of the transition period, but the truth is that we are a newcomer to Serie B. At least in the beginning, we have to stick to the ground, we should put specific goals during the season," the Czech footballer continued.

The Livorno coach is Cristiano Lucarelli. In cooperation with an icon of the club, which in the year 2004/2005 was first in the table of Serie A shooters, Kozak is particularly pleased. "The coach was a great striker, gave countless goals and wants to play offensively. It's likely to be more of a follow-up in front, but I believe I can learn a lot from him. He was one of the reasons why I'm here. "

Already on Sunday, will start the season with a cup call with Casertana. Kozak believes that he will make good use of the preparation and return to the level in which he shone before the said fracture. "There are no health problems at the moment nothing prevents me from being in lime danger and scoring a lot of goals," he said resolutely.

"In May I will be thirty, which especially in Italy is no age. I want to Livorno maximum help, leave the past behind us and see in a year what our cooperation will bring to both me and the club. The right time is now. I feel it will be better and better. I am able to catch the earlier form," Kozak added.

https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/fotbal/378527-kozak-po-presunu-do-livorna-letosni-sezonu-beru-jako-posledni-sanci/

Edited by Michael118

7 hours ago, kingysilvers said:

Brad Guzan played the MLS All Star Game with a mic fitted so he could be interviewed as the game was happen, crazy stuff:

Dear God that is embarrassing. Trust the Americans to take something too far

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Good luck to him, but you have to say that his career is effectively over :(

I still believe he can turn it around to an extent. He's always been an intelligent player and has never been overly reliant on pace. I think confidence was an issue for him as it was for a number of his teammate when he was playing for us. If he can get that back and get some momentum going, you never know. 

Looking at Kozak's stats from last season, he featured for more than 70 mins in only 4 games and scored in 2 of those games. 3/3 so far this season from friendlies. His goal scoring record when you look at it from the number of mins he's played is still very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 00:17, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Graham Burke scored and got MOTM on his debut for PNE tonight. Only playing Morecambe but a good start for him.

Scored again yesterday vs Stoke

Â