The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just been looking at our long list of recently signed goalkeepers. I didn't know that Gollini is doing so well at Atlanta and has even been capped for Italy.  Perhaps we should have stuck with him?! Would have saved a lot of money and faffing about with about 5 goalkeepers since.

Wasn't there an issue about him not wanting to stay without an Italian goalkeeping coach, or have I dreamed that?

Anyway, he was pretty poor for us at the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wasn't there an issue about him not wanting to stay without an Italian goalkeeping coach, or have I dreamed that?

Anyway, he was pretty poor for us at the time.

That was the talk at the time, yes.

Villa legend Jose Angel Crespo only one round away from the Champions League group stages with PAOK.

Time to feel a bit silly if you're Benfica. They gave Andrija Zivkovic a free transfer this summer. He joined PAOK last week and this evening he scored the winner for them to knock Benfica out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

He was awful and permanently looked like a rabbit in the headlights.

Im glad he’s doing well back in Italy

Well he played in a new defence and he wasnt really that bad, more of a not giving him a chance. More than some people think of Bertand Traore for example. 

His replacement Johnstone will never get an England cap but Gollini will win at least 20 Italian caps. One of them is famous for good goalkeepers 

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Villa legend Jose Angel Crespo only one round away from the Champions League group stages with PAOK.

Time to feel a bit silly if you're Benfica. They gave Andrija Zivkovic a free transfer this summer. He joined PAOK last week and this evening he scored the winner for them to knock Benfica out.

Off topic but Zivkovic was rated as a future superstar. Good he is showing promise eventually

Bad for Benfica after spending big in summer 😂

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well he played in a new defence and he wasnt really that bad, more of a not giving him a chance. More than some people think of Bertand Traore for example. 

His replacement Johnstone will never get an England cap but Gollini will win at least 20 Italian caps. One of them is famous for good goalkeepers 

I don't think anybody is saying he hasn't turned into a good goalkeeper, and I'm perfectly happy to believe he's better than Johnstone. But the decision at the time was whether to persist with an unhappy player who kept making mistakes. When Bruce took over in that season, we weren't far above the relegation battle, there was a real question about how much time we could give people to start performing.

On 18/09/2020 at 19:19, Genie said:

There was a piece I read the other day but can’t find again about players who went bankrupt. Most of them played for us.

Merson, Friedel, Hendrie, Djemba-Djemba, there was another 1 or 2 that I’ve forgotten about.

David James has I think?

• Like 1

think has been posted before but just got around to watching this. Criticise his management as you will but a proper gentleman as usual and was probably the worst season for any Villa manager due to all the circumstances

On 18/09/2020 at 19:19, Genie said:

There was a piece I read the other day but can’t find again about players who went bankrupt. Most of them played for us.

Merson, Friedel, Hendrie, Djemba-Djemba, there was another 1 or 2 that I’ve forgotten about.

I think John Carew may have done.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

think has been posted before but just got around to watching this. Criticise his management as you will but a proper gentleman as usual and was probably the worst season for any Villa manager due to all the circumstances

Heard nothing but good things about the guy from players that played under him here and Birmingham and elsewhere.

Seems a brilliant bloke. Just an awful awful awful manager.

On 18/09/2020 at 20:19, Genie said:

On the other hand Carew has done exceptionally well for himself. No idea about his net worth, but he owns large parts of downtown Oslo. Also has a lot of apartments in the big European cities. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â