Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I remember his first loan spell at Brighton and they were not impressed with his performances, he then went to Forest where in his first spell he was the best thing since sliced bread, then not so much in his second spell. That 6 months is appearing to be the exception.

I actually cannot believe just how bad he is, the amount of games this season where he has been hooked off after an hour and I am scratching my head to think of one thing he did all game...not one meaningful thing...just anything. I just don't think he has the mentality to play for the club, his touch always looks shakey, his passing always looks strained, he is like a deer caught in the headlights at times...and this playing Wigan at home and away. Get rid.

• Like 2

On 18/03/2017 at 23:01, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Exactly my thoughts, think he will be off in the summer.

Another one who may have gone "stale" here and needs a change of scenery.

Thankfully for us,I don't foresee him becoming any sort of Steven Gerrard in the future.

Stranger things have happened!

Or even any sort of Bannon or Albrighton.

• Like 1

Don't rate Gary at all. Runs around enough, just not much else. Dodgy passing, doesn't score or for that matter shoot enough, neither does he tackle and win the ball back with any great consistency.

I honestly don't even consider him a decent backup if Jedi, Conor or Henri are out due to injury or suspension.

Nice enough lad, I just don't understand how he got a new contract. If he can't do a job in the Championship, how can be expected to do anything in the Prem, which is where we all intend to be in the next year or so.

• Like 1

Let's not write him off just yet, I doubt they just gave him a 4 year contract by mistake. 

Both Clark and Baker were ridiculed on here mercilessly. Baker has been great this year, Clark turned into a good center back too. Hopefully given a bit more time injury free Gardner will fulfil his potential.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Let's not write him off just yet, I doubt they just gave him a 4 year contract by mistake. 

Both Clark and Baker were ridiculed on here mercilessly. Baker has been great this year, Clark turned into a good center back too. Hopefully given a bit more time injury free Gardner will fulfil his potential.

By most people yes, however alot of us saw the potential in Clark and Baker.

With Gary, it's been injuries and chance after chance which he has seemed to fail miserably.

Anyway time will tell, I just hope he isn't hampering us having better in the squad.

On 3/21/2017 at 17:54, HanoiVillan said:

I was sat close to the dugout against Wednesday and Bruce was shouting at him very regularly. 

It was the same the game before that when he got subbed off first half (I think it was first half, maybe early second half). Bruce was going mental at him for most of the half.

• 2 weeks later...

A big blot on a good day. I'm very reluctant to knock players, from memory Richards and Lescott are the only ones recently.....but he offers nothing at all and continues to look like a frightened rabbit caught in headlights. 

Very very poor which means we need 2 good midfielders in the summer as he must be got rid.

How about that little guy that ran the show today ? Looked some player for this League.

• Like 1

Everytime the ball got near him the panic set in. Sliced clearances, rushed passes instead of just holding the ball and running into space. Mentally not up to it.

Would like to see a 40 yard screamer go in though before he leaves.

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

A big blot on a good day. I'm very reluctant to knock players, from memory Richards and Lescott are the only ones recently.....but he offers nothing at all and continues to look like a frightened rabbit caught in headlights. 

Very very poor which means we need 2 good midfielders in the summer as he must be got rid.

How about that little guy that ran the show today ? Looked some player for this League.

I'm also reluctant and even more so with Gardner as he is a local lad and loves the villa, but if we are being honest he's just not good enough....shame.

ye and Pritchard looked a decent player for them.

Gary is going to be 25 in June. Think he has had enough opportunities at the club and hasn't really impressed. Sometimes players just don't fit in, maybe Forest will take him back this time on a permanent deal. I think we can attract better.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Gary is going to be 25 in June. Think he has had enough opportunities at the club and hasn't really impressed. Sometimes players just don't fit in, maybe Forest will take him back this time on a permanent deal. I think we can attract better.

I agree with this.

I stay loyal to homegrown players. I supported Clark pretty much until the end, I supported Bannan longer than most, I supported Albrighton and Davis and I still support Baker, Green and Grealish and I think it's important to have players for whom the club really means something in the squad. 

But I've run out of belief in Gardner. The line was always that he was a promising youngster who got injured too much (I don't remember those promising early performances, but I'm not quibbling with the thesis), but the truth is he's barely been injured this season and he's absolutely stunk. You can count his really good performances on one hand with several fingers left over. As noted above, he's turning 25 and I think both parties would benefit from a parting of ways at this point. 

Just now, brommy said:

My mother once told me "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" so my comments on GG are considerably curtailed. 

That is very good advice

• Like 1

Â