Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

5 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Ron Yeates was a CB for Pool in the 60's

Shankley wanted to change the pool kit to an all red kit with a white ringed collar

He chose RY to display that the new kit being worn by such a beast of a player would already scare the opposition as soon as they saw them in the Anfield tunnel.

Shankly was a great manager and a great man

All the more reason why Liverpool are so hated today. Shankly stood for giving 100% for the shirt, teammates, the club and its fans. Liverpool fans responded with adoration for some of the best players ever to play in England.

They had players like Lawrence, Yeates, Smith, Hughes, St.John. McC....?Heighway, Toshack, Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, Kennedy, Rush and many more.

Now their "fans" pansy on about a past they never saw and gail themselves as knowing more about football than they do.

In truth, their local fans are the ones who would normally support Tranmere or Chester.

Half of the stadium is full of people who caught a ferry but could afford the bus to Manchester

McDermott?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I nearly had a tear in my eye reading that, and I don't even know who the **** Ron Yeats is/was. 

Probably one of the best centre halves to grace the turf....(excluding Paul Mcgrath and John Charles) probably played c 500-600 games for them.

My point was....you cannot have sentiment if you want to succeed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Ron Yeates was a CB for Pool in the 60's

Shankley wanted to change the pool kit to an all red kit with a white ringed collar

He chose RY to display that the new kit being worn by such a beast of a player would already scare the opposition as soon as they saw them in the Anfield tunnel.

Shankly was a great manager and a great man

All the more reason why Liverpool are so hated today. Shankly stood for giving 100% for the shirt, teammates, the club and its fans. Liverpool fans responded with adoration for some of the best players ever to play in England.

They had players like Lawrence, Yeates, Smith, Hughes, St.John. McC....?Heighway, Toshack, Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, Kennedy, Rush and many more.

Now their "fans" pansy on about a past they never saw and hail themselves as knowing more about football than they do.

In truth, their local fans are the ones who would normally support Tranmere or Chester.

Half of the stadium is full of people who caught a ferry but couldnt afford the bus to Manchester

and if you read tonights Birmingham Mail.....Steve Bruce echo's those kinda sentiments.

well worth a read.

Ron Saunders built our great side on those values too ...110 % was what Ron demanded and that was his benchmark.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I nearly had a tear in my eye reading that, and I don't even know who the **** Ron Yeats is/was. 

you need to get out more:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. 

ha ha.....its just me being an old fart, knows these players( you probably get out ,more than me).....but Grasshopper did a great summing up.

Getting a fairly easy ride simply because his name isn't Ashley Westwood. His performance was equally pathetic, it had shades of 15/16 all over it and he wasn't even at the club. 

The situation is so shit at the minute though we might need him for a while longer. Let's hope he can drag his head out of his arse and put some kind of a shift in.

• Like 4

On ‎5‎.‎1‎.‎2017 at 00:42, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Getting a fairly easy ride simply because his name isn't Ashley Westwood. His performance was equally pathetic, it had shades of 15/16 all over it and he wasn't even at the club. 

The situation is so shit at the minute though we might need him for a while longer. Let's hope he can drag his head out of his arse and put some kind of a shift in.

Yeah, just insurance, and probably (ok, hopefully) very cheap.

On 1/4/2017 at 10:29, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're aware he's 24 not 34?

Totally

the point I was making is, when unsavoury decisions have to be made.....you have to make them.

In the case of the 2 midfielders in question.....I think we have just procrastinated for various reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so with 2 midfielders already in, and Hourihane hopefully not to far behind, the new deal Gardner was given becomes even more interesting. 

Do we think his new deal was a business decision rather than a footballing one? And if so, was it a good decision? 

I've no idea what Gary earns, but surely he wouldn't have a particularly big sale price to justify the risk of a 4yr deal? What does everyone think?

Just now, av1 said:

Ok so with 2 midfielders already in, and Hourihane hopefully not to far behind, the new deal Gardner was given becomes even more interesting. 

Do we think his new deal was a business decision rather than a footballing one? And if so, was it a good decision? 

I've no idea what Gary earns, but surely he wouldn't have a particularly big sale price to justify the risk of a 4yr deal? What does everyone think?

I think he has a future at the club, although behind the new signings. I think some of the others will be less fortunate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

More competition for places and better players around him may bring more out in him.

I'd imagine with a long contract though he is worth around 2 million given the current market and though he was given a new contract he was on very low wages previously and I'd imagine even now he is on the lower side wages wise with in the squad.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I think he has a future at the club, although behind the new signings. I think some of the others will be less fortunate.

I agree with this.  Jedinak and Gardner as bench options with the new midfield we will have be tomorrow (hopefully) will be pretty good for this division.  I have a hope that surrounded by good players (which we seem to have now got) Gardner might kick on.  I think others will be on their way much sooner.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think at some point we must at least entertain the possibility that he will not kick on.  Not here anyway.

I agree I don't think he will in all honesty but I'd have him as back up over some of the others and that's all I can see him being now.

The decision to give him the new deal is a little easier to swallow with three new midfielders than it was a month ago.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think at some point we must at least entertain the possibility that he will not kick on.  Not here anyway.

I've entertained this for some considerable time. I'm very surprised SB gave him a new contract. Hourihane looks better by a massive distance.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

The decision to give him the new deal is a little easier to swallow with three new midfielders than it was a month ago.

Why?

If we have better starters than GG, I'd be looking more to youth to be backup. We'll have to give some of them a chance at some point. Andre Green's looked good when he's had the opportunity. The chances are as time goes on, we may strengthen further in the transfer market anyway pushing GG further down.

A youth player could use the opportunity to improve. I'm not sure GG will improve much more and that won't be good enough for where the club's aiming.

Â