Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

This lad does look to have something about him but there is a world of difference between playing youth/reserve team football ( both for us and Internationally ) and playing in the Premier League. The management/coaching staff will know better than any of us if he is ready to make the step up but I suspect that it will be a while yet before we see him starting a competitive first team game, certainly in the league, and he may at the present time struggle to even make the bench. If that is the case it wouldn't do any harm to send him out on loan to a Championship side where he can get some senior games under his belt.

I would normally advocate this but I think the problem here is that we don't have any back up/cover for SI. He is the only senior player that we have that can play in between the sole striker and the sitting CM'ers as far as I am concerned and, therefore, GG becomes really important IMO. The Zog could play this role but we only have two wide players currently. GG should be on the bench IF he is ready but, as you rightly state, only the coaching staff will be in a position to assess this.

He played some nice passes and looked very composed but had Delph and Gardner’s role been reversed in the game, I’m sure we would be talking about Delph in this way. The game was dead and there was a lot of tired bodies and a lot more time.

Be nice to see more of him as regardless of that he does look like a prospect. In terms of starting in the centre, I think Bannan probably deserves it more on the last performance.

You can wrap the kids up in cotton wool & it doesn't necessarily do them any favours (see Fonz).

Some kids are good enough to be thrown in at the deep end. I believe Gary Gardner fits into this category

Totally agree. If theyre good enough they should play.

20 minutes here and there literally does nobody any good.

I think loaning players to the championship is slowly starting to turn into a no go zone imo..

Sturridge at Bolton has flourished I can't help but think we should start loaning players to the prem now instead.. Delfouneso should've gone to a club like Bolton instead of championship.

edit : that said i agree with the above.. if they are good enough they should play..

Nice to see him get his debut after all this talk.

Was surprised at the size of him and on first viewing looks like a fairly complete kind of player.

As others have said if he is good enough he will play if he needs nurturing/bringing through then it will be more of a bit part.

Problem he has is that we have a lot of players in his position. What plays in his favour is that we don't seem to have found a combination that works yet. So maybe while AM is experimenting he will get his chance.

Anyway long way to go for GG as we have seen with Delph, Bannan and Albrighton all the talent in the world is no guarantee of success .

Sometimes you have to try things, if it didn't pan out I'm sure that the fans would forgive him and Eck would pull him off

Lucky lad.

LOL :oops: My bad but Gareth you must be some kind of perv if you think that he would be a lucky lad hahaha!

Great to see him, looked every bit as up for it as you'd have wanted.

Why was it nobody else passed short, played with the ball at their feet and pushed it/stepped away from tackling players...team actually looked like it had determination when he came on and hopefully he can get some important minutes to show that Petrovs days are numbered (in a positive way).

It is about balance and I hope he and the kids can strike that to end the stagnant central midfield we have been enduring for the last few years.

I predict that this season he will make a few appearances and he'll play so well that we'll continue playing him. Then, he will catch the eyes of MOTD and the papers will be full of rumours of him moving to Man Utd/ Liverpool/ Arsenal... BUT! He will stay with us because he's a villan!!!

That's my prediction. £1 to VT if that doesn't happen!

its about time someone in football showed a bit of loyalty (im looking at you downing)

We should sign gardner up to a massive contract, a bit like arsenal did with fabregas. Im not saying for a second i believe he is as good as fabregas, but from what i have seen so far (and i do go to reserve games when i can) he looks the business, and could be excellent for many years. Generally head and shoulders above the rest of the reserves, and most opponents too.

I predict that this season he will make a few appearances and he'll play so well that we'll continue playing him. Then, he will catch the eyes of MOTD and the papers will be full of rumours of him moving to Man Utd/ Liverpool/ Arsenal... BUT! He will stay with us because he's a villan!!!

A whole pound!!!! Good to see you putting your money where your mouth is :D

Ahh but is he defo one of us haha?! So we are told anyway!

Craig Gardener told me Gary was a Villa fanatic and has been all his life, loves the Villa.

I wouldn't believe a word Craig Gardner has to say regarding Villa! :winkold:

Find it difficult to get excited about our youth players. I'll either be let down when they turn out to be the next Luke Moore or let down when i have to see them in their prime performing for a bigger club that offered them more money.

If they're quite good but nothing special then I guess I'll get to enjoy seeing them play wearing a villa shirt.

A whole pound!!!! Good to see you putting your money where your mouth is :D

:lol:

I know I'll donate between 5 and 10 pounds when my lion turns silver anyway, so I could have put any amount below £10.01 and it wouldn't have made a difference!

Ahh but is he defo one of us haha?! So we are told anyway!

Craig Gardener told me Gary was a Villa fanatic and has been all his life, loves the Villa.

Never heard of Craig Gardener. Oh and who is this lad Ciaran Clarke people keep mentioning? Grrrrr.

Find it difficult to get excited about our youth players. I'll either be let down when they turn out to be the next Luke Moore or let down when i have to see them in their prime performing for a bigger club that offered them more money.

If they're quite good but nothing special then I guess I'll get to enjoy seeing them play wearing a villa shirt.

Gabby vs Blues. For these very moments, I am so happy about our youth system. 8)

Â